CD fails to be read at all

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a 16x LiteOn DVD and WinXP SP1. Whenever I put a CD, or DVD in the drive, it spins up, but fails to be recognized by Windows Explorer, or by any program that could use it (WMP for video/ audio, games for game disks). I checked autorun and it is still on, however nothing ever autoruns. Furthermore, if I try to access a simple data disk from My Computer, it pops up witht he "Insert a disk in drive" error message. I believe the problem got started when I intalled TweakXP a long time ago (by enabling the optimize for 16x DVD option), however after I unistalled TweakXP, disks could once again be read by programs as well as windows.

So either I am dealing with a faulty drive, or a Windows mishap. Can anyone point me to a direction based on the info I provided? If anything sounds familiar or fishy, please get back to me, because I don't have the money to buy another drive right now. Thanks.

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
hmmmm, I have the same dvd drive and have been having the exact problems except I haven't done the SP1. The drive is very picky sometime reading media. Sometimes it needs a restart before it can recognize the same cd it didn't before. This drive worked great in win98, but damn XP. I'm just using my trusty cdrw to read anything the dvd doesn't. Hopefully there is a fix out there. Good Luck to us and any other unlucky souls out there ;]

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get

Have you checked the LiteOn website to see if your problem is addressed in the FAQ section, or if theres a software patch, or firmware update, that addresses the problem in WinXP. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.