BF2 + Catalyst 5.8 + Radeon 9800: bad combo?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Catalyst
  • Radeon
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 23, 2005 6:46:24 PM

Had some problems to run the BF2 Demo with a Radeon 9800se 128MB AGP and
Catalyst 5.6. The system would lock up after a few seconds every now and then.
Yesterday I have installed Catalyst 5.8: no more lockups (so far) but evident
video corruption. Colored (yellow, blue, red, purple) spots on the grass and bad
3D geometries in building and structures.

What's strange is that also BF1942 now gives similar problems, in particular
it shows strange "clouds" in the sky.

Any hint?
--
Roberto Divia` Love at first sight is one of the greatest
Dep:p H Bat:53 Mailbox:C02110 labour-saving devices the world has ever seen

More about : bf2 catalyst radeon 9800 bad combo

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:46:25 PM

On a semi-related note, I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, and have had my
system blue screen during an older 2D game that uses direct draw
components. I have been playing this game for years, and it has never
crashed my system. The only thing to recently change are my video
drivers.

I think the Catalyst 5.8 drivers may be a bit buggy.

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI
August 25, 2005 12:57:56 AM

"Joe Granto" <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
news:o clmg1h5dag4cvcsb5jnn0jqsau3h3hc8n@4ax.com...
> On a semi-related note, I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, and have had my
> system blue screen during an older 2D game that uses direct draw
> components. I have been playing this game for years, and it has never
> crashed my system. The only thing to recently change are my video
> drivers.

> I think the Catalyst 5.8 drivers may be a bit buggy.

Agreed. I installed 5.8 on Sunday (upgrade from 5.6). Since then, I've
experienced 3 BSOD's. Not playing any game (although I've only played for
maybe an hour since installing so who knows). The BSODs have all been with
video files. Prior to installing 5.8, I can't even *remember* the last time
I saw BSOD. Coincidence? I don't think so. My guess is that since it
seems related to video, it has something to do with Overlay. I'll probably
have an ATI X800 XT PE, btw.
!