Cat Stevens denied US entry

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 22, 2004 6:12:14 AM

from Yahoo news

> The Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted
>

> 12 minutes ago
>
> Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!
>
> By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer
>
> WASHINGTON - A plane bound for Washington from London was diverted to Maine
> on Tuesday after passenger Yusuf Islam ‹ formerly known as pop singer Cat
> Stevens ‹ showed up on a U.S. watch list, federal officials said.
>

> AP Photo
>

> United Airlines Flight 919 had already taken off from London en route to
> Dulles International Airport when the match was made between the passenger
> and the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation
> Security Administration.
>
> The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport
> around 3 p.m., Melendez said.
>
> Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the
> individual as Islam.
>
> One official said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger
> Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to
> U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. TSA was then
> contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, the
> official said.
>
> "He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national
> security grounds," said Homeland Security spokesman Dennis Murphy. He said
> the man would be put on the first available flight out of the country
> Wednesday.
>
> Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and
> had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and
> "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a
> re-recording of his '70s hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the
> U.S.-led war in Iraq (news - web sites).
>
> He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after
> being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden
> by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion,
> founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.
>
> Islam recently condemned the school seizure by militants in Beslan, Russia,
> earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them
> children.
>
> In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent
> bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever
> in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be
> upon him."
>
> ___
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:12:15 AM

I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
against author Salman Rushdie.

Al

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:12:14 GMT, George
<g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>from Yahoo news
>
>> The Former Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted
>>

>> 12 minutes ago
>>
>> Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!
>>
>> By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer
>>
>> WASHINGTON - A plane bound for Washington from London was diverted to Maine
>> on Tuesday after passenger Yusuf Islam ‹ formerly known as pop singer Cat
>> Stevens ‹ showed up on a U.S. watch list, federal officials said.
>>

>> AP Photo
>>

>> United Airlines Flight 919 had already taken off from London en route to
>> Dulles International Airport when the match was made between the passenger
>> and the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation
>> Security Administration.
>>
>> The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport
>> around 3 p.m., Melendez said.
>>
>> Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the
>> individual as Islam.
>>
>> One official said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger
>> Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to
>> U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. TSA was then
>> contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, the
>> official said.
>>
>> "He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national
>> security grounds," said Homeland Security spokesman Dennis Murphy. He said
>> the man would be put on the first available flight out of the country
>> Wednesday.
>>
>> Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and
>> had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and
>> "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a
>> re-recording of his '70s hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the
>> U.S.-led war in Iraq (news - web sites).
>>
>> He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after
>> being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden
>> by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion,
>> founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.
>>
>> Islam recently condemned the school seizure by militants in Beslan, Russia,
>> earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them
>> children.
>>
>> In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent
>> bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever
>> in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be
>> upon him."
>>
>> ___
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:58:28 AM

playon wrote:

> I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
> against author Salman Rushdie.

What's your problem with that? Rushdie knew perfectly well
what he was doing if not believed he would actually receive
the proscribed sentence.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 11:14:11 AM

<< playon playon@comcast.net >>
<< feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
against author Salman Rushdie. >>

Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
September 22, 2004 11:31:13 AM

<< Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com. >>

My recollection is very clear of him saying at the time words to the effect of
"Well, if that's what the Ayatollah says, then that's what we should go along
with." At the time he was unambiguous. Sounds like he's changed his tune.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:08:05 PM

"playon" <playon@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
> against author Salman Rushdie.
>
> Al

That's it then for free speech.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:08:06 PM

Abel Willing wrote:

>"playon" <playon@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>>
>> Al
>
>That's it then for free speech.

You clearly have a poor grasp of the concept. For example, if playon's
statements limits Stevens' free speech then doesn't yours also limit
playon's? The right to free speech, as spelled out in the US Constitution,
prohibits Congress from making law but does not prohibit individuals from
stating their opinions of what others say.

Michael
| two, one and one make one."
mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 4:39:47 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:58:28 -0700, Bob Cain
<arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

>> I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>
>What's your problem with that? Rushdie knew perfectly well
>what he was doing if not believed he would actually receive
>the proscribed sentence.

Failure to support the American religion ("Democracy", whatever that
is) is considered a capital offence if you live in certain parts of
the world.

September 22, 2004 5:18:18 PM

"ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
> << Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
> You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.
> >>

> My recollection is very clear of him saying at the time words to the
> effect of
> "Well, if that's what the Ayatollah says, then that's what we should go
> along
> with." At the time he was unambiguous. Sounds like he's changed his tune.

That's my recollection as well though I can't remember if I read it as a
quote or actually saw footage of him saying it.
September 22, 2004 5:43:48 PM

In article <uYe4d.233093$Fg5.200047@attbi_s53>,
"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
> > << Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
> > You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.
> > >>

> > My recollection is very clear of him saying at the time words to the
> > effect of
> > "Well, if that's what the Ayatollah says, then that's what we should go
> > along
> > with." At the time he was unambiguous. Sounds like he's changed his tune.
>
> That's my recollection as well though I can't remember if I read it as a
> quote or actually saw footage of him saying it.

The advantage of a liberal mindset is we allow people to change thier
poistions as they become more informed
I keep hopeing GW will wake up from his coma some day(soon)m and change
his positions on world domination, destroying the enviroment, rapeing
the middle class, spreading his version of christianity and democracy at
the point of a gun
George
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:42:06 PM

Abel Willing wrote:

>"playon" <playon@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>>
>> Al
>
>That's it then for free speech.

Free speech is not without responsibility and/or accountability.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:42:07 PM

Wayne wrote:

> Free speech is not without responsibility and/or accountability.

What did he say?
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:06:27 PM

> Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
>You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.

Back in the 1970's, I worked for the guy. My company provided the PA, and/or
monitors for his tours. He was sometimes difficult to work with and quite a
perfectionist. But in the end, he was usually right. He was also very
generous and giving, going out of his way to help people. He was especially an
advocate for human rights and helping disadvantaged children.

In the ten years or so that I knew him reasonably well, he NEVER said anything
in just one sentence. He would always verbalize every thought from its
inception to its conclusion. To say he rambled would be an understatement.

For instance he'd say something like "When I play this song, the stage lights
are usually blue. Whenever that happens, it makes me feel a little depressed.
I don't know why, but use a bit less energy as I play my six string guitar. I
don't seem to break as many strings then. I'm not sure I like that. It makes
my guitar sound sort of yellow. What do you think?" Translation:" Brighten up
the 6 string guitar whenever the blue stage lights come on." He liked me
because I could usually figure out what he meant.

This trait made him a news bite dream. By simply playing one sentence out of
context, you could make it sound like he said almost anything. Although I
wasn't there at the infamous Rushdie debacle, I'd bet money that the full
statement was very long and rambling, which was his style. What was reported
was only one sentence taken from a lengthy rant. Sorry, but he never said
ANYTHING in one sentence. He couldn't even order lunch in one sentence.

None of us know the facts about this latest incident. It's true, that people
sometimes change, but the person I knew was a pacifist through and through.
Maybe he is different now, but I'm very skeptical.

I'm just as appalled by terrorist acts as the next guy. There is no doubt
whatsoever that we face a great threat from a bunch of people who are way
beyond reason. Nonetheless, I suspect that our government may be going a
little too far in the name of National Security. When the Patriot Act was
signed into law, a lot of your basic civil rights went right down the toilet.
Funny, nobody seemed to notice. Maybe one day we will.

Chuck Conrad
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:15:50 PM

Bill Van Dyk wrote:
> One of the biggest problems with U.S. foreign policy in the last few
> years is that the U.S. has consistently gone after the wrong people.

But the biggest problem is that they NEVER learn.

It is one thing when you can step back and say "oops, your right, we
made a mistake. Now what should we change to avoid such mistakes in the
future?"

This administration NEVER admits they are wrong about anything. NEVER.

As much as I hate them, I would feel a little better about them if they
showed even the slightest amount of humility once and a while, and tried
to actually learn SOMETHING from their failures as well as their (rare)
successes. They claim they are so "steadfast", "unwavering", "staying
the course", etc., etc.

That is all fine, but yes, it IS true, "those who don't learn from their
mistakes are destined to repeat them".
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:15:51 PM

Pete Dimsman wrote:

> Bill Van Dyk wrote:
>
>> One of the biggest problems with U.S. foreign policy in the last few
>> years is that the U.S. has consistently gone after the wrong people.
>

> But the biggest problem is that they NEVER learn.
>
> It is one thing when you can step back and say "oops, your right, we
> made a mistake. Now what should we change to avoid such mistakes in the
> future?"
>
> This administration NEVER admits they are wrong about anything. NEVER.
>
> As much as I hate them, I would feel a little better about them if they
> showed even the slightest amount of humility once and a while, and tried
> to actually learn SOMETHING from their failures as well as their (rare)
> successes. They claim they are so "steadfast", "unwavering", "staying
> the course", etc., etc.
>
> That is all fine, but yes, it IS true, "those who don't learn from their
> mistakes are destined to repeat them".

Because if you do this, they accuse you of wanting to "Blame America First".
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:22:03 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:08:05 +0200, "Abel Willing"
<awilling@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"playon" <playon@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>>
>> Al
>
>That's it then for free speech.

Gee I'd say as punishment, denying him entry because of something he
said is a lot more "free" than a death sentence for writing a book
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:27:50 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 07:14:11 GMT, willstg@aol.comnospam (WillStG) wrote:

><< playon playon@comcast.net >>
><< feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>against author Salman Rushdie. >>
>
> Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
>You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.

I'm willing to cut him some slack if this is true. But you have to be
very careful what sides you take, even when you are young, as these
things will haunt you for the rest of your life. Another example is,
don't think Elvis Costello ever completely lived down his rascist
remarks where he used the "n" word in the early 80s while in a drunken
argument in a bar. Even though he was drunk at the time and was going
for shock value, and I am sure that he is not a racist, it is still
remembered.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:29:17 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:43:48 GMT, George
<g.p.gleason@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>In article <uYe4d.233093$Fg5.200047@attbi_s53>,
> "Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
>> > << Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
>> > You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.
>> > >>

>> > My recollection is very clear of him saying at the time words to the
>> > effect of
>> > "Well, if that's what the Ayatollah says, then that's what we should go
>> > along
>> > with." At the time he was unambiguous. Sounds like he's changed his tune.
>>
>> That's my recollection as well though I can't remember if I read it as a
>> quote or actually saw footage of him saying it.
>>

>The advantage of a liberal mindset is we allow people to change thier
>poistions as they become more informed
>I keep hopeing GW will wake up from his coma some day(soon)m and change
>his positions on world domination, destroying the enviroment, rapeing
>the middle class, spreading his version of christianity and democracy at
>the point of a gun
>George

GWs world view is well formed at his age, in addition he is "born
again" so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to change. He has
no reason to, being highly successful as the dubya we know.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:34:03 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:58:28 -0700, Bob Cain
<arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

>playon wrote:
>
>> I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>
>What's your problem with that? Rushdie knew perfectly well
>what he was doing if not believed he would actually receive
>the proscribed sentence.

From what I remember reading interviews with Rushdie, I don't think
so. He lived a life of total fear for many years. He expected
controversy, yes, but not a death sentence.
September 22, 2004 8:40:11 PM

In article <20040922120627.15985.00003763@mb-m21.aol.com>,
chuxgarage@aol.com (ChuxGarage) wrote:

> > Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
> >You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.
>

> Back in the 1970's, I worked for the guy. My company provided the PA, and/or
> monitors for his tours. He was sometimes difficult to work with and quite a
> perfectionist. But in the end, he was usually right. He was also very
> generous and giving, going out of his way to help people. He was especially an
> advocate for human rights and helping disadvantaged children.
>
> In the ten years or so that I knew him reasonably well, he NEVER said anything
> in just one sentence. He would always verbalize every thought from its
> inception to its conclusion. To say he rambled would be an understatement.

Never worked with Mr. Stevens but I have done work with Arlo
can you imagine those two at thanksgiving dinner
:-)
George
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:21:32 PM

Thank you for this, Chuck. See, you CAN learn something from these off
topic hijackings that only another R.A.P. person would know.

This incidence with Cat Stevens proves that we are not over reacting and
that the fear of losing our freedoms is a justifiable fear.

I would like to see this administration present the facts behind the
deportation of Mr. Stevens and convince us that it is justified. I think
EVERYONE should agree that nothing less is acceptable.

P.D.

ChuxGarage wrote:

>> Cat Stevens says he in fact did not, he strongly disputes that account.
>>You can read his version of what happened in the FAQ at catstevens.com.
>

> Back in the 1970's, I worked for the guy. My company provided the PA, and/or
> monitors for his tours. He was sometimes difficult to work with and quite a
> perfectionist. But in the end, he was usually right. He was also very
> generous and giving, going out of his way to help people. He was especially an
> advocate for human rights and helping disadvantaged children.
>
> In the ten years or so that I knew him reasonably well, he NEVER said anything
> in just one sentence. He would always verbalize every thought from its
> inception to its conclusion. To say he rambled would be an understatement.
>
> For instance he'd say something like "When I play this song, the stage lights
> are usually blue. Whenever that happens, it makes me feel a little depressed.
> I don't know why, but use a bit less energy as I play my six string guitar. I
> don't seem to break as many strings then. I'm not sure I like that. It makes
> my guitar sound sort of yellow. What do you think?" Translation:" Brighten up
> the 6 string guitar whenever the blue stage lights come on." He liked me
> because I could usually figure out what he meant.
>
> This trait made him a news bite dream. By simply playing one sentence out of
> context, you could make it sound like he said almost anything. Although I
> wasn't there at the infamous Rushdie debacle, I'd bet money that the full
> statement was very long and rambling, which was his style. What was reported
> was only one sentence taken from a lengthy rant. Sorry, but he never said
> ANYTHING in one sentence. He couldn't even order lunch in one sentence.
>
> None of us know the facts about this latest incident. It's true, that people
> sometimes change, but the person I knew was a pacifist through and through.
> Maybe he is different now, but I'm very skeptical.
>
> I'm just as appalled by terrorist acts as the next guy. There is no doubt
> whatsoever that we face a great threat from a bunch of people who are way
> beyond reason. Nonetheless, I suspect that our government may be going a
> little too far in the name of National Security. When the Patriot Act was
> signed into law, a lot of your basic civil rights went right down the toilet.
> Funny, nobody seemed to notice. Maybe one day we will.
>
> Chuck Conrad

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:45:23 PM

>>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>>
>> Al
>
>That's it then for free speech.

That's not why he was stopped..it was a name match.
John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:45:24 PM

Blind Joni wrote:

>>That's it then for free speech.
>>

> That's not why he was stopped..it was a name match.

But why was his name on the list?
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:45:24 PM

On 22 Sep 2004 17:45:23 GMT, blindjoni@aol.com (Blind Joni) wrote:

>>>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>>>
>>> Al
>>
>>That's it then for free speech.
>>

>That's not why he was stopped..it was a name match.

Yeah, it was his name -- doesn't mean that it was the wrong guy.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:46:58 PM

>The advantage of a liberal mindset is we allow people to change thier
>poistions as they become more informed

Who are any of us to "allow" anyone else to do anything? Like they need
permission.
And it seems this only comes up when someone agrees with the result.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:48:19 PM

>Never worked with Mr. Stevens but I have done work with Arlo
>can you imagine those two at thanksgiving dinner
>:-)

Do either celebrate thanksgiving?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:04:03 PM

so what wrote:

> > That is all fine, but yes, it IS true, "those who don't learn from their
> > mistakes are destined to repeat them".
> >

> Because if you do this, they accuse you of wanting to "Blame America First".

What's funny about this, is that many people already had a bias against
Stevens, so as idiotic as this denial of entry was, Bush wins.

That Rove really is a genius.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:04:04 PM

Don Cooper wrote:

> What's funny about this, is that many people already had a bias against
> Stevens, so as idiotic as this denial of entry was, Bush wins.
>
> That Rove really is a genius.

I don't think Rove had anything to do with this one.

I have no bias against Stevens. I don't know the whole story about him,
but my assumption would be that he is NOT a terrorist. So I don't think
Bush wins. I do think it may thrust Stevens into the news. It will be
interesting what he has to say. Could be bad for Bush.

If John Lennon were alive, would be labeled a terrorist and deported?
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:04:05 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:12:51 -0500, Pete Dimsman <pd@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Don Cooper wrote:
>
>> What's funny about this, is that many people already had a bias against
>> Stevens, so as idiotic as this denial of entry was, Bush wins.
>>
>> That Rove really is a genius.
>
>I don't think Rove had anything to do with this one.
>
>I have no bias against Stevens. I don't know the whole story about him,
>but my assumption would be that he is NOT a terrorist. So I don't think
>Bush wins. I do think it may thrust Stevens into the news. It will be
>interesting what he has to say. Could be bad for Bush.
>
>If John Lennon were alive, would be labeled a terrorist and deported?

Nixon tried to deport him, didn't he?
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:31:55 PM

"Blind Joni" <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Never worked with Mr. Stevens but I have done work with Arlo
> >can you imagine those two at thanksgiving dinner
> >:-)
>
> Do either celebrate thanksgiving?

Well, Arlo certainly does; he was a co-celebrant of what was probably the
most famous thanksgiving dinner since the pilgrims.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:31:56 PM

Paul Stamler wrote:

> Well, Arlo certainly does; he was a co-celebrant of what was probably the
> most famous thanksgiving dinner since the pilgrims.

Just heard parts of that this morning.

(Along with some Cat Stevens.)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 11:47:14 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:31:55 +0100, Paul Stamler wrote
(in article <vyj4d.413778$OB3.147787@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>):

> "Blind Joni" <blindjoni@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Never worked with Mr. Stevens but I have done work with Arlo
>>> can you imagine those two at thanksgiving dinner
>>
>> Do either celebrate thanksgiving?
>
> Well, Arlo certainly does; he was a co-celebrant of what was probably the
> most famous thanksgiving dinner since the pilgrims.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Incidentally, there is sort of another on-topic element to this story -
apparently, Marillion were on the plane too!

John

yorkio65 at yahoo.co.uk
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:10:14 AM

>>>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
>>> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
>>> against author Salman Rushdie.
>>>
>>> Al
>>
>>That's it then for free speech.
>>

> That's not why he was stopped..it was a name match.

He was stopped because is suspected of donating to Hamas. He was deported
from Israel in 2000 for the same thing.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:10:15 AM

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

> He was stopped because is suspected of donating to Hamas. He was deported
> from Israel in 2000 for the same thing.

Good enough for me if it has any credible basis but I'm sure
I'll never know the truth of that.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:17:46 AM

>Never worked with Mr. Stevens bvt I have done work with Arlo
>can yov imagine those two at thanksgiving dinner
>:-)

When I wasn't doing Cat Stevens, I did a few tovrs with Arlo. I even promoted
a show of his in Dallas. He was a lot of fvn to be arovnd.

Arlo made Willie Nelson seem like he didn't have any friends. Back stage at
some of his shows there were always a ton of avnts, vncles, covsins, old
folkies, blves mvsicians, etc. hanging arovnd. It was almost like a rolling
family revnion. In fact, he called one tovr "The Rolling Blvnder Tovr," making
fvn of Bob Dylan.
Arlo traveled in an old Senicrviser bvs known as the "Blvnder Bvs." It was a
very entertaining place to ride.

I think both Cat Stevens and Arlo Gvthrie at least met. Once abovt 1971, we
did Cat Stevens one night, and Arlo the next. That was in Tampa Florida. Both
shows were in the same avditorivm.
I'm reasonably certain that they saw each other's shows and visited back stage.

Chvck
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:20:12 AM

>Do either celebrate thanksgiving?

I've had Thanksgiving dinner with both (not at the same time), so the answer at
that point ain time was "yes."
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:39:47 AM

Don Cooper wrote:

> What's funny about this, is that many people already had a bias against
> Stevens, so as idiotic as this denial of entry was, Bush wins.

http://catstevens.com/articles/00204/index.html

"I never knowingly gave any terrorist group money," said Islam, who
gained fame in the 1970s as musician Cat Stevens (Bio). "I've given to
poor people and hospitals. I've helped to buy ambulances in the Holy
Land. Obviously quite clear and supportable aims." He insisted, "I have
no affiliation with any organization such as Hamas."

Islam's charitable organization, Mountain of Light, has donated money
and supplies to Israel, Bosnia and Macedonia. He has personally visited
with children and other war victims."

-------

Islam has been at the forefront of efforts by conservative Muslims in
Britain to pressure the government to fund separate Islamic schools. He
was thrust back into the international headlines in 1989 when, during a
speech at a British college he was asked what he thought about Iran's
death sentence against author Salman Rushdie.

Islam's answer - merely that the Koran supported capital punishment for
blasphemy, but that such action was unwise and illegal in the modern
world - became a sensationalistic headline around the world: Kill
Rushdie, says Cat Stevens.

He insists he was misinterpreted and never asked to set the record straight.

"That issue was something people tried to connect me with, and it had
nothing to do with me," he said. "But because I was a famous name, I was
being asked to comment on all sorts of crises affecting the Muslim
world. Which is not really fair, because I'm not a scholar, and I
shouldn't really be asked those kinds of complex legal questions."
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:01:07 AM

Pete Dimsman wrote:

> I would like to see this administration present the facts behind the
> deportation of Mr. Stevens and convince us that it is justified. I think
> EVERYONE should agree that nothing less is acceptable.

The most obvious fact is that he was ejected from Isreal for
contributing to Hamas. How well that act was justified is
another matter but as much as I abhor this administration,
that's good enough reason for me.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:26:35 AM

playon wrote:

> From what I remember reading interviews with Rushdie, I don't think
> so. He lived a life of total fear for many years. He expected
> controversy, yes, but not a death sentence.

True enough, but regardless of what he expected, he knew
what the penalty was and he could not have doubted that what
he wrote was blasphemy. He was just arrogant enough to
think that his stature and distance put him above Islamic
law or that Islamic law had gotten fat and lazy. The fatwah
wouldn't have happened if his name was Sean Coonerty and he
went to mass every Sunday.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I loved the book and the
characterization but I also believe in the old saying,
"don't do the crime if you ain't willin' to do the time."
I'm not saying, either, that it should have been carried out
or am I judging the law one way or another, just the seeming
naivety of a man who is _anything_ but naive. Read a few of
his novels and tell me how naive you think he is about
anything except how special he is. :-)

Hell, read his novels just for fun. At that, he's amazing.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:32:33 AM

Pete Dimsman wrote:

> I do think it may thrust Stevens into the news. It will be
> interesting what he has to say. Could be bad for Bush.
>
> If John Lennon were alive, would be labeled a terrorist and deported?

I miss him a lot these days.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:33:23 AM

playon wrote:

> >If John Lennon were alive, would be labeled a terrorist and deported?
>
> Nixon tried to deport him, didn't he?

Pretty much.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:14:18 AM

Bob Cain wrote:

> The most obvious fact is that he was ejected from Isreal for
> contributing to Hamas.

It doesn't seem so obvious to me.

> How well that act was justified is another
> matter but as much as I abhor this administration, that's good enough
> reason for me.

Well then you are also quite the biget too. How about some level of
proof the man is guilty? Did you even read what he said?

Seems like you have fallen right into the Islamic guilt by association
trap the administration has set. Who's next?

http://catstevens.com/articles/00204/index.html
September 23, 2004 3:33:23 AM

In article <t624l0dpjb1cpljp5clb7bi59psgkp7eps@4ax.com>,
playon <playon@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:08:05 +0200, "Abel Willing"
> <awilling@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"playon" <playon@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >>I feel zero sympathy for Cat Stevens. This article leaves out the
> >> fact that Stevens publicly supported the Fatwah (death sentence)
> >> against author Salman Rushdie.
> >>
> >> Al
> >
> >That's it then for free speech.
>
> Gee I'd say as punishment, denying him entry because of something he
> said is a lot more "free" than a death sentence for writing a book

several people here have wished me dead
should we deport them?
Acknowledging the penalty for blasphomy is death in fundamental
islamic law is not the same as killing someone
the penalty for treason here in the USA is death but We are not killing
GW for his treason acts

I think you are over reacting
George
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:33:24 AM

George wrote:

> Acknowledging the penalty for blasphomy is death in fundamental
> islamic law is not the same as killing someone
> the penalty for treason here in the USA is death but We are not killing
> GW for his treason acts

Remarkably apt analogy.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 7:08:13 AM

<<>Never worked with Mr. Stevens but I have done work with Arlo
>can you imagine those two at thanksgiving dinner
>:-)

Do either celebrate thanksgiving?>>

Arlo?!
elaterium@aol.com (Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:31:39 PM

Bob Cain wrote:

> Proof of support for groups responsible for what is called terror is not
> required for simply stoping someone at the gate. Reasonable suspicion
> is good enough. There are times and situations when erring on the side
> of caution is advisable.

Like I said, you have fallen into the trap. Reasonable suspicion?
Reasonable to whom? Guilty until proven innocent? Do YOU feel Cat
Stevens is a threat?

This IS a very slippery slope you are sliding down.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:02:05 PM

Bob Cain wrote:

> Yousuf Islam has placed himself in at least an ambiguous position at at
> time when ambiguity needs be carefully examined and even preemptively
> excluded. He shouldn't be at all surprised or indignant about that
> after getting over the surprise of it happening.

Cat Stevens Calls U.S. Deportation 'Ridiculous'
http://tinyurl.com/5hxtp

Islam was denied entry to Israel in 2000 after the authorities there
accused him of supporting Hamas. He denied the charges then and said his
charitable donations were for humanitarian causes.

Among the charities he has supported are children affected by war in
Bosnia and Iraq (news - web sites) as well as victims of the Sept. 11,
2001, attacks against America, which he condemned.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:21:27 PM

Pete Dimsman wrote:

> Seems like you have fallen right into the Islamic guilt by association
> trap the administration has set. Who's next?

David Hasselhoff?
September 23, 2004 2:43:20 PM

In article <cith0t02u5v@enews1.newsguy.com>,
Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

> Pete Dimsman wrote:
>
> > I would like to see this administration present the facts behind the
> > deportation of Mr. Stevens and convince us that it is justified. I think
> > EVERYONE should agree that nothing less is acceptable.
>
> The most obvious fact is that he was ejected from Isreal for
> contributing to Hamas. How well that act was justified is
> another matter but as much as I abhor this administration,
> that's good enough reason for me.
>

> Bob
except Mr. Stevens Claims to have never done so.
George
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:28:55 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:26:35 -0700, Bob Cain
<arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

>I also believe in the old saying,
>"don't do the crime if you ain't willin' to do the time."

In this context, it's not much of an argument for free speech.
!