10 free PC games you can download

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd
19 answers Last reply
More about free games download

    On 2005-08-28, Groo the Wanderer <jp2@vatican.com> wrote:
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

    Cool. Anyone know what Hidden and Dangerous is like over the internet?
    Can I play it co-op with a mate?

    I've been looking for something Rainbow-Sixey Co-opey Shootey.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    "Groo the Wanderer" <jp2@vatican.com> wrote in message
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

    Good link - thanks!

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:54:55 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

    >On 2005-08-28, Groo the Wanderer <jp2@vatican.com> wrote:
    >> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd
    >
    >Cool. Anyone know what Hidden and Dangerous is like over the internet?

    FYI, Max difficulty is normal. There's a bug on hard where enemies fire 30
    bullets in one frame. Other than that, the game is playable.

    >Can I play it co-op with a mate?

    You can with up to four players - I'd recommend LAN play only as it's too
    difficult to coordinate over the Internet. Also, be propared to switch out
    to the map occasionally - some maps require this sort of activity.

    >I've been looking for something Rainbow-Sixey Co-opey Shootey.

    Close enough - you get insta-killed just as quickly. :)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Groo the Wanderer wrote:

    <snip>

    these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
    to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
    they family and children
    you agree developers should have enough income to feed they
    own family don't you mister wanderer which has now a obvious
    mission to try and do propaganda to online delivery systems
    in this group

    so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
    pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
    now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Groo the Wanderer wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
    > to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
    > they family and children
    > you agree developers should have enough income to feed they
    > own family don't you mister wanderer which has now a obvious
    > mission to try and do propaganda to online delivery systems
    > in this group
    >
    > so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
    > pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
    > now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to sanity and ponctuation

    Wow, that guy rejected both reality and personnal hygiene.

    On 28 Aug 2005 22:22:48 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
    >to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
    >they family and children

    All except for America's Army: Special Forces and Return to Castle
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, since they were never retail titles; you
    may as well throw in The Zork Trilogy for me, since I didn't even own
    a home computer until after Activision bought Infocom (and I'm happy
    to say it wasn't a PC clone).

    When BattleCruiser came out, it was all but unplayable; for many
    people, it WAS unplayable due to random crashes and serious bugs. In
    addition, the developer is a complete dick and I wouldn't bother to
    piss on him if he was on fire much less buy something that would put
    money in his pocket.

    You may as well throw in Marathon 1 and 3, since they were Mac ONLY
    titles. Wouldn't have done PC supporters much good to have purchased
    them.

    >so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
    >pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
    >now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games

    So how many of the 10 titles did you buy and which ones?

    Groo the Wanderer wrote:
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

    I loved Marathon on the Mac - first game with 3d directional sound!!

    That was the game that got me hooked.

    James

    x-no-archive: yes

    Johnny Bravo wrote:

    <snip the usual from this poster trying to make things personal>

    that's not the point
    and don't try again to make this personal
    this has nothing to do with me
    you in the past tried to make a personal vendetta against
    me in this group and fortunately you stoped so don't even
    think you can start it again!

    the issue here is clear
    with a few exceptions of games being total failures or some
    not having commercial releases why are those games released
    for free?
    they are released for free cause the pc game industry is
    simply doing it all wrong!

    you know movies like "casablanca" and "citizen kane"?
    both are classic movies with more than 50 years old
    and are you able to watch them for "free"?
    obviously not!
    there are both commercial products that must be payed to
    be enjoyed
    so why do we have to pay to see 50 year old movies but we
    can get for free 5 year old games
    that's wrong
    and what is wrong is not we having to pay to see 50 year
    old movies but rather NOT PAYING to play 5 year old games
    the movie industry is doing things right and the pc game
    industry is doing things wrong!

    the pc game industry is falling to protect the so needed
    profits
    the pc game industry has to fully utilize all investment
    they make which includes still selling old games just like
    the movie industry does with older movies

    movie back catalogs are worth millions so why doesn't the
    pc game industry try doing the same

    no commercial game even with more than 10 years old should
    be made free
    the pc game industry needs profits to survive so they can
    not throw away any opportunity to get income

    its with the money they get from past and current games
    that the industry can FINANCE future games
    without profits future pc games will stop being made

    its unbelievable the lack of policy pc game publishers have
    toward re-releases in this industry
    its insane seeing old classics but still modern and up to
    date games like "system shock 2" not having a re-release
    and no longer being sold
    and "system shock 2" is not the only example cause there
    are lots of other pc game titles suffering from exactly the
    same problem
    and this is bad policy
    the pc game industry must fully utilize all available back
    catalog of pc game classics to get the so needed income to
    be profitable
    without profits we will stop having pc games

    i can give you at least a list of a dozen good pc game titles
    released no longer than 3 years ago which now i can not get
    in any retail store
    and no i checked its not cause of retail stores not having
    them, its simply cause publishers stop manufacturing those
    titles
    and please don't talk to me about ebay or second hand market
    cause i want to see those games sold NEW in a RETAIL store

    the pc game industry is losing profits with these mistakes

    pc game sales are dropping so everything has to be done to
    not let the pc game industry stop being profitable
    cause if it stops being profitable it will DIE and we will
    stop having this hobby to give us joy and entertainment

    we pc gamer have to protect profits in pc games
    protecting profits means fighting against piracy and also
    promoting more people coming to pc games and buying more
    pc games including older classic titles

    advertising free games and trade sites doesn't help at all
    pc games in a moments of problems with sales and profits
    going down

    helping pc games is writing in this group about old titles
    which still can be bought and recommend them for new gamers
    to purchase and play

    pc gamers have to stop being childish and IRRESPONSIBLE
    pc gamers have to face their own actions
    if pc gamers don't PAY to PLAY then new games will stop being
    made

    playing pc games for free is the last thing a true pc gamer
    would wish for right now cause he knows very well its his own
    RESPONSIBILITY to finance them
    currently playing pc games for free is running away from this
    responsibility

    every single post that i read in this group i try to go way
    beyond what is the initial information trying to be sent and
    bring dept into the discussion specially if there are issues
    vital for pc games
    that's what i did with this
    i brought dept to a plain post informing about a website with
    free games turning it into a major discussion about pc game
    financing and re-release policy
    its this kind of details that make some shine above the rest

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:25:42 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On 28 Aug 2005 22:22:48 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
    >>to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
    >>they family and children
    >
    > All except for America's Army: Special Forces and Return to Castle
    >Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, since they were never retail titles; you
    >may as well throw in The Zork Trilogy for me, since I didn't even own
    >a home computer until after Activision bought Infocom (and I'm happy
    >to say it wasn't a PC clone).
    >
    > When BattleCruiser came out, it was all but unplayable; for many
    >people, it WAS unplayable due to random crashes and serious bugs. In
    >addition, the developer is a complete dick and I wouldn't bother to
    >piss on him if he was on fire much less buy something that would put
    >money in his pocket.
    >
    > You may as well throw in Marathon 1 and 3, since they were Mac ONLY
    >titles. Wouldn't have done PC supporters much good to have purchased
    >them.
    >
    >>so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
    >>pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
    >>now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games
    >
    > So how many of the 10 titles did you buy and which ones?

    Marathon 2 definitely came out on the PC - i should know, cause i own
    a copy

    toadie

    > Johnny Bravo wrote:
    >
    > <snip the usual from this poster trying to make things personal>

    <snip the usual tripe from an annoying arsehole ducking a simple question
    AGAIN>

    Could you not have just answered his question? No one is going to read all
    that shite you've just spouted, except for people who are going to pull your
    post to bits.

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:03:51 GMT, toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:25:42 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    ><baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 28 Aug 2005 22:22:48 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
    >>>to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
    >>>they family and children
    >>
    >> All except for America's Army: Special Forces and Return to Castle
    >>Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, since they were never retail titles; you
    >>may as well throw in The Zork Trilogy for me, since I didn't even own
    >>a home computer until after Activision bought Infocom (and I'm happy
    >>to say it wasn't a PC clone).
    >>
    >> When BattleCruiser came out, it was all but unplayable; for many
    >>people, it WAS unplayable due to random crashes and serious bugs. In
    >>addition, the developer is a complete dick and I wouldn't bother to
    >>piss on him if he was on fire much less buy something that would put
    >>money in his pocket.
    >>
    >> You may as well throw in Marathon 1 and 3, since they were Mac ONLY
    >>titles. Wouldn't have done PC supporters much good to have purchased
    >>them.
    >>
    >>>so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
    >>>pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
    >>>now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games
    >>
    >> So how many of the 10 titles did you buy and which ones?
    >
    >Marathon 2 definitely came out on the PC - i should know, cause i own
    >a copy

    I know that, that's why I said 1 and 3.

    On 29 Aug 2005 21:54:02 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >i can give you at least a list of a dozen good pc game titles
    >released no longer than 3 years ago which now i can not get
    >in any retail store

    Do it. List them now.

    x-no-archive: yes

    Johnny Bravo wrote:

    > Do it. List them now.

    no way will i disclose them to you
    you know what would you do?
    obviously you would tell me every single game i list is
    available in stock in every single retail store you go
    so no matter what, you will always deny me

    i say piracy is a big problem in pc games
    you say piracy is almost none existent in pc games

    i say profits and sales are down in pc games
    you say sales and profits are breaking records in pc games

    i say unfair competition from consoles damage pc games
    you say consoles are totally harmless to pc games

    i say steam cannot be used by every pc gamer
    you say steam is perfect and every pc gamer must use it

    you will always deny me so i will not fall into your trap

    what is the important issue in this thread?
    simply that pc games have a bad policy with re-releases of
    older titles and that its difficult to find many good games
    with more than 2/3 years old and retailers do have limited
    shelve space for pc games so older titles are sacrificed
    and the solution for this?
    like i told in my previous post for me the solution is to
    create dedicated specialized pc game only retail stores

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    "Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    <snip>

    >>and what is wrong is not we having to pay to see 50 year
    >>old movies but rather NOT PAYING to play 5 year old games
    >
    > Really? You might want to call up NBC, ABC and CBS and tell them
    > I'm not paying for the movies I watch.

    Actually you and I and the rest of the public do pay, whether we watched
    their programs or not. TV is for commericals. (excluding HBO/Show and PBS
    type channels) And everytime someone buys product X, part of the $ goes to
    the companys ad campaign.

    I didn't watch any TV this week. Still when I bought milk from the store
    part of the $ goes to Cal Ripken Jr. Even though he made millions off of
    baseball, and I'm not a big fan of his, and never turned on the boob tube.

    Its been awhile, but I seem to recall that 25% of the cost of buying a six
    pack of Miller beer went to the ads on TV. :(

    BTW good post Johnny, even though you're preaching on deaf ears.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 05:03:10 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs>
    wrote:

    >Actually you and I and the rest of the public do pay, whether we watched
    >their programs or not. TV is for commericals. (excluding HBO/Show and PBS
    >type channels) And everytime someone buys product X, part of the $ goes to
    >the companys ad campaign.

    But if I do not buy product X, I am not paying for that movie. I
    can't even remember the last time I bought a product due to paid
    advertising. Advertising is an attempt to part me from my money based
    on the say so of those with the product, hardly the most unbiased
    source of information.

    >I didn't watch any TV this week. Still when I bought milk from the store
    >part of the $ goes to Cal Ripken Jr. Even though he made millions off of
    >baseball, and I'm not a big fan of his, and never turned on the boob tube.

    Yes, but you're not paying full price to the owner of that movie for
    watching it. Otherwise you would be charged $7+ for each movie that
    comes on TV.

    On 31 Aug 2005 22:01:17 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >this was the only thing worthy for me to quote from your post
    >although i want to make a correction, older titles should not
    >be sold at 50 bucks but rather 5 bucks
    >5 bucks should be the price for any pc games with more than
    >3 years old

    This is kind of irrelevant really. According to you a "true pc
    gamer" has already purchased those games 3 years ago for full price,
    thus "paying to play" and "rewarding the retail channel", thus there
    is absolutely NO NEED to sell old games in stores.

    "you are a true supporting pc gamer by always paying to play, and
    that is so regardless of the price you pay but buying a pc game at
    release has a special meaning, the meaning of you whiling to pay
    full price for a pc game showing your appreciation for the developers
    hard work in giving us the best possible joyful moments we get from
    pc games" - you, in case you've forgotten already

    x-no-archive: yes

    Johnny Bravo wrote:

    > This is kind of irrelevant really. According to you a
    > "true pc gamer" has already purchased those games 3 years
    > ago for full price, thus "paying to play" and "rewarding
    > the retail channel", thus there is absolutely NO NEED to
    > sell old games in stores.

    now there you have it mr bravo
    you will now hear from me yet another innovative
    and very daring idea

    currently i do recommend pc gamers buying a second
    copy of their own favorite pc games
    yes you hear me correctly, buy a second copy that
    will function as a secure backup copy

    so if you have the money you should buy the game at
    release and later when a gold edition has a lower
    budget price you should buy it also so you can have
    two versions and copies of your favorite games
    advantages of this solution:
    .. having a backup copy
    .. having a gold edition already fully patched
    .. supporting developers that gave you be best titles
    .. supporting not only the market when the titles are
    released but also when they are available as classic
    budget re-releases

    so as you see once again mr bravo i have answers to
    the issues and challenges in pc games
    i give answers to the problems and you don't!
    you and all the rest in this group should thank me
    for such innovative ideas

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 05:03:10 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Actually you and I and the rest of the public do pay, whether we watched
    >>their programs or not. TV is for commericals. (excluding HBO/Show and
    >>PBS
    >>type channels) And everytime someone buys product X, part of the $ goes
    >>the companys ad campaign.
    >
    > But if I do not buy product X, I am not paying for that movie. I
    > can't even remember the last time I bought a product due to paid
    > advertising. Advertising is an attempt to part me from my money based
    > on the say so of those with the product, hardly the most unbiased
    > source of information.

    I have a DVR (digital video recorder) for my cable box. I rarely watch any
    live show, because I dislike the breaks for the commericals. And when I
    watch my recorded programs, I skip thru the commericals. Still when I go
    to the store, part of the $ that I spend on Doritos, Miller beer, and
    twinkies goes to them darn ads on TV, newspapers, magazines, and billboards.

    Oh, and while you and I don't buy product X cause of ads, they must be
    working on the public. The ads where it makes it seem like if you use
    their product then you'll look better, be cooler, and make the babes swoon
    all over your.

    And sometimes after a Miller 6 pack, I really do believe I'm the handsomest,
    smartest, and the biggest babe magnet in the world. ;-)
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 1 Sep 2005 22:38:07 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >Johnny Bravo wrote:
    >
    >> This is kind of irrelevant really. According to you a
    >> "true pc gamer" has already purchased those games 3 years
    >> ago for full price, thus "paying to play" and "rewarding
    >> the retail channel", thus there is absolutely NO NEED to
    >> sell old games in stores.
    >
    >now there you have it mr bravo

    So stores shouldn't be selling old games, glad to see you agree just
    how stupid your original idea was.

    >you will now hear from me yet another innovative
    >and very daring idea
    >
    >currently i do recommend pc gamers buying a second
    >copy of their own favorite pc games
    >yes you hear me correctly, buy a second copy that
    >will function as a secure backup copy

    I make my own backup copies without spending $50 for them, thanks.

PC gaming Download Games IBM Video Games Product