Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Online multiplayer shmup?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 27, 2005 2:56:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Can anyone recommend an online multiplayer shmup that I can play with a friend?
2player is fine.
Something like Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... perhaps there's a mod for Unreal
like this or somesuch?

--
Toby.
Add the word afiduluminag to the subject
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
August 27, 2005 3:33:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:56:56 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend an online multiplayer shmup that I can play with a friend?
>2player is fine.
>Something like Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... perhaps there's a mod for Unreal
>like this or somesuch?

If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
August 27, 2005 3:50:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 2005-08-26, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:56:56 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend an online multiplayer shmup that I can play with a friend?
>>2player is fine.
>>Something like Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... perhaps there's a mod for Unreal
>>like this or somesuch?
>
> If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.

It's short for Shoot Em Up, like, er, Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... ;) 

--
Toby.
Add the word afiduluminag to the subject
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:55:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Toby <google@asktoby.com> once tried to test me with:

> Can anyone recommend an online multiplayer shmup that I can play with
> a friend? 2player is fine.
> Something like Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... perhaps there's a mod for
> Unreal like this or somesuch?

I have no idea but if you find out let us know. I think that would be a
cool online game. This is what I don't understand about gaming these days,
it's like game developers just forgot about all the cool gaming formats
that were once a lot of fun MP in arcades, and have made apparently no
efforts to transfer them to internet play.

BTW, I never heard of "shmup" before either, but I have heard of Raiden,
Xenon 2, and Ikaruga, so I figured out what you meant.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <slrndgv418.lq7.google@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de>,
google@asktoby.com says...
> Can anyone recommend an online multiplayer shmup that I can play with a friend?
> 2player is fine.
> Something like Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... perhaps there's a mod for Unreal
> like this or somesuch?
>
>

Alien Swarm is an overhead co-op shmup mod for UT2004.


http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/info

http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/features



MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
LOADING
READY.
RUN
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:00:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Toby <google@asktoby.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On 2005-08-26, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:56:56 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone recommend an online multiplayer shmup that I can play with a friend?
>>>2player is fine.
>>>Something like Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... perhaps there's a mod for Unreal
>>>like this or somesuch?
>>
>> If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.
>
>It's short for Shoot Em Up, like, er, Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... ;) 

So does that make the players of them Shmuppets?

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 4:37:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:

>>> If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.
>>
>>It's short for Shoot Em Up, like, er, Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... ;) 
>
>So does that make the players of them Shmuppets?

Oh someone who plays arpiggies shouldn't be so shmug. ;) 
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:21:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
>
>>>> If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.
>>>
>>>It's short for Shoot Em Up, like, er, Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... ;) 
>>
>>So does that make the players of them Shmuppets?
>
>Oh someone who plays arpiggies shouldn't be so shmug. ;) 


Hrm, that would make a good warrior name in Guild Wars;
Shmug the Unruly, or perhaps Shmug the Surly.

Saying arpiggies out loud made me think of Pirate Pigs -hrm, REAL
buccaneers.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Xocyll wrote:
> Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> looked up from reading
> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
> signs say:
>
> >Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
> >
> >>>> If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.
> >>>
> >>>It's short for Shoot Em Up, like, er, Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... ;) 
> >>
> >>So does that make the players of them Shmuppets?
> >
> >Oh someone who plays arpiggies shouldn't be so shmug. ;) 

> Saying arpiggies out loud made me think of Pirate Pigs -hrm, REAL
> buccaneers.

It's not pronounced arpiggies. It's pronounced arrpeegees. It's pee,
not pigs. Get it right!

I'm in a foul mood today.

Knight37
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 7:34:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>
>Xocyll wrote:
>> Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> looked up from reading
>> the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
>> signs say:
>>
>> >Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
>> >
>> >>>> If I knew what a "shmup" was I might be able to help.
>> >>>
>> >>>It's short for Shoot Em Up, like, er, Raiden, xenon 2, ikaruga... ;) 
>> >>
>> >>So does that make the players of them Shmuppets?
>> >
>> >Oh someone who plays arpiggies shouldn't be so shmug. ;) 
>
>> Saying arpiggies out loud made me think of Pirate Pigs -hrm, REAL
>> buccaneers.
>
>It's not pronounced arpiggies. It's pronounced arrpeegees. It's pee,
>not pigs. Get it right!

Unless you have "piggies" pronounced by Inspector Clouseau (or someone
else affecting a bad french accent), it's not going to sound like
"peegee"s

>I'm in a foul mood today.

Then bitch at MC for not spelling it the way you want it pronounced.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
!