HL2: Lost Coast for those who bought the DVD

Anyone heard anything about those of us who didn't buy through Steam of being
able to get this or indeed any of the other products available through Steam
only at the moment?

x-no-archive: yes

KCB wrote:

<snip>

you really don't see it do you
but that is exactly what valve wants, stupid ignorant gamers
not capable of seeing the real plan behind steam

valve system with steam does not let you buy individual titles
even now you cannot buy individual titles
why? cause in the future what steam will do it renting so you
will have to pay fixed monthly fees to pay whatever game they
release
so yes all future steam games will be free but you have to pay
them a highly expensive monthly fee
that's why valve is applying this system so they can educate
ignorant gamers like you to accept this rental system
they are making you get used to the fact you don't buy any
game individually but instead valve makes them available to
you
yes mister with steam no more BUYING of pc games you instead
RENT them
why rental? cause its much more profitable for them and you
will have to pay much more to play pc games

and btw you are not a genius cause you don't had any problems
using steam but instead you are a ignorant cause you simply
don't know and don't control what steam is doing to your own
computer
steam could be formatting your hard disk right now and you
would not know about it!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

x-no-archive: yes

Andrew wrote:

<snip>

you are so HIPOCRITE!
when someone complains he doesn't have broadband to download
4 gb of data you immediately reply, get the cd retail version
but now that valve is discriminating those that buy in retail
vs those that buy via steam you find this perfectly normal
for you its perfectly fair discriminating customers that have
bought the same product but don't have the same rights than
others
this again proves my theory, valve only wants from retail to
take advantage of it, to use it to spread steam but they want
to kill it cause its clear they want to make steam the only
place you can get their own games, and this is not to cut on
the middle man, its simply to have monopoly and be able to
maintain prices as high as possible
it was almost a year ago hl2 was released but the price of it
in steam is exactly the same
what proper retail game has the exact same price a year after
its release? no one! any pc game after a year of release drops
in price but with steam games they don't drop
oh but i bet you don't find this bad and like anything dealing
with valve and steam its perfectly normal and fair

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Andrew

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:44:07 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Anyone heard anything about those of us who didn't buy through Steam of being
>able to get this or indeed any of the other products available through Steam
>only at the moment?

As it says in Steam>Browse Games, "Upon its release, Half-Life 2: Lost
Coast will be available free of charge to all owners of Half-Life 2."

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> nope, i get DoD:S free when available

eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam says I
have to pay for DoD.

rms

Quoth The Raven: rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> in
QvbOe.294$rS4.39@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net
>> nope, i get DoD:S free when available
>
> eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam says
> I have to pay for DoD.
>
> rms

steasm activated HL2 get LC and dods for free via steam, should be
regardless of your purchase method

--
Hi. I'll be your tagline for this evening.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Quoth The Raven: rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> in
QvbOe.294$rS4.39@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net
>> nope, i get DoD:S free when available
>
> eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam says
> I have to pay for DoD.
>
> rms

steam activated HL2 get LC and dods for free via steam, should be
regardless of your purchase method

--
Hi. I'll be your tagline for this evening.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Manual No Steam Instaltion of HL2 user maps /Mods ...get the file from some
HalfLife2 fan site...decompress it....
Place the maps (.bsp) into your C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youremail\half-life 2\hl2\maps

Place the sound caches (.cache) in C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youremail\half-life 2\hl2\maps\soundcache

Place the ain files (.ain) into C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youremail\half-life 2\hl2\maps\graphs

If needed place the VCD (.vcd) into the C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youremail\half-life 2\hl2\scenes

To play the game: Type into the console "map yourmapname", this starts the
game/level and there should be no need to load any other maps in the mod
individually.

The pathname given above ..."C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youremail..." is just for typical example and
your HL2 folder name-paths may well be slightly different

Luv mouse
@@@@@

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:12:15 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:44:07 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone heard anything about those of us who didn't buy through Steam of being
>>able to get this or indeed any of the other products available through Steam
>>only at the moment?
>
>As it says in Steam>Browse Games, "Upon its release, Half-Life 2: Lost
>Coast will be available free of charge to all owners of Half-Life 2."

On mine if I click on the Purchase options for Lost Coast it comes up with the
familiar Bronze, Silver and Gold choices but because my Steam account has the
DVD retail pack registered on it it is not an option. It seems that I would
have to set up a new Steam account, purchase any of the three options just to
get Lost Coast. I really don't think it's worth it. The same goes for
DoD:Source.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:20:16 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:

>> nope, i get DoD:S free when available
>
> eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam says I
>have to pay for DoD.

Same here or at least when you click on each for purhasing options it takes
you to the Silver and Gold screen but each has a near little box stating that
you have already purchased HL2. Quick log in and check and the following all
have purchase options on them under Browse Games:

Half Life: Source
Half Life 2: Lost Coast
Day of Defeat: Source
Counter Strike: Condition Zero
Counter Strike Deleted Scenes

If I had bought the game through Steam then at least the ones that are
actually released would be available to me. Unfortunately, since I bought
retail that option is not available to me.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:31:07 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven: rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> in
>QvbOe.294$rS4.39@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net
>>> nope, i get DoD:S free when available
>>
>> eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam says
>> I have to pay for DoD.
>>
>> rms
>
>steasm activated HL2 get LC and dods for free via steam, should be
>regardless of your purchase method

Then I would invite you over and show you that it cannot be done, at least
that I can see, if you have installed and activated from the DVD.

shawk

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:12:15 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:44:07 GMT, Memnoch
>><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone heard anything about those of us who didn't buy through Steam of
>>>being
>>>able to get this or indeed any of the other products available through
>>>Steam
>>>only at the moment?
>>
>>As it says in Steam>Browse Games, "Upon its release, Half-Life 2: Lost
>>Coast will be available free of charge to all owners of Half-Life 2."
>
> On mine if I click on the Purchase options for Lost Coast it comes up with
> the
> familiar Bronze, Silver and Gold choices but because my Steam account has
> the
> DVD retail pack registered on it it is not an option. It seems that I
> would
> have to set up a new Steam account, purchase any of the three options just
> get Lost Coast. I really don't think it's worth it. The same goes for
> DoD:Source.

I get the same message (I have the retail DVD). AFAIK the DVD is the same
as the Bronze pack so I'm waiting to see what they do when it is released.
I would not expect to pay for it. DOD Source was never available with
Bronze or retail, only Silver and Gold. I expect them to make that
available as a paid-for d-load

Shawk wrote:

>> On mine if I click on the Purchase options for Lost Coast it comes
>> up with the
>> familiar Bronze, Silver and Gold choices but because my Steam
>> account has the
>> DVD retail pack registered on it it is not an option. It seems that I
>> would
>> have to set up a new Steam account, purchase any of the three
>> options just to
>> get Lost Coast. I really don't think it's worth it. The same goes for
>> DoD:Source.
>
> I get the same message (I have the retail DVD). AFAIK the DVD is the
> same as the Bronze pack so I'm waiting to see what they do when it is
> released. I would not expect to pay for it. DOD Source was never
> available with Bronze or retail, only Silver and Gold. I expect them
> to make that available as a paid-for d-load

Really? I purchased the retail version as well (Collector's DVD) and Steam
tells me I have already purchased the Gold and Silver and Bronze plan
through steam. I think the DVD was only available through the collector's
edition.

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:31:07 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Quoth The Raven: rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> in
>>QvbOe.294$rS4.39@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net
>>>
>>> eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam says
>>> I have to pay for DoD.
>>>
>>> rms
>>
>>steasm activated HL2 get LC and dods for free via steam, should be
>>regardless of your purchase method
>
> Then I would invite you over and show you that it cannot be done, at least
> that I can see, if you have installed and activated from the DVD.

Yup, that's what it currently states. 'Click here for purchase options'.
We'll see what it says for LC when it is released.

jk

I bought HL2 retail and registered it on Steam. I just checked my steam
account and there it is, available to me for download, free of charge, when
it's ready.

JK

"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I bought HL2 retail and registered it on Steam. I just checked my steam
>account and there it is, available to me for download, free of charge, when
>it's ready.
>
> JK

In the description it *does* say

"Originally planned as a section of the Highway 17 chapter of Half-Life 2,
Lost Coast is a playable technology showcase that introduces High Dynamic
Range lighting to the Source engine. Upon its release, Half-Life 2: Lost
Coast will be available free of charge to all owners of Half-Life 2".

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in

> Shawk wrote:
>
>>> On mine if I click on the Purchase options for Lost Coast it comes
>>> up with the
>>> familiar Bronze, Silver and Gold choices but because my Steam
>>> account has the
>>> DVD retail pack registered on it it is not an option. It seems that
>>> I would
>>> have to set up a new Steam account, purchase any of the three
>>> options just to
>>> get Lost Coast. I really don't think it's worth it. The same goes
>>> for DoD:Source.
>>
>> I get the same message (I have the retail DVD). AFAIK the DVD is the
>> same as the Bronze pack so I'm waiting to see what they do when it is
>> released. I would not expect to pay for it. DOD Source was never
>> available with Bronze or retail, only Silver and Gold. I expect them
>> to make that available as a paid-for d-load
>
> Really? I purchased the retail version as well (Collector's DVD) and
> Steam tells me I have already purchased the Gold and Silver and Bronze
> plan through steam. I think the DVD was only available through the
> collector's edition.

no i got the dvd and it wasnt the collectoes edition, i get the meassage
that i have already purchased hl2 next to the packages but it doesnt say
that i have those versions specifically

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:19:19 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>Shawk wrote:
>
>>> On mine if I click on the Purchase options for Lost Coast it comes
>>> up with the
>>> familiar Bronze, Silver and Gold choices but because my Steam
>>> account has the
>>> DVD retail pack registered on it it is not an option. It seems that I
>>> would
>>> have to set up a new Steam account, purchase any of the three
>>> options just to
>>> get Lost Coast. I really don't think it's worth it. The same goes for
>>> DoD:Source.
>>
>> I get the same message (I have the retail DVD). AFAIK the DVD is the
>> same as the Bronze pack so I'm waiting to see what they do when it is
>> released. I would not expect to pay for it. DOD Source was never
>> available with Bronze or retail, only Silver and Gold. I expect them
>> to make that available as a paid-for d-load
>
>Really? I purchased the retail version as well (Collector's DVD) and Steam
>tells me I have already purchased the Gold and Silver and Bronze plan
>through steam. I think the DVD was only available through the collector's
>edition.

Same here Hank, i have HL2 DVD CE and it says on my steam account that
i've purchased Gold/Silver and Bronze..

toadie

Quoth The Raven: Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
in pkfkg1hnit465cqhosd0vnftqmfg4c50gd@4ax.com
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:31:07 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Quoth The Raven: rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> in
>> QvbOe.294$rS4.39@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net
>>>
>>> eh? I paid $85 for the retail Collector's Edition, and Steam
>>> says I have to pay for DoD.
>>>
>>> rms
>>
>> steasm activated HL2 get LC and dods for free via steam, should be
>> regardless of your purchase method
>
> Then I would invite you over and show you that it cannot be done, at
> least that I can see, if you have installed and activated from the
> DVD.

just as an experiment, uninstall steam/hl2. install steam from the
website, add just the cache files from the disk to the steamapps folder
and restart steam, activate it with the DVD no where near your computer,
see if it doesn't become a steam game entirely without you having to use
the DVD. maybe then you will have all access like I do.

I activated my account with an ATI voucher, paid USD$10 to get silver.

--
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:18:24 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven: Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
>in pkfkg1hnit465cqhosd0vnftqmfg4c50gd@4ax.com
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:31:07 +1000, "Highlandish"
>> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Quoth The Raven: rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> in
>>> QvbOe.294$rS4.39@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net

>>> steasm activated HL2 get LC and dods for free via steam, should be
>>> regardless of your purchase method
>>
>> Then I would invite you over and show you that it cannot be done, at
>> least that I can see, if you have installed and activated from the
>> DVD.
>
>just as an experiment, uninstall steam/hl2. install steam from the
>website, add just the cache files from the disk to the steamapps folder
>and restart steam, activate it with the DVD no where near your computer,
>see if it doesn't become a steam game entirely without you having to use
>the DVD. maybe then you will have all access like I do.
>
>I activated my account with an ATI voucher, paid USD$10 to get silver.

That seems like a good idea. I should be able to try this on another computer
shouldn't I, rather than mess with my existing setup?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:11:50 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:18:24 +1000, "Highlandish"
><ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Quoth The Raven: Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
>>in pkfkg1hnit465cqhosd0vnftqmfg4c50gd@4ax.com

>>> Then I would invite you over and show you that it cannot be done, at
>>> least that I can see, if you have installed and activated from the
>>> DVD.
>>
>>just as an experiment, uninstall steam/hl2. install steam from the
>>website, add just the cache files from the disk to the steamapps folder
>>and restart steam, activate it with the DVD no where near your computer,
>>see if it doesn't become a steam game entirely without you having to use
>>the DVD. maybe then you will have all access like I do.
>>
>>I activated my account with an ATI voucher, paid USD$10 to get silver.
>
>That seems like a good idea. I should be able to try this on another computer
>shouldn't I, rather than mess with my existing setup?

A good idea which does not work unfortunately. Fired up a laptop and installed
Steam on it. Went straight in to the Browse Games section and all the ones I
mentioned on my main system are the same. If you click on the Lost Coast:
Coming soon entry in the main menu of installed games it takes you straight to
the purchasing options screen, which states that I can only have one offer per
Steam account. Even Half Life: Source is unavailable to me, although I have
the original Half Life. Bollocks! I hope they look in to this as there must be
a lot of people who jumped on the bandwagon of the DVD thinking they wouldn't
have to download all that data. Oh well, you live and learn I guess.

Quoth The Raven: Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
in v0tmg151cvvrij63jesrogm8najhhlmn4i@4ax.com
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:18:24 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Quoth The Raven: Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
>> in pkfkg1hnit465cqhosd0vnftqmfg4c50gd@4ax.com

>>> Then I would invite you over and show you that it cannot be done, at
>>> least that I can see, if you have installed and activated from the
>>> DVD.
>>
>> just as an experiment, uninstall steam/hl2. install steam from the
>> website, add just the cache files from the disk to the steamapps
>> folder and restart steam, activate it with the DVD no where near
>> your computer, see if it doesn't become a steam game entirely
>> without you having to use the DVD. maybe then you will have all
>> access like I do.
>>
>> I activated my account with an ATI voucher, paid USD$10 to get
>> silver.
>
> That seems like a good idea. I should be able to try this on another
> computer shouldn't I, rather than mess with my existing setup?

yup, as you can use your account simultaneously on many computers

--
I poured Spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

in bi5ng1582ihs61dina39tglck51j54s6ce@4ax.com
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:11:50 GMT, Memnoch
> <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:18:24 +1000, "Highlandish"
>> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Quoth The Raven: Memnoch
>>> <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> in
>>> pkfkg1hnit465cqhosd0vnftqmfg4c50gd@4ax.com

>>> just as an experiment, uninstall steam/hl2. install steam from the
>>> website, add just the cache files from the disk to the steamapps
>>> folder and restart steam, activate it with the DVD no where near
>>> your computer, see if it doesn't become a steam game entirely
>>> without you having to use the DVD. maybe then you will have all
>>> access like I do.
>>>
>>> I activated my account with an ATI voucher, paid USD$10 to get
>>> silver.
>>
>> That seems like a good idea. I should be able to try this on another
>> computer shouldn't I, rather than mess with my existing setup?
>
> A good idea which does not work unfortunately. Fired up a laptop and
> installed Steam on it. Went straight in to the Browse Games section
> and all the ones I mentioned on my main system are the same. If you
> click on the Lost Coast: Coming soon entry in the main menu of
> installed games it takes you straight to the purchasing options
> screen, which states that I can only have one offer per Steam
> account. Even Half Life: Source is unavailable to me, although I have
> the original Half Life. Bollocks! I hope they look in to this as
> there must be a lot of people who jumped on the bandwagon of the DVD
> thinking they wouldn't have to download all that data. Oh well, you
> live and learn I guess.

theres no way of upgrading your bronze to a silver? i did using an ATI
voucher

--
Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity. - Sigmund Freud

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:08:00 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven: Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
>in bi5ng1582ihs61dina39tglck51j54s6ce@4ax.com
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:11:50 GMT, Memnoch
>> <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> A good idea which does not work unfortunately. Fired up a laptop and
>> installed Steam on it. Went straight in to the Browse Games section
>> and all the ones I mentioned on my main system are the same. If you
>> click on the Lost Coast: Coming soon entry in the main menu of
>> installed games it takes you straight to the purchasing options
>> screen, which states that I can only have one offer per Steam
>> account. Even Half Life: Source is unavailable to me, although I have
>> the original Half Life. Bollocks! I hope they look in to this as
>> there must be a lot of people who jumped on the bandwagon of the DVD
>> thinking they wouldn't have to download all that data. Oh well, you
>> live and learn I guess.
>
>theres no way of upgrading your bronze to a silver? i did using an ATI
>voucher

Not that I know of and a search of the forums at Steampowered seem to confirm
this. Although the DVD retail version appears to have the same features and
limitations of a Bronze copy bought through Steam it is neither of these.
Shame but I don't think I will buy Silver just for this. If it doesn't happen
I may end up downloading a warez copy of Lost Coast just to try it out, if
that even happens of course.

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:08:00 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>theres no way of upgrading your bronze to a silver? i did using an ATI
>>voucher
>
> Not that I know of and a search of the forums at Steampowered seem to
> confirm
> this. Although the DVD retail version appears to have the same features
> and
> limitations of a Bronze copy bought through Steam it is neither of these.
> Shame but I don't think I will buy Silver just for this. If it doesn't
> happen
> I may end up downloading a warez copy of Lost Coast just to try it out, if
> that even happens of course

I'm in the same position as Memnoch except that I am still fully expecting
to be able to legitimately d-load LC through Steam when it is released. It
is simply a chapter demonstrating the HDR lighting. DOD however I expect to
pay for..