Laptop function key symbols not working

Keshav Dev

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I installed windows 7 onto my laptop and before i install when i would press a function key a symbol would appear on the screen. But now when i press the function key no symbol would appear on my laptop screen. I was wondering if anyone could help me because its annoying and i cant see how much my volume is up or down or either my brightness.

Someone please help me, and explain what i have to do.

Thank you so much!!!

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
It sounds like you haven't installed the software that makes the symbol appear. Check the maufacturers support site and you should find a driver/software for it there. Regardless of the symbol you see on screen the function key should work.

What is the model of your laptop?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Sorry I checked the laptop model at Lenovo Support but there is no software available for the keyboard. If installing the system by the official Lenovo DVD didn't fix the problem, I really can't say.

Did you say the function keys don't work at all or is it just the on screen indication?

One thing you can try is (kind of a long shot) try updating the display driver. I don't think it is the problem but it wont hurt...