Goodgirl138

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
No keyboard/ No mouse....
When I turn on my laptop it stops loading and says it is going to 'Start Up Repair' then asks if i want to do a system restore. I would do that if I could get the mouse to move to select, 'o.k.' Please help....I borrowed this laptop from a friend and I would like to keep this person as a friend.
Thank you in advance,
Shannon

Goodgirl138

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

Hi...no the touchpad and keyboard don't work, and yes I have tried plugging in an external keyboard and mouse...the laptop does not even acknowledge that I have plugged something else in. Anymore suggestions??? Please, i'll try anything..
Thank you so much for your time,
Shannon

mrmez

Splendid
You ever heard of Bob the builder??

CAN_WE_FIX_IT.jpg

If you have a CD drive in the laptop it might be worth trying a bootable CD (Windows 7 install disk or Linux live CD). This would help confirm/eliminate a hardware problem.

If you can boot of a Windows 7 install CD I'd be inclined to try a repair install.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Another idea would be to hit F8 as though you are going into safe mode and selecting "Last known good configuration..."

I'm not sure how far the pc goes into the boot process before the error message pops up, but it is worth a try.

When you turn the PC on, start tapping the F8 key in about one second intervals. With some luck you will get a black screen with white text with some options. Select the last known good configuration option. It should reboot and hopefully boot right into Windows.

If that doesn't work repeat the process and instead select "Safe mode". When the PC boots up there will be white text rolling against a black screen. Once that is done the screen will look cartoonish and have safe mode in all four corners, this is normal. Try running system restore while in safe mode (to a date prior to the problem) let it reboot and hopefully functionality will have returned.

mrmez not funny.