spectrum analyzer- tuning room

Hello All

I've finally thrown out enough junk in the den to set up my home project
studio. I've been collecting gear for a while and finally got a set of Event
Precision 8's. I love em'. I use an aardvark Q10 for audio I/O into my PC,
but I'm probably looking to upgrade soon (Tascam DM-24 w/firewire maybe).

Anyway, to my real question: tuning the room.

I'm thinking of getting a spectrum analyzer to help find the rough
frequencies in the room and to help my mixes perhaps by giving me a visual.
I need suggestions here... what are the options? Hardware versus software.
And is a 31 band eq the only way to go to tune a room?

Is there an RNC kind of answer to the following:
spectrum analyzer
31-band eq

You insight is, as always, much appreciated.

-hevusa
www.ROBOTmichaelDEATHspringer.com <---find me here
8 answers Last reply
More about spectrum analyzer tuning room

    Hev wrote:

    > I've finally thrown out enough junk in the den to set up my home project
    > studio. I've been collecting gear for a while and finally got a set of Event
    > Precision 8's. I love em'. I use an aardvark Q10 for audio I/O into my PC,
    > but I'm probably looking to upgrade soon (Tascam DM-24 w/firewire maybe).

    > Anyway, to my real question: tuning the room.

    > I'm thinking of getting a spectrum analyzer to help find the rough
    > frequencies in the room and to help my mixes perhaps by giving me a visual.
    > I need suggestions here... what are the options? Hardware versus software.
    > And is a 31 band eq the only way to go to tune a room?

    > Is there an RNC kind of answer to the following:
    > spectrum analyzer
    > 31-band eq

    > You insight is, as always, much appreciated.

    Putting myself potentially at risk of being excommunicated from The
    Church of the Devine Backbeat, I humbly suggest you look over the
    Behringer DEQ2496, which can be had for less than $350, includes a
    "graphic" EQ, a parametric EQ, a dynamic EQ, feedback suppression both
    settable and forgettable (auto <g>) and a functional 31-band RTA, and
    some other stuff, too, (I think, but therefore could be wrong).

    I recently installed three of these and was quite pleased. I am about to
    spec one for a new church system in the nearest town, and will be
    getting one to experiment with for my own uses shortly.

    It's quite a lot of bangaroo for what's left of the dollar.

    --
    ha

    In article <PZj4d.9873$464.3895@trnddc01>, Hev <none@youwouldknow.com> wrote:

    >I'm still unsure of what the most cost effective solution is to treating the
    >room with sound absorption products.

    That depends what kind of absorption you need and what frequencies are a
    problem. And that's why you need to get the F. Alton Everest book.
    --scott

    > Hev wrote:
    >
    > > I've finally thrown out enough junk in the den to set up my home project
    > > studio. I've been collecting gear for a while and finally got a set of
    Event
    > > Precision 8's. I love em'. I use an aardvark Q10 for audio I/O into my
    PC,
    > > but I'm probably looking to upgrade soon (Tascam DM-24 w/firewire
    maybe).

    > > Anyway, to my real question: tuning the room.
    >
    > > I'm thinking of getting a spectrum analyzer to help find the rough
    > > frequencies in the room and to help my mixes perhaps by giving me a
    visual.
    > > I need suggestions here... what are the options? Hardware versus
    software.
    > > And is a 31 band eq the only way to go to tune a room?
    >
    > > Is there an RNC kind of answer to the following:
    > > spectrum analyzer
    > > 31-band eq
    >
    > > You insight is, as always, much appreciated.
    >
    > Putting myself potentially at risk of being excommunicated from The
    > Church of the Devine Backbeat, I humbly suggest you look over the
    > Behringer DEQ2496, which can be had for less than $350, includes a
    > "graphic" EQ, a parametric EQ, a dynamic EQ, feedback suppression both
    > settable and forgettable (auto <g>) and a functional 31-band RTA, and
    > some other stuff, too, (I think, but therefore could be wrong).
    >
    > I recently installed three of these and was quite pleased. I am about to
    > spec one for a new church system in the nearest town, and will be
    > getting one to experiment with for my own uses shortly.
    >
    > It's quite a lot of bangaroo for what's left of the dollar.

    That Behringer model does indeed seem like a lot of bang for the buck. I
    might not use it for this application but I could see myself using it for
    other things in the future. Thanks Hank.

    -Hev
    Find Me Here:
    www.michaelROBOTSspringerBEGONE.com

    Hev wrote:

    > That Behringer model does indeed seem like a lot of bang for the buck. I
    > might not use it for this application but I could see myself using it for
    > other things in the future. Thanks Hank.

    I had the prececessor to this unit and it added an
    incredible amount of LF noise even set flat. It gathers
    dust. Is the newer one better in that regard?

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:59:27 GMT, "Hev" <none@youwouldknow.com> wrote:

    >"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> I suggest looking at the F. Alton Everest book on small studio acoustics
    >> before doing anything at all.
    >
    >Did an Amazon.com search and got a bunch of titles. Can you narrow it down
    >to a title that would best suit my needs?

    "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget", 1997, is a good start.
    Then his earlier "Master Handbook of Acoustics". Both are very
    readable. Measure twice, cut once.

    Chris Hornbeck

    Bob Cain wrote:

    > Hev wrote:

    > > That Behringer model does indeed seem like a lot of bang for the buck. I
    > > might not use it for this application but I could see myself using it for
    > > other things in the future. Thanks Hank.

    > I had the prececessor to this unit and it added an
    > incredible amount of LF noise even set flat. It gathers
    > dust. Is the newer one better in that regard?

    Absolutely, this one has no flies on it that I've found yet. Now, when I
    get one here I'll beat on it in ways I didn't with the three installed
    in a dance studio in Austin TX. While that wasn't a control room type of
    listening environment I did listen via the Senn HD280's, and in one room
    it's 4 Bag End TA2000's and a D12E sub driven by Crest PL400's. I think
    I'd have noticed unacceptable noise.

    The units were clean, clear, and very versatile. I also plan to give the
    Beri DCX2496 a whirl. Hopefully I'll get enough stuff off of my plate in
    the next couple of weeks to get on with subjecting the Beri's to secret
    investigations here at the mountain.

    --
    ha

    In article <cirslp$o1f$1@panix2.panix.com>, Scott Dorsey
    <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

    > >And is a 31 band eq the only way to go to tune a room?
    >
    > No, equalizing out room problems is misguided and does not tune the room, it
    > just hides some of the problems. Tuning a room involves actually changing
    > the room configuration to fix the problems, not trying to hide the problems
    > with some cheesy electronics.

    Scott certainly is right about first fixing your control room. Get help
    from someone in your area with a clue about this. Personally, I don't
    think there are many people with a clue in this area. I certainly would
    never design my own control room.

    And once you've done everything you realistically can with the room, I
    certainly would also recommend a nice 31 band like a Klark Teknik and
    borrowing/renting a nice analyzer like a Klark Teknik.

    Most important is the person doing the tweeking. I hire the guy who did
    my control room. I'm usually the one standing at the mix position
    moving the mic in a circle while he fiddles about. Really like the eq
    curve he goes for on the analyzer. (Top & bottom with a very specific
    rolled off.)

    My control room needs a tweak around 4 times a year. Remember, your big
    speakers' output is not some universal constant. They change over time
    with use. I have the room redone at the change of seasons.

    Am not talking big changes on the KT eq. But the difference is
    strikingly noticeable when the playback is set up right. Very wide
    imaging. Nice accurate bottom. Mixes that go out into the world with
    very happy clients.

    David Correia
    Celebration Sound
    Warren, Rhode Island

    CelebrationSound@aol.com
    www.CelebrationSound.com

    "david" <ihate@spamo.com> wrote in message
    > And once you've done everything you realistically can with the room, I
    > certainly would also recommend a nice 31 band like a Klark Teknik and
    > borrowing/renting a nice analyzer like a Klark Teknik.

    I wouldn't. You can hear why by patching one across your 2-buss. I wouldn't
    put anything in my monitor path that I'd be at all hesitant to place in my
    program path.

    The only analyzer that's ok is one which can separate the sound from the
    speaker from that coming from the room. This will correct speaker system
    deficiencies only. Coloring the monitors can't reverse room colorations and
    only adds to the confusion.

    The major studios REALLY learned this one the hard way back in the 1970s.

    --
    Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
    615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Pro Audio Audio Tuning