What to do about partitions when installing Win7 from XP

a33582

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I have windows XP and I'm now installing windows 7 from the dvd.
In the setup program, it asks where to install window.
It auto-selects "Disk 0 Partition 2" which looks like the one i would pick too as its the largest.
In total i have these partitions, which is how the computer arrived when i bought it:

Disk 0 Partition 1 (47MB) "OEM (Reserved)"
Disk 0 Partition 2 (113GB) "System"
Disk 0 Partition 3 : Backup (58GB) "Logical"
Disk 0 Partition 4 (4.6GB) "Primary"

I want to do a full clean install, including reformatting and erasing the old winxp installation. From 'advanced', i can select the Disk 0 Partition 2 and format it, but my question is:
should I attempt to delete these other partitions? Would Windows7 attempt to create its own partitions as part of the install?
Are these 4 partitions the standard ones?
Should I just format Parition 2 and install to there and leave the others as they are?

Thanks

mubin

Distinguished
Just format partition 2 to delete win xp and install win 7 on it. Leave other partition as they are.

But my suggestion is to create two partitions from partition 2. One is for win 7 and another is for storage. Maybe you need to format win 7 again. That’s why separate win 7 partition from others. And leave other as they are.

Win 7 dont attempt to create its own partition unless you want and 4 partition is standard if you think so. It depends on user as they want.

0shadow

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

are you suggesting to create one partition for 175 GB?

Do you have any intention of going back to XP? is your system made by a PC maker IE dell HP? If so do not delete the other partitions unless you have, or have created restoration disks for your computer. Have you verified all of your hardware has available win 7 drivers? If you have restoration disks then delete all 4 partitions and create 1 partition. in the process of creating 1 partition windows 7 will actually make 2. One of them will be system reserved do not try to do it again that is just the way it works. Then Install windows 7.