PLex 40X vs. LiteOn 48X

G

I am currently in the market for a new burner. I am considering a LiteON 48X, but I am skeptical. The price is half the price of a Plextor 40X. There has to be a reason there is the huge difference in price. What are the drawbacks with the LiteOn? If you had to choose which one would you buy? Don't let me narrow it down to these two brands, other choices are welcome as well.

Thanks,

Larry

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i would get the plextor 24x vs the others, the number 40 is a white lie. half of the burn process its only burning at 24, another quarter its at 32, then only the last quarter it burns at 40. there is only about a 30 second difference when burning a whole cd. lite on is very decent too, but i tend to stick to the bigger names. plextor doesnt just have the name going for them, in many tests they come out on top. audio extraction is the same speed as data reading. i can rip a full cd in just a few min. each drive, plextor and lite on have their pros and cons. but i think of the plextor as the better of the two.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Not really, the 48X Lite-On will burn at an average of 36X on a 650MB CD and ~39X on a 700MB CD. The new Lite-On uses P-CAV rather than Z-CLV so it's constantly increasing rather than jumping from one speed to another. The minimum write is 22X.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

FriedSpam

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
well, plex vs lite-on, the way I see it is what do you backup more? Audio CDs or Software?

Plexes are best at audio and should be able to copy the upcoming audio protections.

Liteys are better at software protections (though I heard Asus is now probably the best. They never post updated firmware, though, so I probably wouldn't get one.....) though may not be able to handle some audio protections.

Lite-ons can overburn to a larger area than plexes.
Plexes don't tend to support cheap media, but this is because it's usually low/bad quality anyway....
Plexes match the burning spped to the media you are using.
Plextor provides the best after sales support and are known for their quality...

basically, it boils down to copying games/software? - use a litey.
Not worried about getting the best quality copied Audio CDs? -get a litey.
Strapped for cash? -get a litey.
Want to get the best possible audio copy? -plex
Want to be able to copy all protected audio? -get a plex.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
go with the lite-on and buy a new car with the money you saved.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>