ElectroVoice EVI 12 "Vari Intense" Install Speaker?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 23, 2004 1:23:27 AM

Anybody have experience with this ElectroVoice EVI 12 "Vari Intense"
install speaker? Considering one of these for a church install but have
never heard one. Has an interesting asymmetrical horn pattern that might
be just right for covering the congregation from an elevated central
mounting position.

--
ha
September 24, 2004 1:30:24 AM

walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote in news:1gkiqaz.1qalol5aomq34N%
walkinay@thegrid.net:

> Anybody have experience with this ElectroVoice EVI 12 "Vari Intense"
> install speaker? Considering one of these for a church install but have
> never heard one. Has an interesting asymmetrical horn pattern that might
> be just right for covering the congregation from an elevated central
> mounting position.
>
> --
> ha

We are using the EVI-15 at about 23 feet above the floor. The seating area
of our sanctuary is about 45-50 feet wide by about 55-60 feet deep. The
speaker covers the first row at 13 feet back from the mount(about 110
degrees) all the way to the last seat very evenly. It handles everything
from organist to a rock band. If you poke around on the EV website enough,
you'll eventually come across several documents on it, including radiation
patterns. As far as I can tell, the radiation pattern helps minimize echo
off the walls.

-Bruce
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 2:01:57 AM

Bruce wrote:

> (hank alrich) wrote:

> > Anybody have experience with this ElectroVoice EVI 12 "Vari Intense"
> > install speaker? Considering one of these for a church install but have
> > never heard one. Has an interesting asymmetrical horn pattern that might
> > be just right for covering the congregation from an elevated central
> > mounting position.

> We are using the EVI-15 at about 23 feet above the floor. The seating area
> of our sanctuary is about 45-50 feet wide by about 55-60 feet deep. The
> speaker covers the first row at 13 feet back from the mount(about 110
> degrees) all the way to the last seat very evenly. It handles everything
> from organist to a rock band. If you poke around on the EV website enough,
> you'll eventually come across several documents on it, including radiation
> patterns. As far as I can tell, the radiation pattern helps minimize echo
> off the walls.

Thanks, Bruce. I need to cover roughly 40' x 42', from a position
elevated in the range 13' to maybe 16'. The speaker will carry mainly
speaking voice, with low volume music ocassionally. I've read the docs
and looked over the dispersion pattern data, all interesting stuff.

Prior to finding the EVI series I thought I'd need to spec at least two
speakers to cover the congregation. I think I can do that with a single
EVI 12.

The low cost of using this speaker, including installation costs, means
there is more room in the budget for acoustical treatment, which the
room needs very badly. It is one of the least intelligible rooms I've
ever dealt with, capable of screwing up unamplified speech from an
articulate human standing only 10 or 12 feet away from a listener. Now,
to an aging congregation with deteriorating hearing add a Polish pastor
for whom English is not the first language, and scripture might get
reinterpreted by accident.

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:

>The low cost of using this speaker, including installation costs, means
>there is more room in the budget for acoustical treatment, which the
>room needs very badly. It is one of the least intelligible rooms I've
>ever dealt with, capable of screwing up unamplified speech from an
>articulate human standing only 10 or 12 feet away from a listener. Now,
>to an aging congregation with deteriorating hearing add a Polish pastor
>for whom English is not the first language, and scripture might get
>reinterpreted by accident.

You might also look at the SLS speakers, which can be arranged for very
narrow but tall patterns. Excellent pattern control. They are not cheap,
but they might be a good bit less expensive than an array with a similar
pattern.

The problem with room treatment is that good room treatment is either ugly
or expensive, and churches tend not to want to pay for anything or live
with something ugly. But just the combination of a new carpet and some
hanging fibreglass flags can do wonders to some of these rooms, just because
the reverb time starts out so long to begin with that anything can shorten
it. This will reduce the confusion on the part of parishners who think
they are being told to covet their neighbors wives.
--scott

September 24, 2004 8:24:33 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> hank alrich wrote:

> >The low cost of using this speaker, including installation costs, means
> >there is more room in the budget for acoustical treatment, which the
> >room needs very badly.

> You might also look at the SLS speakers, which can be arranged for very
> narrow but tall patterns. Excellent pattern control. They are not cheap,
> but they might be a good bit less expensive than an array with a similar
> pattern.

Those, and the new EAW DSA looked interesting for this app, but they
don't have enough money.

> The problem with room treatment is that good room treatment is either ugly
> or expensive, and churches tend not to want to pay for anything or live
> with something ugly.

White Realtraps would fit right onto part of the ceiling and blend in
nicely. But they could use more of those than they can afford, so I
might see if they can muster a team of volunteers to build 4' x 8'
traps. I can oversee this but I don't have time to build 'em.

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> The problem with room treatment is that good room treatment is either ugly
>> or expensive, and churches tend not to want to pay for anything or live
>> with something ugly.
>
>White Realtraps would fit right onto part of the ceiling and blend in
>nicely. But they could use more of those than they can afford, so I
>might see if they can muster a team of volunteers to build 4' x 8'
>traps. I can oversee this but I don't have time to build 'em.

I can't make the acousticsfirst website work properly, but I know they have
banners. White banners are probably the most absorption per dollar that
you can get. They are fibreglass batting with perforated vinyl over top.
--scott