Lite-on LTR40125S - problem

Hellpig

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
My old CD-RW (old Sony 4x) broke so I bought a new one; Lite-on LTR-40125S 40/12/48. I run Windows 2000 pro' (with SP 1, 2 & 3). Installed the burner and it works just fine - as a normal CD-ROM (ie reading CDs) but it won't work as a burner! I have tried CDrWin and Nero burning Rome but they wont aknowledge the device as a burner, just reader. CDrWin says "no cd-rom recording device was found on the SCSI or IDE bus!"
The drivers used are the one that W2K uses - in other word MS generic drivers for CD-ROM, with a date of 1999 (which to me sounds kinda old!!).

Anyone who could give me a hint of what is happening here? I have connected the new device just as the old CD-RW was connected. Perhaps I should add that I'va also tried a LG-burner with the same results: works as a reader but not as a burner. I hope someone has had or heard of similar problems and thus can help me out here. Someone suggested I should change OS; W2K -> wXP but that would be really messy when I don't have a working CD-RW to make backups! :p Please gimme some help people!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
have you tried removing the ide disk drivers in device manager rebooting and letting windows redetect \ reinstall them ?

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html" target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>

Hellpig

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
No, I got it working but it (or should I say Nero) will only let chose 24x when burning eventhough the LTR40125S should be able to burn at 40x... :?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
perhaps you are using 24x media ?? and the lite-on has detected it and is limiting the burn speed to its max potential

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html" target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
It is more than likely that you are now being limited by your Media. To see if Nero has recognised the correct speed you need to turn SMARTBURN off this will allow you to manually choose all available speeds. be warned however that if you choose a speed too fast for the CD Media the burn will fail and you will waste the disc !

Tim

ps: to diasble SMARTBURN go to "Recorder - Choose Rcorder - Options - Smartburn
It will give you a warning which is what I have already described.

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

Hellpig

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Thanks your answers, really appriciated! I have been using some certified 16x CDRs but they will only work if I burn them at 12x but Nero still lets me chose up to 24x! Very well, I guess the technique doesn't allways work rite? :)

TRENDING THREADS