Another BIBLE Videogame: The Rebel Planet: Orion

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the Xbox
videogame console
(looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)

website: http://www.therebelplanet.com/

trailer for the game:

http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/OrionGameplayJuly2005_high.wmv
(high resolution)
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/OrionGameplayJuly2005.wmv (low
resolution)

quote:
______________________________

"Before the Great Flood of Noah, thousands of years passed of which we know
virtually nothing. Civilizations may have risen and fallen - technologies
discovered and lost. What little knowledge that has come down to us through
the early chapters of Genesis reveals a world very different than our own.
Myth and legend also point to an ancient past rich with history.
Enter the world of The Rebel Planet. Rebel Planet Creations has taken this
mysterious world before the Flood and has created an imaginative fantasy
world where the truth of Scripture is our foundation and theme, but only the
minds' imagination our limit in telling the ancient tale of redemption and
faith.

In our first tale, Adam is an older man hardened by centuries of dwelling on
his own sin and the suffering he has brought upon the world. But into his
world comes a young lieutenant named Orion (the biblical Enoch) whose own
journey of faith will become the catalyst for bringing Adam back to a place
of faith and hope. Indeed our first tale is ultimately the story of Adam's
conversion to faith and hope in the promised Seed to come."
_______________________________

screenshots
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/Orion_Javan.jpg
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/Ship_Orion.jpg
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/physics.jpg
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/sunset.jpg
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/Orion.jpg
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/combat.jpg
http://www.rebelplanetcreations.com/Media/Orion_Javan2.jpg

Features:

a.. Seven huge levels
b.. A vast world to explore filled with quests, creatures, friends and
villains
c.. A living breathing ecosystem
d.. Dynamic day/night cycles
e.. An advanced weather system
f.. State of the art physics engine
g.. Advanced particle system delivers stunning special effects
h.. High polycount character models expertly animated
i.. A deep fictional history underlies a rich storyline waiting to be
discovered
j.. Develop your characters physical, psychological and spiritual health
and attributes
k.. Advanced artificial intelligence gives Non-Player Characters a life of
their own
l.. Superb voice acting with audio for all in-game dialog
m.. An outstanding music score

Rebel Planet Creations, LLC
1707 Golf View Dr
Buffalo, MN 55313
info@therebelplanet.com

Highlander wrote:

> this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the Xbox
> videogame console (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)

This is a joke, right? I couldn't find the punch line.

> i.. A deep fictional history underlies a rich storyline waiting to be
> discovered

Heh. Okay, maybe this is it. Kinda sums it up all religion.

If this is a sincere venture ... wow. Just wow.

- Sheldon, as usual, adding no value

Sheldon England wrote:

> Highlander wrote:
>
>>this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the Xbox
>>videogame console (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)
>

> This is a joke, right? I couldn't find the punch line.
>

>> i.. A deep fictional history underlies a rich storyline waiting to be
>>discovered
>

> Heh. Okay, maybe this is it. Kinda sums it up all religion.
>
> If this is a sincere venture ... wow. Just wow.

I dunno. I liked _The Neverhood_, and that was apparently Bible-based.
Sort of.

- Ron ^*^

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> But will it be as cool as the BIBLEMAN video game?!
>
> http://www.bibleman.com/bibleman/home.jsp

Dare to dream...

turk
--
My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the smoke and
choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the "National Day of

sketch

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategy (More info?)

> this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the Xbox
> videogame console
> (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)

We all know PS2 owners are either heretics or agnostic. C'mon, think man! ;)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Highlander <Highlander> in
pIidnTjfronNhJjeRVn-pA@comcast.com
> this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the
> Xbox videogame console
> (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)

because ps2 is of the devil, looks like a game where we can commit lots
of sins before the great flood washes us away. I wonder what
possibilities for immorality this game posses?
--
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and
catastrophe." - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

nostromo

Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Fri, 19 Aug 2005
11:25:47 +1000, Anno Domini:

>Quoth The Raven: Highlander <Highlander> in
>pIidnTjfronNhJjeRVn-pA@comcast.com
>> this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the
>> Xbox videogame console
>> (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)
>
>because ps2 is of the devil, looks like a game where we can commit lots
>of sins before the great flood washes us away. I wonder what
>possibilities for immorality this game posses?

Mate, w/o getting into the whole OT religion bullshit thing YET AGAIN, even
as a Christian, I'll not touch it with a 10' pole if the gameplay is shite.
It would be like the hypocrisy of watching a porno because 'it has a good
storyline' in reverse, lol. >;-)

However, I was just thinking the other day about how many games there are
out there ('A' titles I'm talking about, puzzle/abstract games aside), where
you don't kill anyone (or any thing), & where pretty much noone dies. Last
one I could think of was TLJ, but I think there was still some 'incidental'
death in that as well. Or ATITD the mmorpg. That's it. I'm out.

Is this what we've come to in 'adult' entertainment? Everything has to have
death to entertain? I enter into evidence games like GTA, Hitman & The
Suffering which are probably the pinnacle of gratuitous violence for the
Beavis & Butthead generation (with regard to topic material, gameplay merits
aside). Happy to discuss like adults, which I know some of us are. :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Toby

On 2005-08-19, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

> Is this what we've come to in 'adult' entertainment? Everything has to have
> death to entertain? I enter into evidence games like GTA, Hitman & The
> Suffering which are probably the pinnacle of gratuitous violence for the
> Beavis & Butthead generation.> aside).

I mentioned Beavis and Butthead to a younger student placement at work the
other week and he said "Yeah, I think I remember watching that once, when I
was about twelve".

Made me feel old :D

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

nostromo

Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Fri, 19 Aug 2005
11:25:47 +1000, Anno Domini:

>Quoth The Raven: Highlander <Highlander> in
>pIidnTjfronNhJjeRVn-pA@comcast.com
>> this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the
>> Xbox videogame console
>> (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)
>
>because ps2 is of the devil, looks like a game where we can commit lots
>of sins before the great flood washes us away. I wonder what
>possibilities for immorality this game posses?

Just had a quick look at the 'hi-res' video. So far:

- medieval architecture
- dinosaurs
- longbows
- spiritual health meter!
- giant spiders
- *stars* in place of blood splatter

All this 5000+BC. Impressive. (though the engine doesn't look bad & at least
the NPCs talk & move ;)

Hey, the gameplay & storyline good be fantastic. Who am I to judge?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

sketch

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003

> Just had a quick look at the 'hi-res' video. So far:
>
> - medieval architecture
> - dinosaurs

< snip >

OK, whoa. Architecture some 6,000+ years ahead of its time and critters that
became extinct millions of years ago ("IF they existed").

They lost me at "spiritual health meter."

turk wrote:
> "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>But will it be as cool as the BIBLEMAN video game?!
>>
>>http://www.bibleman.com/bibleman/home.jsp
>

> Dare to dream...
>
> turk

I had no idea these things existed.
That picture of "Bibleman" leaves me speechless.

> djin wrote:
>> turk wrote:
>> > "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Dare to dream...
>> >
>> > turk
>>

>> I had no idea these things existed.
>> That picture of "Bibleman" leaves me speechless.
>
> I got a pretty good chuckle the first time I saw it.
>
> What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
> consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
> mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked
> (if he had, I'm thinking the New Testament would have turned out a
> whole lot different).

Actually, metaphorically he did. He was pretty up front about it. He said
so in Matthew 10:34, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the
earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.", which is directly
followed by some anti-family rant in Matt: 35-37... "For I have come to turn
a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law
against her motherinlaw- a man's enemies will be the members of his own
household." Not sure where everybody got the idea that Jesus was pro-family
with this stuff and the fact he discouraged marriage at all, except to keep
men from sleeping around if they absolutely had to. Why do you think he
always kept the company of unmarried young men? Not that there's anything
wrong with that...

turk
--

Werebat wrote:

> I dunno. I liked _The Neverhood_, and that was apparently Bible-based.
> Sort of.

Very vaguely.

--
Arian

Fan of 'Order of the Stick'
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

Address me by name at North-net (with no hyphen), a 3-letter company
trading in the great south land.

Arian wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>> I dunno. I liked _The Neverhood_, and that was apparently
>> Bible-based. Sort of.
>

> Very vaguely.

If you watched the developer's video thingy that came on the game CD,
and/or read some of the stuff that Doug Ten-Naples wrote about the game
and his personal beliefs, it becomes very evident that he strongly
intended the game to be a Christian allegory. If you actually read the
entite "Wall of History", this is even more evident (Is there anywhere
online that I can find the transcription of the Wall of History from the
Neverhood?).

Personally I thought it was the best example of injecting religion into
a video game that I have ever seen. It had just enough of a presence
that it wasn't obvious and didn't interfere with the game itself, but
you could see it if you were looking for it -- and it you weren't
looking for it, the message was still there.

- Ron ^*^

knight37 wrote:

> > > "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message

> What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
> consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
> mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked
> (if he had, I'm thinking the New Testament would have turned out a
> whole lot different).

Of course Jesus didn't carry a sword. He uses a whip: John 2:15

--
Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - email: gaertk@aol.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/kgbooklog/

turk wrote:

> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
> > consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
> > mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked ...
>
> Actually, metaphorically he did. He was pretty up front about it. He said
> so in Matthew 10:34, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the
> earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

That's weird. In another book I read -- also written by humans with
their own agendas -- in chapter five, paragraph three, it says that
Jesus wore a clown nose, big floppy shoes, and liked to sing Teletubby
songs when he wasn't wearing a sombrero and riding a giraffe across
China.

I wonder which human's imagination is better? After all, if it is
written in a book by someone who claims to be inspired by their
imaginary ruling entity, and there is coincidentally NO EVIDENCE to back
it up, just the desire to believe, then how can it possibly be false?
9_9

- Sheldon, metaphorically ... my a%$

"Sheldon England" <sheldonengland@netscape.net> wrote in message
> turk wrote:
>>
>> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
>> > consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
>> > mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked
>>
>> Actually, metaphorically he did. He was pretty up front about it. He
>> said
>> so in Matthew 10:34, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to
>> the
>> earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."
>
> That's weird. In another book I read -- also written by humans with
> their own agendas -- in chapter five, paragraph three, it says that
> Jesus wore a clown nose, big floppy shoes, and liked to sing Teletubby
> songs when he wasn't wearing a sombrero and riding a giraffe across
> China.
>
> I wonder which human's imagination is better? After all, if it is
> written in a book by someone who claims to be inspired by their
> imaginary ruling entity, and there is coincidentally NO EVIDENCE to back
> it up, just the desire to believe, then how can it possibly be false?
> 9_9
>

> - Sheldon, metaphorically ... my a%$

Far as I know, he never actually had a sword or clown nose, floppy shoes,
etc. There're enough absurdities and morally repugnant sections in the
Bible to have to make things up.

turk
--

"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:de4rt7$go4$1@news.tamu.edu...
>> this Bible computer / video game is for Personal Computers and the Xbox
>> videogame console
>> (looks like Playstation2 is being excluded)
>
> We all know PS2 owners are either heretics or agnostic. C'mon, think man!
> ;)

I know I'm statting the obvious here, but I think this recent wave of
Christian proselytizing games
are coming from Windows developers, so the logical step to bringing it into
the console realm is the Xbox,
since they share a similiar development environment.

Konrad Gaertner wrote:

> > What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
> > consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
> > mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked
> > (if he had, I'm thinking the New Testament would have turned out a
> > whole lot different).
>
> Of course Jesus didn't carry a sword. He uses a whip: John 2:15

I forgot to mention that he even crafted it himself.

--

In message <04OdnYbKNPH3z5veRVn-sw@comcast.com>, turk
<turk96@comcast.net> writes
>"Sheldon England" <sheldonengland@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> I wonder which human's imagination is better? After all, if it is
>> written in a book by someone who claims to be inspired by their
>> imaginary ruling entity, and there is coincidentally NO EVIDENCE to back
>> it up, just the desire to believe, then how can it possibly be false?
>> 9_9
>>

>> - Sheldon, metaphorically ... my a%$
>
>Far as I know, he never actually had a sword or clown nose, floppy shoes,
>etc. There're enough absurdities and morally repugnant sections in the
>Bible to have to make things up.

Well yes, except that his point is basically that it is all made up in
the first place. Someone said to be called Matthew tells us Jesus had a
sword. Someone said to be called Sheldon tells us Jesus had a clown's
nose. Why should we believe Matthew any more than Sheldon - or indeed
vice versa?
--
John Secker

> because ps2 is of the devil, looks like a game where we can commit lots
> of sins before the great flood washes us away. I wonder what possibilities
> for immorality this game posses?

I wonder if there'll be a "hot coffee" version? :)

nostromo

Thus spake Konrad Gaertner <kgaertner@worldnet.att.net>, Fri, 19 Aug 2005
19:12:15 GMT, Anno Domini:

>> What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
>> consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
>> mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked
>> (if he had, I'm thinking the New Testament would have turned out a
>> whole lot different).
>
>Of course Jesus didn't carry a sword. He uses a whip: John 2:15

Very good point. Maybe in later installments then:

"turk" wrote:

> Actually, metaphorically (Jesus) did carry a sword. He was pretty up
> front about it. He said so in Matthew 10:34, "Do not suppose that I have
> come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a
> sword.", which is directly followed by some anti-family rant in Matt:
> 35-37... "For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter
> against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her motherinlaw- a man's
> enemies will be the members of his own household." Not sure where
> everybody got the idea that Jesus was pro-family with this stuff...

turk, I think that - like you said - Jesus metaphorically meant when he said
(or Matthew or whomever wrote it all down): "I did not come to bring peace,
but a sword.", and then the Man against father, etc.stuff. could be compared
to not-so-new psychology-speak called "co-dependence".

That Jesus was saying to people; to think for yourselves, and not be an
unhappy co-habitant causing or contributing to an unhealthy family dynamic.
For example, if the father was a shepherd, and if the son was not happy
following in his father's path of work then the son should venture forth
(and be allowed to do so without hand-wringing and grief trips), and find
one's own bliss and calling - but then again - don't abandon those family
members who are in need.

My 2 cents, and I'm not an biblical expert whatsoever. However - this
passage really spoke to me at a time when I needed to make decision to find
my own path - and without turning my back on those I love - my family.

Back to regular fun programming: madness and mayhem! :)

Mark

nostromo

Thus spake "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com>, 19 Aug 2005 13:54:54 -0700,
Anno Domini:

>Knight37 wrote:
>> >
>> > Actually, metaphorically he did. He was pretty up front about it. He said
>> > so in Matthew 10:34, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the
>> > earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.",
>>
>> He may have carried a metephorical sword, but I know for a fact that he
>> didn't have a real one like BIBLEMAN because I got the Jesus action
>> figure.
>
>Here's a picture of my action figure:
>
>http://www.jayandsilentbob.com/budchrisdass1.html
>
>I wanted to get the Jesus with the Kung-Fu grip but I couldn't find it.

You idiot! ROFLMAO! (though I shouldn't, he, he ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake "turk" <turk96@comcast.net>, Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:23:54 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>> What I thought was goofy about it... would even a religious person
>> consider this something they should be subjecting their kids to? I
>> mean, he's got a SWORD. Jesus didn't carry a SWORD last time I checked
>> (if he had, I'm thinking the New Testament would have turned out a
>> whole lot different).
>
>Actually, metaphorically he did. He was pretty up front about it. He said
>so in Matthew 10:34, "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the
>earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.", which is directly
>followed by some anti-family rant in Matt: 35-37... "For I have come to turn
>a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law
>against her motherinlaw- a man's enemies will be the members of his own
>household." Not sure where everybody got the idea that Jesus was pro-family
>with this stuff and the fact he discouraged marriage at all, except to keep
>men from sleeping around if they absolutely had to. Why do you think he
>always kept the company of unmarried young men? Not that there's anything
>wrong with that...
>
>turk

I like the one about mothers leaving there children behind when the final
trumpet sounds & not look back. Forget where it is.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.