Sid Meier's Pirates: What the enemy can do, but I can't

A few things that anoy me about this game:

- Why is it that enemy ship can turn against the wind and run away
faster than me? If I try to turn my ship in his direction, my speed
reduces to zero and my ship turns away and let the enemy runs away.

- In some sword fights, my guy is reacting slower for some unknown
reason. I notice he has this circle above his head, what is it?

- Anyone experience game lock up during sword fight?

"doobeeyah" <doobeeyah@hotmail.com> wrote:
>A few things that anoy me about this game:
>
>- Why is it that enemy ship can turn against the wind and run away
>faster than me? If I try to turn my ship in his direction, my speed
>reduces to zero and my ship turns away and let the enemy runs away.

Adjust ye sails arrrrrr!
And learn to tack.

>- In some sword fights, my guy is reacting slower for some unknown
>reason. I notice he has this circle above his head, what is it?
>
>- Anyone experience game lock up during sword fight?

schrodinger

"doobeeyah" <doobeeyah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A few things that anoy me about this game:
>
> - Why is it that enemy ship can turn against the wind and run away
> faster than me? If I try to turn my ship in his direction, my speed
> reduces to zero and my ship turns away and let the enemy runs away.

Gibe, don't tack into the wind. I.e. if the wind is coming from the North,
tack by turning *away* from the wind - i.e. your bow should point to the
South at some point when turning. This allows you to leep up speed and you
can often get a boost if done correctly.

Once this is done, keep tacking. If you get the hang of this, you will
*always* outrun enemies with a similar ship type.

The type of ship you have makes a very big difference. There are try
www.gamefaqs.com and search for the game for more info.

> - In some sword fights, my guy is reacting slower for some unknown
> reason. I notice he has this circle above his head, what is it?

The circle means he is losing. You need to hone your skills.

> - Anyone experience game lock up during sword fight?

No.

Um, a gibe is turning downwind, coming about is turning upwind. Depending on
wind conditions and how much sail you're carrying gibing is a good way to
capsize a capri (smallish, 16' sailboat), don't ask me how I know this.

--
there is no .sig
"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

> "doobeeyah" <doobeeyah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>A few things that anoy me about this game:
>>
>> - Why is it that enemy ship can turn against the wind and run away
>> faster than me? If I try to turn my ship in his direction, my speed
>> reduces to zero and my ship turns away and let the enemy runs away.
>
> Gibe, don't tack into the wind. I.e. if the wind is coming from the
> North, tack by turning *away* from the wind - i.e. your bow should point
> to the South at some point when turning. This allows you to leep up speed
> and you can often get a boost if done correctly.
>
> Once this is done, keep tacking. If you get the hang of this, you will
> *always* outrun enemies with a similar ship type.
>
> The type of ship you have makes a very big difference. There are try
> www.gamefaqs.com and search for the game for more info.
>
>> - In some sword fights, my guy is reacting slower for some unknown
>> reason. I notice he has this circle above his head, what is it?
>
> The circle means he is losing. You need to hone your skills.
>
>> - Anyone experience game lock up during sword fight?
>
> No.

schrodinger

Thanks for the education. My last 30 years of sailing have clearly been
wasted. Maybe I didn't explain it very well...

If you capsized a 16' boat in anything less than a gale, you must have been
helming in a very interesting way.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Um, a gibe is turning downwind, coming about is turning upwind. Depending
> on wind conditions and how much sail you're carrying gibing is a good way
> to capsize a capri (smallish, 16' sailboat), don't ask me how I know this.
>
> --
> there is no .sig
> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "doobeeyah" <doobeeyah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>A few things that anoy me about this game:
>>>
>>> - Why is it that enemy ship can turn against the wind and run away
>>> faster than me? If I try to turn my ship in his direction, my speed
>>> reduces to zero and my ship turns away and let the enemy runs away.
>>
>> Gibe, don't tack into the wind. I.e. if the wind is coming from the
>> North, tack by turning *away* from the wind - i.e. your bow should point
>> to the South at some point when turning. This allows you to leep up
>> speed and you can often get a boost if done correctly.
>>
>> Once this is done, keep tacking. If you get the hang of this, you will
>> *always* outrun enemies with a similar ship type.
>>
>> The type of ship you have makes a very big difference. There are try
>> www.gamefaqs.com and search for the game for more info.
>>
>>> - In some sword fights, my guy is reacting slower for some unknown
>>> reason. I notice he has this circle above his head, what is it?
>>
>> The circle means he is losing. You need to hone your skills.
>>
>>> - Anyone experience game lock up during sword fight?
>>
>> No.

schrodinger

clarification: capsized whilst gibing!

> Thanks for the education. My last 30 years of sailing have clearly been
> wasted. Maybe I didn't explain it very well...
>
> If you capsized a 16' boat in anything less than a gale, you must have
> been helming in a very interesting way.
>
> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Um, a gibe is turning downwind, coming about is turning upwind. Depending
>> on wind conditions and how much sail you're carrying gibing is a good way
>> to capsize a capri (smallish, 16' sailboat), don't ask me how I know
>> this.
>>
>> --
>> there is no .sig
>> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "doobeeyah" <doobeeyah@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Gibe, don't tack into the wind. I.e. if the wind is coming from the
>>> North, tack by turning *away* from the wind - i.e. your bow should point
>>> to the South at some point when turning. This allows you to leep up
>>> speed and you can often get a boost if done correctly.
>>>
>>> Once this is done, keep tacking. If you get the hang of this, you will
>>> *always* outrun enemies with a similar ship type.
>>>
>>> The type of ship you have makes a very big difference. There are try
>>> www.gamefaqs.com and search for the game for more info.

>>> The circle means he is losing. You need to hone your skills.

>>> No.

"doobeeyah" <doobeeyah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A few things that anoy me about this game:
>
> - Why is it that enemy ship can turn against the wind and run away
> faster than me? If I try to turn my ship in his direction, my speed
> reduces to zero and my ship turns away and let the enemy runs away.

It would depend on a few factors:

1. The type of boat that you are on
2. The type of boat the enemy is on
3. The direction you take in regard to the wind (same for the enemy).
Check your game manual about best course to take which is dependant upon the
wind direction and the type of ship that you are sailing.
4. Sailing crew number and special seamen. If your crew is too small, I
believe you go slower. Also, I believe you can get special crewmen that
will aid you in sailing. You can find them on ships that you capture.
Sometimes the barmaid in port will tell you about them.
5. Are you sails up or down?

> - In some sword fights, my guy is reacting slower for some unknown
> reason. I notice he has this circle above his head, what is it?

You've been hit, or you went to thrust and missed. So you're off balance?
Sorry but its been awhile since I've played the game. See links below.
You should be able to find the answer there.

BTW If you attack a large force with a tiny force, then expect to see this
circle above your head a lot. Especially when you miss. You might want to
think about pulling into port and getting some more crewmen.

> - Anyone experience game lock up during sword fight?

If your game is locking up, its usually a sign of an outdated driver.
Check for latest video driver, DirectX, sound card, and motherboard.

Also, try reading the forums at these 2 sites. Some very good tactics and
tips posted in their forums.

http://www.addictedtopirates.com/
http://www.piratesahoy.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/