system shock 2 any good?

I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it for
a bit.

is the game good?

"known12" <tie702003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
> it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
> usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it for
> a bit.
>
> is the game good?

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130956/index.html

noman

known12 wrote:
> I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
> it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
> usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it for
> a bit.
>
> is the game good?

It's a decent FPS with some RPG style restrictions thrown in.
The quality of level design varies from good to mediocre
and actually goes down while you proceed. Enemy respawn rate
is pretty high and weapons keep breaking after minimal use.
Certain game tasks are designed to just lengthen the gameplay
with no real challenge, except to go to point A and point B
and then back to A and then C and then back to A and so on...
Well, the weapons break-down and respawning enemies are
persistent challenges.

One thing that SS2 is really good at is creating an atmosphere.
Otherwise it is no match to the original System Shock, which
is one of the all-time best FPS. However it's hard to recommend
SS1 now, in part because of the steps needed to run the game
on a modern PC (DOSBox may work with it without any tweaks)
but mostly because of its hideous interface that was designed
in the pre-mouselook days.

My 2¢
--
Noman

Quoth The Raven: known12 <tie702003@yahoo.com> in
1124235167.722050.181740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
> I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
> it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
> usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it
> for a bit.
>
> is the game good?

one of the best games ever released, and has been considered a template
on which other games up until now have been compared. watch these
threads, SS2 is still talked about today

--
A drunk person's words are a sober person's thoughts.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven: known12 <tie702003@yahoo.com> in
> 1124235167.722050.181740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
>> I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
>> it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
>> usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it
>> for a bit.
>>
>> is the game good?
>
> one of the best games ever released, and has been considered a template on
> which other games up until now have been compared. watch these threads,
> SS2 is still talked about today
>
> --
> A drunk person's words are a sober person's thoughts.
>
> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Yes, it's absolutely terrific (pile on the superlatives). It also has lots
of replay value because of the different character types and difficulty
levels.

shanec

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2004

In fact there are Texture Packs for System Shock 2 that really make it look
good for a 1999 title. Just google System Shock 2 texture pack and you will
find them.

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Quoth The Raven: known12 <tie702003@yahoo.com> in
> 1124235167.722050.181740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com
>> I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
>> it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
>> usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it
>> for a bit.
>>
>> is the game good?
>
> one of the best games ever released, and has been considered a template on
> which other games up until now have been compared. watch these threads,
> SS2 is still talked about today
>
> --
> A drunk person's words are a sober person's thoughts.
>
> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> Yes, it's absolutely terrific (pile on the superlatives). It also has
> lots of replay value because of the different character types and
> difficulty levels.

SS1 is better, but harder to run properly on today's machines.

rms

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:05:02 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:

>> Yes, it's absolutely terrific (pile on the superlatives). It also has
>> lots of replay value because of the different character types and
>> difficulty levels.
>
> SS1 is better, but harder to run properly on today's machines.

VDMSound is one step. The next step is to download a user patch to fix the
problem. (It's somewhere an the TTLG forums.)

At that point, the game works perfectly, aside frem a few random crashes
that would happen anyway.

wrote:

>> Yes, it's absolutely terrific (pile on the superlatives). It also has
>> lots of replay value because of the different character types and
>> difficulty levels.
>
> SS1 is better, but harder to run properly on today's machines.

Yep, and you can even play System Shock 1 today legitimely, even
though the parent company does not exist anymore (Looking Glass
Studios). Just think if it had used online validation, like Half-life
2 does...

riku wrote:

> Yep, and you can even play System Shock 1 today legitimely, even
> though the parent company does not exist anymore (Looking Glass
> Studios).

Now if you can only find System Shock 1.

> Just think if it had used online validation, like Half-life 2 does...

Are you doing an impersonation of steamKILLER by bringing up Steam in a
non-steam related thread?

"known12" <tie702003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I found this game sitting on my shelf. I never got around to playing
> it. have any of you played it? I am a little burned out lately on the
> usual hi tech games and would actually like to go retro and slum it for
> a bit.
>
> is the game good?

Still the greatest FPS ever and, because most things are now dumbed down for
the consoles, it probably always will be.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Mother Farquhar wrote:

> Still the greatest FPS ever and, because most things are now dumbed down for
> the consoles, it probably always will be.

Please play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and dare claiming the
above again ;). SS2 would have been nothing special, if it hadn't been the
sequel to the AFAIK much better SS1 and still it flopped because of lots
of design and level weaknesses...

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1114

--
Derek

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Highlandish wrote:

> VTM:B was great, but easy and monotonous

Easy maybe, but monotonous compared to SS2? You must be kidding! Granted
you do more talking than fighting but then in SS2 you had to read lots of
logs only to ever find the people dead already when you got to them. That
got boring early into the game and destroyed any kind of suspense for me.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Highlandish wrote:

> sure, but there were a lot more shocks in SS2 to pick up after reading
> the logs

What shocks do you mean? Enemies respawning in cleared out rooms or the
weapons breaking?

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Highlandish wrote:
>

>>sure, but there were a lot more shocks in SS2 to pick up after reading
>>the logs
>

> What shocks do you mean? Enemies respawning in cleared out rooms or the
> weapons breaking?

LOL. Mention SS2 and Werner appears .....

--
Walter Mitty
-

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, mace wrote:

> I have never understood that! Sure it was a little annoyance but
> definitely not a major letdown in an otherwise superb game. And

I hate to spend more time managing my inventory than actually exploring
the game. A thing which SS2 has in common with DX which I also dislike.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> LOL. Mention SS2 and Werner appears .....

Yeah! I just can't stand all this bullshit about this being the best game
ever. Same goes to DX or HL2 and other one-or-two-trick pony games ;)...

BTW, watched the Prey video recently and while I can't say anything about
the whole game, the portals and gravity will make it a classic or above!

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:57:38 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>
>> LOL. Mention SS2 and Werner appears .....
>
>Yeah! I just can't stand all this bullshit about this being the best game
>ever. Same goes to DX or HL2 and other one-or-two-trick pony games ;)...

Yeah! You tell them!

Ultima Underworld is the best, obviously! :)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Noman" wrote: RE: System Shock 2:

> Well, the weapons break-down and respawning enemies are
> persistent challenges.

Yeah, I got a little weary of those two hassles and the heat codes for
both - *especially* the respawning. When I get rid of something, I want it
gone (and on to the next baddie)! :)

> One thing that SS2 is really good at is creating an atmosphere.

Oh my gosh, did it ever! The sounds...

It got so I would have to steel myself just to "open that next door". What
*horror* will greet me beyond "that next door"?

No, it wasn't SteamKiller - so no worries there.

Mark

"Walter Mitty" kindly wrote:

> Mark : just ignore the idiot. He is a troll. And you blowing a fuse and
> threatening things which almost never come to fruition

We'll see. Although SK may merely be a child, he/she needs to learn a few
lessons. SK has hijacked practically every gaming group possible, but the
last straw for me was his personal affront.

> just makes you look a little bit silly.

Well, considering that so many people from so many cross-posted Newsgroups
have had it with him, it was my turn. But, yes, I agree that my post/threat
could have come across as silly. But I'm serious, and I have viable
resources - with time to spare.

> I agree with you about the game though :)

I'm glad! It was definitely under-rated, and its problems that have been
mentioned here could easily be avoided by easily inputting a couple of cheat
codes (the respawning, the "breakable" weapons, and a few others - depending
on one's personal taste).

I hate using cheat codes, but if it makes the game that much more enjoyable,
well - why not use them, eh? :)

Mark

"Memnoch" wrote:

> The Internet was not "around" when SS2 was released? Take your mouth of
> the
> crack pipe for a minute and explain what the hell you were thinking!

Of course, Memnoch, it was not I who said "the Internet wasn't around in
(1998-99)" (but you probably realize this), so I feel your incredulity.

I believe the original poster said it "tongue-in-cheek", and was being
facetious.

If it wasn't for the Internet when System Shock 2 was released, I may have
never heard about SS2.

Mark

I'll second that, the Body of the Many ruined SS2 for me...

--
there is no .sig
"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, it's absolutely terrific (pile on the superlatives). It also has
>> lots of replay value because of the different character types and
>> difficulty levels.
>
> SS1 is better, but harder to run properly on today's machines.
>
> rms

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:14:05 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>> Yep, and you can even play System Shock 1 today legitimely, even
>> though the parent company does not exist anymore (Looking Glass
>> Studios).
>
>Now if you can only find System Shock 1.

There it still is on the shelf where I last left it.

They are also selling it on e.g. Ebay for a few bucks.

riku wrote:

> There it still is on the shelf where I last left it.

I haven't seen either System Shock games in my area for years. And believe
me, I've been around the block if you know what I mean.

> They are also selling it on e.g. Ebay for a few bucks.

Don't trust Ebay. Don't trust used PC games. I don't consider this easy to
find. Derek's link wasn't working when I tried it. I'll try again later.
Never heard of the-underdogs.org.