Free shooters?

Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for download?
I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested to see if
any are worth it...? TIA all...

Alex

Walter Mitty wrote:
> Paul Moloney wrote:
> >>Well : I never knew that. I thought it was : hence the site is still there
> >>and operating with none of the usual warez issues.
> >

> > Their policy is to only host games which are (a) out of print, (b) not
> > in stock by any retailer or resellers and (c) haven't been requested
> > to be taken down by the copyright holder. This includes lots of games
> > for which the company went out of business and there is no left to
> > defend the copyright, plus of course those who can't see the point.
> >
> > More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
> >

> I thought this was the case : I dont believe its strictly illegal
> because no one owns the rights anymore and cant be assed to harvest
> pennies from ancient halcyon days gamers.

Copyright doesn't cease to protect the game just because it's not being
sold any longer. It's still just as illegal to download abandonware
games as it is to download the latest and greatest warez. The only
difference is, no one is likely to CARE about it. One could argue that
the moral implications of downloading a game you can't buy in a store
anymore anyway are different than downloading a fresh new title just
because you're too cheap or lazy to go down to the store. But morals
don't mean dick regarding the legality of it. Basically, if you don't
want to break the law, do not download abandonware. If breaking the law
doesn't bother you, do what you want.

Knight37

Toby

On 2005-08-19, AAvK <ahem@notquite.net> wrote:

> Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for download?
> I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested to see if
> any are worth it...? TIA all...

You can pick up good FPSes for a few pounds from Ebay. That's almost free.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:de4ra0$gaq$1@news.tamu.edu...
> America's Army. Google it. You should be able to find it for free.

He said he didn't want multiplayer.

turk
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Toby wrote:
> On 2005-08-19, AAvK <ahem@notquite.net> wrote:
>
>>Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for download?
>>I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested to see if
>>any are worth it...? TIA all...
>

> You can pick up good FPSes for a few pounds from Ebay. That's almost free.

Do you have a problem with the language? He said "free". i.e No cost.

Here:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

Andrew

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:01:35 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Do you have a problem with the language? He said "free". i.e No cost.
>
>Here:
>
>http://www.the-underdogs.org/

And he also said "I do not want illegal stuff". Abandonware is not
legal.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:38:19 -0700, "AAvK" <ahem@notquite.net> wrote:

>|Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for download?
>|I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested to see if
>|any are worth it...? TIA all...
>|
>|Alex

Here's a free shooter and its only 96kb.

Pluvious

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:01:35 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Do you have a problem with the language? He said "free". i.e No cost.
>>
>>Here:
>>
>>http://www.the-underdogs.org/
>

> And he also said "I do not want illegal stuff". Abandonware is not
> legal.

Well : I never knew that. I thought it was : hence the site is still
there and operating with none of the usual warez issues.

> Well : I never knew that. I thought it was : hence the site is still there
> and operating with none of the usual warez issues.

Their policy is to only host games which are (a) out of print, (b) not
in stock by any retailer or resellers and (c) haven't been requested
to be taken down by the copyright holder. This includes lots of games
for which the company went out of business and there is no left to
defend the copyright, plus of course those who can't see the point.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"I've created an atmosphere where I'm a friend first, boss
second. Probably entertainer third."

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

AAvK wrote:
> Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for download?
> I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested to see if
> any are worth it...? TIA all...
>
> Alex

Here's one:
http://www.planetquake.com/cor/codered/aquire.html

The games Martian Chronicles and Battle for Earth
are single player, Alien Arena is designed for
multiplayer but can be played off line with bot
opponents.

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

"max" <max@nospam.com> wrote in message
> AAvK wrote:
>> Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for
>> download?
>> I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested
>> to see if
>> any are worth it...? TIA all...
>>
>> Alex
> Here's one:
> http://www.planetquake.com/cor/codered/aquire.html
>
> The games Martian Chronicles and Battle for Earth
> are single player, Alien Arena is designed for
> multiplayer but can be played off line with bot
> opponents.

Damn, those look pretty cool from the screenshots. How's the gameplay?

turk
--

Paul Moloney wrote:
>>Well : I never knew that. I thought it was : hence the site is still there
>>and operating with none of the usual warez issues.
>

> Their policy is to only host games which are (a) out of print, (b) not
> in stock by any retailer or resellers and (c) haven't been requested
> to be taken down by the copyright holder. This includes lots of games
> for which the company went out of business and there is no left to
> defend the copyright, plus of course those who can't see the point.
>
> More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

I thought this was the case : I dont believe its strictly illegal
because no one owns the rights anymore and cant be assed to harvest
pennies from ancient halcyon days gamers.

> Here's one:
> http://www.planetquake.com/cor/codered/aquire.html
>
> The games Martian Chronicles and Battle for Earth
> are single player, Alien Arena is designed for
> multiplayer but can be played off line with bot
> opponents.

YEAH that's pretty much the idea, free games made with any quake engine, thanks.

--
Alex -

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:11:13 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Sketch" <nah@no.nut> wrote in message news:de4ra0$gaq$1@news.tamu.edu...
>> America's Army. Google it. You should be able to find it for free.
>
>He said he didn't want multiplayer.
>
>turk

you could check out www.noodan.com all the games on there are
freeware and/or remakes of classic games.. they have some good stuff
on there including some FPS's

toadie

x-no-archive: yes

AAvK wrote:

<snip>

pc games require full time highly skilled professional
talents so someone has to pay for it
if you don't want to pay it only means you have no place
in pc games and you need to choose a less sophisticated
hobby which doesn't require others to work for you for
free

also in a time were pc game sales and profits are down
the last thing you can expect from us who love pc games
is telling you ways to run away from a DUTY we must all
take which is: SUPPORT and FINANCE pc games

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Andrew

wrote:

>Here's a free shooter and its only 96kb.

Do you see the word binary in the name of the group?

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

> Damn, those look pretty cool from the screenshots. How's the gameplay?
>
> turk

The gameplay is similar to that of Quake2

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

AAvK wrote:
>>Here's one:
>>http://www.planetquake.com/cor/codered/aquire.html
>>
>>The games Martian Chronicles and Battle for Earth
>>are single player, Alien Arena is designed for
>>multiplayer but can be played off line with bot
>>opponents.
>

> YEAH that's pretty much the idea, free games made with any quake engine, thanks.

Here's a website with some free first person shooters
(these are not demos, shareware or "abandonware").
Mnay of them are poor, though.

http://www.gamehippo.com/cat/1-1_1.shtml

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

wrote:

>Here's a free shooter and its only 96kb.
>

>Pluvious

Wow.

That's pretty impressive stuff for such a tiny size. I'd like to play
the full game when it's available.

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Well : I never knew that. I thought it was : hence the site is still there
>> and operating with none of the usual warez issues.
>
>Their policy is to only host games which are (a) out of print, (b) not
>in stock by any retailer or resellers and (c) haven't been requested
>to be taken down by the copyright holder. This includes lots of games
>for which the company went out of business and there is no left to
>defend the copyright, plus of course those who can't see the point.
>
>More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Her policy is to host games that make her popular with the lame warez
kiddies she surrounds herself with. She has knowingly put online plenty
of games that aren't a, b AND c in the past. Eg Mad Dog McCree, a couple
of the Dragon's Lair games, Loom etc.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:26:50 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>|On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:17:38 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
>|wrote:
>|
>|>Here's a free shooter and its only 96kb.
>|
>|Do you see the word binary in the name of the group?

Oh give it a rest.. its only 96kb whinner.

Pluvious

Walter Mitty wrote:

> Toby wrote:
> > On 2005-08-19, AAvK <ahem@notquite.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Just curious if there are any free 1st person shooters out there for download?
> >>I do not want illegal stuff or online play only, either. I am interested to see if
> >>any are worth it...? TIA all...
> >

> > You can pick up good FPSes for a few pounds from Ebay. That's almost free.
> >

> Do you have a problem with the language? He said "free". i.e No cost.
>
> Here:
>
> http://www.the-underdogs.org/

OMG are they still going?

I don't see amy moral problems with abandonware. After all if
the publishers don't give a toss why should anyone who downloads
off there...

Andrew

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 08:44:49 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>>|Do you see the word binary in the name of the group?
>
>Oh give it a rest.. its only 96kb whinner.

Apart from the *fact* that this is not a binary newsgroup, the point
is that it is stupid to post such a file as any decent news server
strips out the file so most people won't even see it.