Gaming on LCDTV

First, I have a 22inch NEC Diamontron FE2111sb monitor which is a fairly
expensive high end CRT
monitor. I have put off buying an LCD flat panel monitor for a long time
because of response times
and stuck pixel issues. I look at the latest LCD monitors and the picture
of my 22 inch NEC just does
not compare. It's just not as sharp and the colour isn't as vivid as the
lcd. I bought a new Samsung
8ms LCD, but though for the money I am spending, why not just buy an
inexpensive lcdtv instead. So
back went the Samsung monitor and I bought an Insignia 26inch LCDTV which is
sitting on my large
computer desk. I can use 1380x768 native resolution for Windows XP and it
looks almost as good as
any flat panel (except for the smaller vertical resolution). For gaming,
the LCDTV is just simply awesome!
To make up for the lower vertical resolution, I use 4x AA and it there
little or no visible jaggies.

Here's the stats:

Insignia 26inch HD Ready LCD TV

16:9 Widescreen
1366x768 resolution
800:1 Contrast Ratio
15ms response

This is one of the lowest price LCD TV's I have seen on the shelves and
it's also one of the best. HUGE
bang for the buck at $950Cdn at futureshop! It has great features like TV
in PC (watch TV in a window),
picture by picture, multiple inputs and outputs and the display can be
tilted (unlike some tv's with non adjustable
bases).

So 15ms isn't the fastest for gaming, but it's pretty good. It seems no
worse than the 8ms Samsung and I think
you will always notice a little blur irregardless. I was checking some 8ms
lcd's at best buy and they certainly don't
seem to perform like 8ms. Open solitaire and drag a card around. This is
the best way to test image blur I think.

Samsung has a 24 inch LCD TV with 1920x1200 resolution 16ms which was nice,
but at $1899Cdn I decided it was
a bit more than I wanted to spend. Sure would have been nice though.......

Anyone else using an LCDTV for gaming?

--

Rob

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"Rob G" <lost.in.the.zone@sasktel.net> wrote in message

> Here's the stats:
>
> Insignia 26inch HD Ready LCD TV
>
> 16:9 Widescreen
> 1366x768 resolution

Sounds like some pretty big pixels for a 26" screen. I only say that
because I have a Dell 2001FP LCD which is 20" monitor with 1600x1200.

> So 15ms isn't the fastest for gaming, but it's pretty good. It seems no
> worse than the 8ms Samsung and I think

Agreed. The Dell is rated at 16ms (but I've read a few reviews where tech
tests revealed it to be bit lower, surprisingly) and i think it's fine.
Yeah, if you make me look for blurring, I'll find it but I never notice it
at all while gaming.

Hows the darks on the TV? The only thing I don't like about my Dell is that
darks are sometimes *too* dark, even after I've messed around with
calibrations and gamma and whatnot.

Pixel size was one reason I stopped at the 26 inch. I did demo the 32 inch
version and I think it had a little better picture,
but it's too big for the desk. If I could find something with better
resolution under $1500Cdn I might have bought it. The
samsung was just too a big too pricey.

The monitor has several brightness modes (bright, nature, soft and user).
These can be flipped through on the remote at
the touch of a button. For games, tv and movies the nature and bright
settings are the best. For Windows XP I select the
user setting and have turned down the brightness and contrast for easier
viewing. The TV has an 800:1 contrast ratio while
many of the other ones I looked at were only 500:1. So far I have no
complaints about the picture except perhaps the filtering
on the RF input could be better.

--

Rob

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Rob G" <lost.in.the.zone@sasktel.net> wrote in message
>
>> Here's the stats:
>>
>> Insignia 26inch HD Ready LCD TV
>>
>> 16:9 Widescreen
>> 1366x768 resolution
>
> Sounds like some pretty big pixels for a 26" screen. I only say that
> because I have a Dell 2001FP LCD which is 20" monitor with 1600x1200.
>

>> So 15ms isn't the fastest for gaming, but it's pretty good. It seems no
>> worse than the 8ms Samsung and I think
>
> Agreed. The Dell is rated at 16ms (but I've read a few reviews where tech
> tests revealed it to be bit lower, surprisingly) and i think it's fine.
> Yeah, if you make me look for blurring, I'll find it but I never notice it
> at all while gaming.
>
> Hows the darks on the TV? The only thing I don't like about my Dell is
> that darks are sometimes *too* dark, even after I've messed around with
> calibrations and gamma and whatnot.

Well there's already 1 bad (red) pixel after only 2 days of ownership. I
guess the LCD is
going back and the 22inch CRT goes back on my desk. Oh well.

--

Rob

Rob G wrote:

> Well there's already 1 bad (red) pixel after only 2 days of ownership. I
> guess the LCD is
> going back and the 22inch CRT goes back on my desk. Oh well.

You're kidding. Two days

Was this a Samsung?