MIDI Phrase Sampler?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 22, 2004 6:13:13 PM

I'm trying to locate some software that will do the following: I
would like to be able to trigger pieces of midi info by pressing a
single key on my MIDI keyboard controller. Therefore I could assign a
different "stream" of midi info for each key. These "streams" could
range in length from a short three note figure to an enitre 20 minute
piece. Even though I know this technically isn't a sampler, it is
similiar to a sampler in the way a sound fx artist might load up a
different, say, animal sound for each key. I would like to switch
back and fourth between pieces on the fly, each time I press a new
key, the corresponding "stream" would play from it's begining, as long
as I hold it down, it continues to play, when I release the key, it
would stop. Mulitple polyphony would be nice as well so I could play
mulitpe "streams" concurently. And I would like the resulting weave
of pieces to be "recorded" into a single midi file that I cold then
take into Finale and work on. I have no standalone midi recorder, so
all this would be done inside the computer. All the info is MIDI, no
digital audio info will ever be involved. I imagine there must be
some sort of advanced sequencer that could do such a thing.

Anybody know of anything? Sorry for the verbose explanation, if no
one understands what I'm after I will try to refine the description.

More about : midi phrase sampler

September 23, 2004 2:46:56 AM

I found this sampler. It is free and very basic. I create drum loops and
load them to this sampler to trigger from drum pads via a midi controller on
my laptop. It works really well and is not too flashy. It would be perfect
for what you are doing. I hope this helps:

http://www.deelong.com/deesampler.htm

Doug

"Ryan" <inkexit@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D ea39397.0409221313.2dedeef9@posting.google.com...
> I'm trying to locate some software that will do the following: I
> would like to be able to trigger pieces of midi info by pressing a
> single key on my MIDI keyboard controller. Therefore I could assign a
> different "stream" of midi info for each key. These "streams" could
> range in length from a short three note figure to an enitre 20 minute
> piece. Even though I know this technically isn't a sampler, it is
> similiar to a sampler in the way a sound fx artist might load up a
> different, say, animal sound for each key. I would like to switch
> back and fourth between pieces on the fly, each time I press a new
> key, the corresponding "stream" would play from it's begining, as long
> as I hold it down, it continues to play, when I release the key, it
> would stop. Mulitple polyphony would be nice as well so I could play
> mulitpe "streams" concurently. And I would like the resulting weave
> of pieces to be "recorded" into a single midi file that I cold then
> take into Finale and work on. I have no standalone midi recorder, so
> all this would be done inside the computer. All the info is MIDI, no
> digital audio info will ever be involved. I imagine there must be
> some sort of advanced sequencer that could do such a thing.
>
> Anybody know of anything? Sorry for the verbose explanation, if no
> one understands what I'm after I will try to refine the description.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:09:16 AM

"Ryan" <inkexit@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D ea39397.0409221313.2dedeef9@posting.google.com...
> I'm trying to locate some software that will do the following: I
> would like to be able to trigger pieces of midi info by pressing a
> single key on my MIDI keyboard controller. Therefore I could assign a
> different "stream" of midi info for each key. These "streams" could
> range in length from a short three note figure to an enitre 20 minute
> piece. Even though I know this technically isn't a sampler, it is
> similiar to a sampler in the way a sound fx artist might load up a
> different, say, animal sound for each key. I would like to switch
> back and fourth between pieces on the fly, each time I press a new
> key, the corresponding "stream" would play from it's begining, as long
> as I hold it down, it continues to play, when I release the key, it
> would stop. Mulitple polyphony would be nice as well so I could play
> mulitpe "streams" concurently. And I would like the resulting weave
> of pieces to be "recorded" into a single midi file that I cold then
> take into Finale and work on. I have no standalone midi recorder, so
> all this would be done inside the computer. All the info is MIDI, no
> digital audio info will ever be involved. I imagine there must be
> some sort of advanced sequencer that could do such a thing.

Take a look at Ableton Live 4. If I follow you, it can do what you're after
or get the same result with a slightly different process..

jb
!