Windows 7 svchost.exe

mejo255

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hello, when I click "open" on a file or folder...my screen loads up with "delete this file?" "delete this folder?" messages by the dozens! In the task manager all these messages are under the process svchost.exe Is this an infection? Can it be fixed/removed?

You can answer both questions by running AV scan and other malware scans, and repair the OS.

Suggesting safe mode scanning with Malwarebytes should not be recommended. There are various reasons, but the main one being that because Windows loads limited resources in safe mode, a system resource that is infected may not be loaded, ergo, not detected. Safe Mode scans were recommended only in the case where MBAM could not run in normal mode, but the newest release has Chameleon to disguise itself to run in normal mode. Also if doing any scans in safe mode, they should be followed up by repeating the scan in normal mode.

mejo255

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I ran virus scans (Avast, Super-Antispyware, Clamwin) nothing comes up.
I have now done a complete re-install of Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything seems great at first...but after a few minutes the "Delete this folder?" response (with up to 10 or more message windows opening up, one after another) happens again when I double click a folder to Open it. When I go to Task Manager it locks up instantly with "Stop this process?" messages. The cursor also does a weak and irregular blinking...???!!!

mejo255

Honorable
May 5, 2012

........................................................................................................................

I ran virus scans (Avast, Super-Antispyware, Clamwin) nothing comes up.
I have now done a complete re-install of Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything seems great at first...but after a few minutes the "Delete this folder?" response (with up to 10 or more message windows opening up, one after another) happens again when I double click a folder to Open it. When I go to Task Manager it locks up instantly with "Stop this process?" messages. The cursor also does a weak and irregular blinking...???!!!

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Mejo, this is definately a software-based issue and since you have "done a complete re-install of Windows 7 Ultimate" but the problem quickly resurfaces despite anti-virus, etc scanning:

1. Remove ide/sata connections from all HDDs appart from your C drive.
2. Unplug you internet connection to your PC.
3. Re-install your Win 7 making sure you select Format C/Destination drive 1st - your Win 7 MUST be a purchased version - for obvious reasons not a downloaded cracked version.
4. Wait 'a few minutes' after install completes - for testing purposes, ignore installing any drivers other than those within the windows installation (you will install these later)
5. Do these 'delete' messages appear at this stage? - they shouldn't from a win-only install !! Wait a while longer to confirm no messages.

6. Re-connect your internet to the PC and wait a few minutes till windows update tells you to download updates. Allow all windows updates to download and install - you'll also be automatically installing any missed devices+device updates (gfx card, etc).
7. Once all updates are installed (reboot pc if asked) wait a while. Do any messages appear? - again, they shouldn't with windows certified drivers. If there are any drivers that windows update missed (e.g. webcam, printer) navigate to each manufacturer's website and download and install. Repeat 7 above.
8. Now re-download your virus software + mbam, spywareblaster, spybot search and destroy and any firewall alternative. Run each and update definitions. Allow each to full scan C.
9. Power down pc, re-connect any additional HDDs, power up pc. Scan all additional HDDs with all in 8. above.

10. Wait a while. Do any messages appear? - for the same reasons, none shouldn't.

If, however, you do get any pop-up's let us know at which stage these appear.

mejo255

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Thanks for all your responses... Forums could solve world problems!

After taking with a very computer savvy friend, who told me I probably had a virus that could survive an OS re install, formatting, etc ... I did a bit more research and found there is such a type of virus that hits the BIOS.

So I Killdisk-ed the hard drive ...
Restarted with Hiren's Boot Disk and deleted the CMOS ...
Shut down and removed the hard drive.
I restarted (without hard drive) with Ubuntu Live Boot CD that had a Mini XP option ... loaded the XP and flashed the BIOS with a new download of the BIOS on a USB stick...
Then shut down, put hard drive back in and re installed Windows 7.

When I reinstalled Windows 7 I formated AND then deleted each partition.

So far the computer is working as usual!! ~Fingers crossed~

TRENDING THREADS