Video Capture Hardware

cauldar1971

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
I'm looking to build my own system and I just need a little help. I'm wanting to build a video editing system but I'm also love games. I've been looking into getting a Geforce 4 4600, but I've also got this thing going with wanting to do HQ video capture.

I own a Sony DCR-TRV740 Digital8 camcorder. I want to make some festival films, so high digitizing/output quality will be a priority. I've got one of those IEEE 1394 connectors with a USB connector for the computer end.

Do I have to have a video capture card at all? If so, can I have an AGP gaming card and a PCI video capture card at the same time or do I have to go with a All-In-Wonder type of thing? Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should get?

I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cauldar1971 on 09/15/02 12:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Theres systems out there that capture through Firewire and USB, but the cheaper ones do not capture in Stereo Audio or have S-Video input, beware of those.

PS I believe you meant Gforce 4 4600.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
I own an AIW Radeon 8500 dv. I'll give the background info and let you decide.
Price was $204 after shipping when I got it.
It comes with it's own IEEE 1394 (firewire)port.
Input and output composite, S-video, RCA left and right also come with the card. Two of each port, one for input and another for output.
TV tuner capabilities are excellent.
Perhaps the coolest feature is the remote control.

I've had 3D-Marks 2001SE scores as high as 7500+ with out doing anything special.(Athlon XP 1700+)

The GPU is underclocked. If you can find software, you can clock it back up to the clock rating of the Original Radeon 8500. I haven't done this. I have as of yet to find the software.

If the 3D performance is good enough for you, you'll love this card.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.

trashstar

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2002
where on earth did you find it for $200? here in sweden they're impossible t iofind for less than $500...

i've been dying to put my hands on one of those. they seem like the perfect card for me, since i'm not a hardcore gamer, even though i enjoy shooting up my friends now & then, but i could really do with all them great extras. hard drive vcr, for instance...

/jac