MN 720

Hello,
I bought a and set-up a wireless network, a MN 700 and a
MN 720. All worked well until my hp notebook took a header
and is no longer operable. I have replaced it with a
Compaq and I cannot get the MN 720 to connect to the
network any more. It wont let me change the WEP key to
allow connection. I have tried removing the WEP on the
base station but still no luck. I also have a Dell
notebook and it does connect to the network without any
problems.I guess my question is does the MN 720 somehow
fingerprint itself to one notebook? and is there anyway to
reconfigure the adapter?
thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Is the new machine running Windows XP? If so, go into Control
    Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and make sure three services are set to
    automatic and are running: SSDP, Universal Plug and Play, and Wireless Zero
    Configuration. Then go into Network Connections, right-click your icon
    representing the LAN and select Properties. On the Wireless Networks tab
    and make sure "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" has a
    check mark.

    If your LAN shows in the Preferred networks pane, highlight it and then
    click the Properties button. Make sure you've got the correct encryption
    key entered on the Association tab, then that there is no selection of
    "Enable IEEE 802.1x . . ." OK your way out.

    If it doesn't connect, check to make sure your machine is part of the
    192.168.2.* IP range by going to the Command Prompt and typing in "ipconfig"
    without the quotation marks. If it shows a 168.245.*.* then type in
    "ipconfig /release" following by "ipconfig /renew" (again, without quotes).
    You may need to restart the system.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "m Roberts" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I bought a and set-up a wireless network, a MN 700 and a
    > MN 720. All worked well until my hp notebook took a header
    > and is no longer operable. I have replaced it with a
    > Compaq and I cannot get the MN 720 to connect to the
    > network any more. It wont let me change the WEP key to
    > allow connection. I have tried removing the WEP on the
    > base station but still no luck. I also have a Dell
    > notebook and it does connect to the network without any
    > problems.I guess my question is does the MN 720 somehow
    > fingerprint itself to one notebook? and is there anyway to
    > reconfigure the adapter?
    > thanks

    I have the same problem and tried Chris's tips to no
    avail. It sees the base SSID as available but wont
    connect. Turned Security to None and Still no luck.
    I have an HPze4700.
    Next step may be to exchange my kit and try a new one.

    Gary, yes same here, except that i get a error saying that
    the WEP key does not match. Its the same settings /setup
    floppy that I used on the HP that is no longer with us,
    after installation I went back to the wizard and tried to
    change that way but still the same error.

    Dell with intel pro wireless works great, as did the HP

    Chris H yes OS is XP professional, if that makes a
    difference. tried all your suggestions but I was denied
    access to ipconfig/renew. Talked to support, and they are
    sending new adapter. 4-6 weeks. If i hadnt thrown the box
    away I would have returned it....

    take the hint Gary

    I am also having "invalid WEP key" problems, even with
    security turned off. My laptop is a hp ze4600. I am
    glad I found this forum - it looks like the problem may
    be in the adapter or some sort of compatabilty thing.
    Maybe I will return it....

    "Diane" has posted that all that was needed for her compaq
    was to change to channel 1 on both the adapter and base
    station and all was well after--post if it works

    I did the switch to channel 1. This worked for me. Thanks all!

Routers Connection Notebooks Networking