How to re-install default Win7 Codecs

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hello,

Recently, well the other day I decided I would re-install Oblivion and after re-install something went haywire and now music will not play in Oblivion. Well, it might, but if I leave music on it will freeze my mouse and keyboard 5 minutes into loading a game each and every time, leading the game to be unplayable. A little background in case you were wondering why I would want to reset Win7 codecs.

Well, I have looked all over google and have not seen any way to un-install all codecs and re-install default codecs that were installed with windows 7. This is all i'm trying to do.

P.S. - if WMP12 is uninstalled, would that remove the codecs with it? and would re-installing WMP12 add the codecs back, or do the codecs come with the Windows 7 install itself.

Thanks

-J

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I'm an apprentice and your a youngster and your welcoming me? :non:

Lol, just kidding well welcome to you too. Haven't been here for the longest time but enjoying it so far.

1. K-lite Codec Pack doesn't reset my default Win7 codecs. It adds more. I want bare bones codecs that were installed with Windows 7. Not sure if it is possible without a reformat the way Winshaft does things since XP.

2. That, only works with WinXP. Hasn't been updated in years, and tried messaging him as he advertises on Bethesda's forums. Message box is full. Dude is long gone.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I'm an apprentice and your a youngster and your welcoming me? :non:
SORRY! :kaola:
1. K-lite Codec Pack doesn't reset my default Win7 codecs. It adds more.
I know what K-lite Codec Pack does. But it has solved lot's of hassle for me from time to time when i didn't had time to do format & reinstall.
I want bare bones codecs that were installed with Windows 7
I doubt if there is any way to do that.
Have you already tried uninstalling & installing MP12?
Not sure if it is possible without a reformat
I don't argue that.

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Well Microshaft likes to throw this little thing called TrustedInstaller at you which is pretty much pointless. It would prevent a dope from uninstalling a program, it can be done haven't tried it yet.

I was hoping maybe someone knew if it re-installed the codecs along with it.

I have tried the K-Lite codec pack already. Reason I responded like that is people throw that codec pack out left and right hailing it as the end all solution and all it has done for me is bloated up my system.

This post was mainly created so I could again enable music in Oblivion without it freezing my mouse and keyboard after 5 minutes, like clockwork, each time. Happened out of the blue after I decided to re-install the game, lol.

You can see all that i've tried here: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1075344 .

Any experts out there want to lend a hand?

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I got this in IGNboards http://boards.ign.com/elder_scrolls/b5312/113315696/p3 :
Problem: Okay, i dont know if this has been resolved or not, but i must have missed it reading the posts in that case.
When playing oblivion after 6-7 minutes, sometimes its pretty random but mostly 6-7 minutes. The keyboard and Mouse freezes up and the game keeps running, i just cant move the mouse or use the keyboard. I can however alt+tab and ctrl+alt+del but no ingame commands work.
I tried to wait the problem out, but after a hour i figured that it wasent a matter of time. I really need help with this problem beucase i really love the game... :-(
Just a quicky fix:

"Platform: PC
Glitch: If you have ffdshow audio codecs, oblivion.exe seems open the codec everytime an audio file is played, after a few hours gaming PC become unstable because of it
Solve: Uninstall ffdshow audio codecs.
Submitted by AngryZaB "

You don't necessarily have to uninstall ffdshow. You can tell it not to load when executing oblivion. On the "patches page" for Oblivion it tells you how to do that. Yeah, this annoyed me as hell.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patchnotes5.htm

"FF" icons in the system tray
Some users have reported having numerous "FF" icons in their taskbar during or after playing Oblivion. These icons are from a seperate video/audio decoder you may have installed in the past called "FFDShow." This program is processing the sound files for Oblivion, which some users have reported slows down the game, and can leave the icons in their system tray. Simply moving the mouse over those icons will get rid of them after you stop playing Oblivion. Uninstalling FFDShow can fix this, but it is NOT necessary. You can follow the steps below to tell FFDShow not to handle sound for Oblivion.

Instructions for disabling the FFDShow for Oblivion without fully removing it:

Click Start
Click "All Programs" (or just Programs, depending on the version of Windows, whether they're using "classic," etc.)
Go to the ffdshow folder.
Click "Audio decoder configuration."
In the left hand pane, click "Info & debug." This is the second entry in the list.
In the right hand pane, near the bottom, find a check box labelled "Don't use ffdshow in:"
Check that box, and in the text box underneath (it lights up when you check the check box), add "oblivion.exe" (don't include the quotes). If there is already something in that box, put a semi-colon ( ; ) after what's already there, and oblivion.exe after that. Do NOT use spaces, since ffdshow will think that's part of the filename. A valid entry would be "explorer.exe;oblivion.exe" (without quotes).
Finally, click "Ok" and start Oblivion. "

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
ujaansona,

I've tried that already. I just now tried disabling all ffdshow codecs via the tool you linked to rwpritchett. Comes with the K-Lite codec pack, and still no music.

I think i've tried everything, plus some lol. I guess I will just have to live without music in Oblivion.

Thanks
-J

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Pretty much first thing I tried. How could I have forgotten my specs?

Here they are:

i7-920 @ 4ghz
HD5970 2GB
6GB OCZ DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Auzentech Prelude X-fi 7.1
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Logitech Z-5500
Windows 7 x64

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Crossfire? That would disabling crossfire, aka I would only be using 1 of 2 GPU's in my 5970. Makes no difference.

Have yet to take my sound card out and probably will not, as it was working 100% WITH my sound card prior to re-install. I think it is just something that cannot be undone at this point. Maybe a registry setting got borked?