WD 800JB SE, TOOAASSTT!!!!!!!!

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
How do I check to see what my hard drive is operating at eg; ata33, 66, 100...the reason I ask is because when I initially built this system, the hdd was scoring around 1000 in pcmark, I've had to wipe the hdd a couple of times since then. Now I'm down to a lousy 748, and the hdd seems to be running everything slower than before... PLEASE HELP!!!

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

karlos_luis

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
From Sisoft Sandra FAQ:

Q: How do I know what ATA mode my EIDE disk is in?
A: Firstly, update to Sandra 2001te or later - and check out the ATA/ATAPI Info module. However, you can also deduce this information from the drive benchmark. The buffered/burst read speed should tell you that information. Thus:

Over 95MB/s -> UDMA ATA133
Over 66MB/s -> UDMA ATA100
Over 33MB/s -> UDMA ATA66
Over 16MB/s -> UDMA ATA33
Over 6MB/s -> UDMA

BTW, same thing happened to me. I had to return it because it became very very slow after a couple of partitionings and formats. This drive sucks. (Even though I find it recommended in all forums, not sure whether people have used it before recommending it)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
When you boot your computer the startup screen should give the drives detected and what mode they are running in.
it will either say ATA 100 or UDMA 5 (same thing).

if you think your drive is slow, go to the system devices list in control pannel and check two things.
A. that write cache is enabled for the drive itself and
B. that UDMA is enabled for the primary or secondary IDE channels.

<b><font color=green>A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing! :lol: </b></font color=green>

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Wow, that bites...Which drive did you end up going w/ and how is it doing?

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Ya, Windows says UDMA 5, I think karlos is right, my hdd seems to have slowed down, I may just rma this POS. Glad I did'nt buy two and go raid...Any recommendations on another brand...

karlos_luis

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002
kdo2milger, I havent decided what to get yet. I ended up putting my old 40GB maxtor which I am very happy with. I am still waiting to see whats going to happen with HDDs. Since I just got a mobo w/ Serial ATA support, maybe I'll wait for a good SATA drive or the new line of maxtors.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I've been looking around and checking prices on the Maxtor fluid bearing (the L series) 80gb hdd, and it seems alot of people prefer it over the wd se series, I'm gonna try to rma this one, it is slowly getting worse, I think its toast...I will pick up the Maxtor on payday