HIGH RES skin pack for HL2 -link

http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8084

Half-Life 2 looks even better with this High Res Skin Pack by FAKEFACTORY. The
pack replaces the textures of Alyx, Eli, Human Females, Kleiner, Mossman and
Odessa with high resolution 2024x2048 and 2048x1024 versions. The pack also
works with mods like Garry's Mod, so check it out.
You can grab the skins pack at FileFront.

Pluvious
12 answers Last reply
More about high skin pack link

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:27:14 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote:

    >|http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8084
    >|
    >|Half-Life 2 looks even better with this High Res Skin Pack by FAKEFACTORY. The
    >|pack replaces the textures of Alyx, Eli, Human Females, Kleiner, Mossman and
    >|Odessa with high resolution 2024x2048 and 2048x1024 versions. The pack also
    >|works with mods like Garry's Mod, so check it out.
    >|You can grab the skins pack at FileFront.
    >|

    >|Pluvious

    I've been re-playing the game and LOVING this texture pack! The quality is
    amazing. Well worth the dl to see.

    As I played it struck me how cool it would be to have the whole game running
    with 2024x2048 textures! I didn't notice any slowdown with the skin pack, but I
    suppose there might be with ALL the textures like that. I would think our
    'ubber' cards nowadays could run textures like that however.. why not I say?

    Pluvious

    Pluvious wrote:
    > http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8084
    >
    > Half-Life 2 looks even better with this High Res Skin Pack by FAKEFACTORY. The
    > pack replaces the textures of Alyx, Eli, Human Females, Kleiner, Mossman and
    > Odessa with high resolution 2024x2048 and 2048x1024 versions. The pack also
    > works with mods like Garry's Mod, so check it out.
    > You can grab the skins pack at FileFront.
    >

    > Pluvious

    Yeah, but that would interfere with my nude Alyx skin...

    Is it a good idea to have a 256 meg video card?

    JK

    "JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > Is it a good idea to have a 256 meg video card?
    >
    > JK

    What kind of system do you need to run this mod? JLC

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:56:16 -0700, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

    >|"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >|> Is it a good idea to have a 256 meg video card?
    >|>
    >|> JK
    >|
    >|What kind of system do you need to run this mod? JLC

    The high texture mod works with all cards and systems. Its just a pack of high
    resolution textures that are much larger then what the game came with.
    My X800 PRO 256M video card has no issues with them at all and I think I could
    run the whole game with textures of this size with little slowdown. I'm still
    seeing spikes of 180+ fps all with max settings. :) Normal play is around 60-70
    fps.
    ------------------------
    P4 3.2E 800FSB / Zalman C7000A HS / Asus P4C800-E Deluxe / 2GB (2-3-3-6) Corsair
    XMS DDR PC3200 / Xtasy X800 PRO @ 499.5/499.5 / Arctic Cooler v4 / CAT 5.7 /
    WD1600JB 160GB / Maxtor SATA 300G 16MB cache / Lite-On DVDRW LDW-851S / SB
    Audigy 2 ZS / ViewSonic G220fb / Logitech MX510 mouse / Saitek Gamer's Keyboard

    Pluvious

    Pluvious wrote:
    > http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8084
    >
    > Half-Life 2 looks even better with this High Res Skin Pack by FAKEFACTORY. The
    > pack replaces the textures of Alyx, Eli, Human Females, Kleiner, Mossman and
    > Odessa with high resolution 2024x2048 and 2048x1024 versions. The pack also
    > works with mods like Garry's Mod, so check it out.
    > You can grab the skins pack at FileFront.

    Those are pretty cool. Interesting to see how they were made. Here is
    what they look like on my machine:

    http://www.geocities.com/bligmerk/alyx-mossman.jpg

    Now, where is G-man and Barney?

    On 26 Aug 2005 12:17:31 -0700, "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >|Pluvious wrote:
    >|> http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=8084
    >|>
    >|> Half-Life 2 looks even better with this High Res Skin Pack by FAKEFACTORY. The
    >|> pack replaces the textures of Alyx, Eli, Human Females, Kleiner, Mossman and
    >|> Odessa with high resolution 2024x2048 and 2048x1024 versions. The pack also
    >|> works with mods like Garry's Mod, so check it out.
    >|> You can grab the skins pack at FileFront.
    >|
    >|Those are pretty cool. Interesting to see how they were made. Here is
    >|what they look like on my machine:
    >|
    >|http://www.geocities.com/bligmerk/alyx-mossman.jpg
    >|
    >|Now, where is G-man and Barney?

    Alex's glossy lips are distracting me while I play though. ;-)
    Her eyes have a watery look to them with this resolution. I love it. Like I
    said, can't help but wish a whole game included the option to use 2024x and
    2048x textures. Whew...

    Pluvious

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:56:16 -0700, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>|"JK" <jkhpub@rogers.com> wrote in message

    >>|What kind of system do you need to run this mod? JLC
    >>|

    > The high texture mod works with all cards and systems. Its just a pack of
    > high
    > resolution textures that are much larger then what the game came with.
    > My X800 PRO 256M video card has no issues with them at all and I think I
    > could
    > run the whole game with textures of this size with little slowdown. I'm
    > still
    > seeing spikes of 180+ fps all with max settings. :) Normal play is around
    > 60-70
    > fps.
    > ------------------------
    > P4 3.2E 800FSB / Zalman C7000A HS / Asus P4C800-E Deluxe / 2GB (2-3-3-6)
    > Corsair
    > XMS DDR PC3200 / Xtasy X800 PRO @ 499.5/499.5 / Arctic Cooler v4 / CAT 5.7
    > /
    > WD1600JB 160GB / Maxtor SATA 300G 16MB cache / Lite-On DVDRW LDW-851S / SB
    > Audigy 2 ZS / ViewSonic G220fb / Logitech MX510 mouse / Saitek Gamer's
    > Keyboard
    >
    > Pluvious

    Plays fine on a 9800Pro here with a Barton XP2800, 1.5GB PC3200 on an
    NF7-S(2). I doubt this would be the case if the whole game had high rez tho
    :-)

    Pluvious wrote:

    > >|Those are pretty cool. Interesting to see how they were made. Here is
    > >|what they look like on my machine:
    > >|
    > >|http://www.geocities.com/bligmerk/alyx-mossman.jpg
    > >|
    > >|Now, where is G-man and Barney?
    >
    > Alex's glossy lips are distracting me while I play though. ;-)
    > Her eyes have a watery look to them with this resolution. I love it. Like I
    > said, can't help but wish a whole game included the option to use 2024x and
    > 2048x textures. Whew...

    This ties in to the subject of graphics cards with more memory. Just
    higher resolution textures could result in games looking twice as good,
    right away, compared to waiting for more computer horsepower to handle
    many more polygons. But high resolution textures require graphics cards
    with more and faster video RAM. While better looking graphics don't
    necessarily mean better gameplay, much better graphics add to the
    immersion factor which does make the gameplay a richer experience. The
    problem is that it becomes a chicken-and-egg situation. Gamers say why
    get a card with more video RAM if no developers are using high rez (=
    lots more bits) textures, and developers say why use higher rez
    textures when no gamers are buying cards with more video RAM. Carmack
    touched on this subject during his QC discussion. He said more game
    developers are looking at using larger high resolution textures rather
    than play tricks with patches of textures. And Doom 3 does have the
    Ultra High Quality mode with more high resolution textures for those
    that have 512MB video cards. In a year, it will be difficult to find a
    video card with less than 512MB of video memory and there are some 1GB
    video cards starting to show up. Multi-core processors will also allow
    for parallel handling of texture mapping, keeping the process up to
    speed. Eventually, the log jam will break and using higher resolution
    textures will become more commonplace. This semi-mod shows how existing
    polygonal models can look much better just by raising the level of
    texturing, so it is kind of a kick start. It usually take some
    independent guys willing to experiment to break out of the box.

    Interesting, that's my system exactly. I still see a little texture
    thrashing with the normal textures and so am reluctant to go for the high
    res textures. If I had Pluvious' video card I might go for it. I guess
    that's what the near future of gaming looks like.

    JK

    On 26 Aug 2005 21:23:38 -0700, "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >|Pluvious wrote:

    >|> >|
    >|> >|
    >|> >|

    >|> Alex's glossy lips are distracting me while I play though. ;-)
    >|> Her eyes have a watery look to them with this resolution. I love it. Like I
    >|> said, can't help but wish a whole game included the option to use 2024x and
    >|> 2048x textures. Whew...
    >|
    >|This ties in to the subject of graphics cards with more memory. Just
    >|higher resolution textures could result in games looking twice as good,
    >|right away, compared to waiting for more computer horsepower to handle
    >|many more polygons. But high resolution textures require graphics cards
    >|with more and faster video RAM. While better looking graphics don't
    >|necessarily mean better gameplay, much better graphics add to the
    >|immersion factor which does make the gameplay a richer experience. The
    >|problem is that it becomes a chicken-and-egg situation. Gamers say why
    >|get a card with more video RAM if no developers are using high rez (=
    >|lots more bits) textures, and developers say why use higher rez
    >|textures when no gamers are buying cards with more video RAM. Carmack
    >|touched on this subject during his QC discussion. He said more game
    >|developers are looking at using larger high resolution textures rather
    >|than play tricks with patches of textures. And Doom 3 does have the
    >|Ultra High Quality mode with more high resolution textures for those
    >|that have 512MB video cards. In a year, it will be difficult to find a
    >|video card with less than 512MB of video memory and there are some 1GB
    >|video cards starting to show up. Multi-core processors will also allow
    >|for parallel handling of texture mapping, keeping the process up to
    >|speed. Eventually, the log jam will break and using higher resolution
    >|textures will become more commonplace. This semi-mod shows how existing
    >|polygonal models can look much better just by raising the level of
    >|texturing, so it is kind of a kick start. It usually take some
    >|independent guys willing to experiment to break out of the box.

    After playing FarCry, Doom3, and HL2 I have a SERIOUS hard time playing any game
    that has low res textures like 16x16 and 32x32. Area51 demo comes to mind.. the
    textures looked so washed out and flat I thought I had set the way back machine
    to 1992 or something. I agree completely about including the "raw" textures on
    the cd's for the people who can run the game with them on. Normals and bump
    mapping can go only so far, but the base texture itself needs to be doubled for
    todays games IMHO. At least give us the option game designers. ;-)

    Yah.. where is Barney and G-man high res?..I finally noticed Barney didn't get
    the treatment in the pack we're talking about. :(

    Pluvious

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:24:16 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote:

    >|Yah.. where is Barney and G-man high res?..I finally noticed Barney didn't get
    >|the treatment in the pack we're talking about. :(
    >|
    >|Pluvious

    Ahhh.. there's a new updated version of the high res pack!!!

    http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Fake_Factory_Skin_Pack;46511

    The pack replaces the Facemap-Textures of the following characters:

    Alyx
    Barney
    Dr. Breen
    Father Grigori
    Eli
    Dr. Kleiner
    Mossman
    Colonel Odessa
    Vortigaunts
    Vortigaunt-Slaves
    All civilians and squad-members

    The main-characters are coming with full 2048 x 2048 pixels facemaps - all
    others civilians/squad-members with 1024 x 1024 pixels. This is because, you'll
    never get close enought to the civilians or squad-members to see the full
    resolution of a massive 2048px texture. Even a 1024px facemap needs at least a
    1600 x 1200 game-resolution to take full effect. Remember: You'll never get the
    full quality of the textures below a 1600 x 1200 game-resolution.

PC gaming Games Resolution IBM Video Games