I really Really need help! Raid is eating comp

jeffbax

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Yesterday I set up a RAID 0 array w/ 2 of the Western Digital 80 Gig Hard drives w/ 8 MB cache.. my first raid ever.

All was well when I finally got windows installed, and I had to install it again after I copied files I had on my old hard drive to the new raid, so that I could format the old one instead of having partitions on it.

ANYWAY... Today I was copying files back FROM my RAID0 Drives onto my old hard disk (primary master)

and after I'm all said and done, I'm missing a lot of gigabytes

For instance, my G partition is about 55 gigs in size, it reports 32.2 GB free, but I'm only using up about 3.5 gigs

This happened to my H drive as well, and to a lesser extent my C and D Drives (Windows is on the D Drive, C is my old hard disk)

What is eating up my space and how do I get it back

Also, I'm using a KR7A-Raid, and my other hard disk is a 60 gig IBM 7200 rpm.

Win XP home
Athlon xp 1800

I tried to use norton disk doctor but it did nothing.

They are in a RAID 0 Array

I just tested cutting a file from C (the primary hard drive on the IDE) to my D Drive on the RAID, and it cut the file, but I didn't get any space back, and it did take up space on my RAID

I tried copying it back, but it just ate more space

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
This sound like a software problem. Are you using the correct drivers. What RAID controller is on your mobo? Highpoint recommends that only matching versions of bios/driver is used. Check this.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
No idea what you are up to. Why do you have your old drive (now non-boot volume) as C and not your RAID setup? Anyway, that means NTDETECT and BOOT.INI now end up on C and your system on D (assuming you are using WinXP or 2K).

All was well when I finally got windows installed..
Great!

and I had to install it again after I copied files I had on my old hard drive to the new raid , so that I could format the old one instead of having partitions on it.
Not sure what you are doing here. You had to install windows again? Because you formated C and then WinXP wouldn't boot I guess - NTDETECT not found :)

Tja ,anyway, what stripe size did you put on your RAID0? If your stripe size is large then RAID0 will take up more space, the larger the stripe size, the better the performance, and the more space small files consume. How many partitions did you create anyway? Did you format them in NTFS? If you used a large block size that will also take more room. Did you previously use a NTFS compressed partition?