Textures all switched around on NOLF 1

Hi Folks,

After hearing how great No One Lives Forever was, I decided to give it a
try. I know it's an old game, but I thought my Athlon XP 2100+ WinMe
box would be able to handle it. It plays fine except the textures are
completely scrambled. In addition, all of the models in the game (AIs,
Humans) are bleached white, texture free. I'm not sure - maybe this is
intentional?

For example, a wall will be blank one second, then covered from top to
bottom and side to side with green EXIT signs. The carpeting in a
hallway will change between a control switchboard pattern to a wood
lattice, to blank again as I move around.

I have already updated NOLF with the 1003 patch, then 1003to1004. I
also updated it with MapPack002. This didn't help.

I have an NVidia 5700LE card with 128 MB (AGP 4x) with the current 77.72
Nvidia reference driver. My WinMe installation is up to date, and I
have DirectX 9.0B installed.

Among the things I've tried is reducing or turning off all of the
texture options in the game, including reducing the detail level to 16
bit and changing the optimization to highest speed/least detail. No
affect. I tried changing the system BIOS settings to change AGP to
1/2x, and turned off AGP fast writes. No affect from either.

I also added the command line option "+S3TCEnable 0" to the game based
on a tweaks page I found online. No affect. The page also suggested to
change the setting for "Alternate depth buffering technique", but this
is not available in the Nvidia contol settings I have.

If anyone's seen this problem and has an idea what might work, I'd be
happy to hear it. I'd like to try NOLF, but the way it looks on this
machine it can't be played.

Maybe switching out to an ATI video card would help?

Thanks!

-dreq

Hi Folks,

I got this one straightened out. I tried dxdiag and found out that
Direct3D functionality was not available. This program advised me to go
back to using the driver provided by my hardware vendor.

My Nvidia GeForce 5700LE is a Jaton 3DForce 4 product. So I
de-installed the Nvidia 77.72 reference driver, and re-installed the
drivers that came with the Jaton driver CD-ROM.

This re-activated Direct3D support, according to dxdiag. Then I loaded
up NOLF and everything works splendidly - the correct textures and
colors show up everywhere and it runs smoothly.

I've made a practice of keeping up with the latest drivers from Nvidia,
but it looks like I can't do that with this card.

Thanks for the help folks.

-dreq

Derek Mark Edding wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> After hearing how great No One Lives Forever was, I decided to give it a
> try. I know it's an old game, but I thought my Athlon XP 2100+ WinMe
> box would be able to handle it. It plays fine except the textures are
> completely scrambled. In addition, all of the models in the game (AIs,
> Humans) are bleached white, texture free. I'm not sure - maybe this is
> intentional?
>
> For example, a wall will be blank one second, then covered from top to
> bottom and side to side with green EXIT signs. The carpeting in a
> hallway will change between a control switchboard pattern to a wood
> lattice, to blank again as I move around.
>
> I have already updated NOLF with the 1003 patch, then 1003to1004. I
> also updated it with MapPack002. This didn't help.
>
> I have an NVidia 5700LE card with 128 MB (AGP 4x) with the current 77.72
> Nvidia reference driver. My WinMe installation is up to date, and I
> have DirectX 9.0B installed.
>
> Among the things I've tried is reducing or turning off all of the
> texture options in the game, including reducing the detail level to 16
> bit and changing the optimization to highest speed/least detail. No
> affect. I tried changing the system BIOS settings to change AGP to
> 1/2x, and turned off AGP fast writes. No affect from either.
>
> I also added the command line option "+S3TCEnable 0" to the game based
> on a tweaks page I found online. No affect. The page also suggested to
> change the setting for "Alternate depth buffering technique", but this
> is not available in the Nvidia contol settings I have.
>
> If anyone's seen this problem and has an idea what might work, I'd be
> happy to hear it. I'd like to try NOLF, but the way it looks on this
> machine it can't be played.
>
> Maybe switching out to an ATI video card would help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -dreq

I'm playing this one for the very first time though I find
the need to constantly sneak around and avoid guards
and cameras real PITA. Bad coordination does not make
for fun gaming LOL.....

Having said that, there are two cheats "mpclip" and "mpcam"
which are supposed to help with cameras but do not work
at all on my copy of the game....

I see you are using the 77.72's, There is a known problem with these that
causes that washed out look.
From memory you have to go into the GForce properties page -> Color
Correction -> and change the dropdown menu from Desktop to all hit apply,
and then it should be OK.

If I have got it wrong someone will correct me. The other alternative is to
roll back to 71.89's, or try the newest ones. (77.77 IIRC)

oldwolf

Kissing Lettuce wrote:

> Having said that, there are two cheats "mpclip" and "mpcam"
> which are supposed to help with cameras but do not work
> at all on my copy of the game....

I dunno about the mpclip one but I'm pretty sure (from searching) that
the perspective view code is mpasscam.

And, no ... it doesn't work in NOLF2. Dangit.

Hope this helps.

- Sheldon

Sheldon England wrote:

> Kissing Lettuce wrote:
> >
> > Having said that, there are two cheats "mpclip" and "mpcam"
> > which are supposed to help with cameras but do not work
> > at all on my copy of the game....
>
> I dunno about the mpclip one but I'm pretty sure (from searching) that
> the perspective view code is mpasscam.
>
> And, no ... it doesn't work in NOLF2. Dangit.

that's the 3rd person POV hack Not the one I am thinking
of the one I was after is supposed to be "mpcam" which
knobbles the cameras supposedly... I can't find which file
in the game has the cheats inside or I'd have ASCIIed them
out.

In article <431191C6.37207F2F@internode.on.net>, Kissing Lettuce wrote:
> Derek Mark Edding wrote:
>
> I'm playing this one for the very first time though I find
> the need to constantly sneak around and avoid guards
> and cameras real PITA. Bad coordination does not make
> for fun gaming LOL.....

Stick with it, it does get better and more varied...

Smid