Windows 7 VPN Router Configuration

bryceray1121

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I am attempting to setup a VPN for my local network. I have configured my desktop at home to accept incoming connections. I have assigned the incoming connections a small segment of my dhcp port range.

I have setup a static ip on my router for my desktop using dhcp and configured ports 47 and 1723 to forward to my statically defined ip address.

I then looked up my public IP address and attempted to set up a vpn connections with a windows computer outside of my local network.

I also disabled windows firewall in order to eliminate possible problems.

I end up with: Connection failed with error 800.

I enabled some logging on my router and I see this line from the ip address of the computer trying to connect to the vpn service:
IPOfConnectingComputer TCP https Dropped

I also see this line repeated in the logs:
Oct 10 13:00:53 NameOfMyNetwork user.warn kernel: DROP IN=eth1 OUT= MAC=AMacAddress SRC=IPOfConnectingComputer DST=IPOfRouter LEN=57 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=115 ID=23544 PROTO=47

*Note I substituted words for the actual ip/mac addresses above.

I've also tried connecting from my android phone. I get the error:
Server hung up. Is it possible that you are behind a firewall that prevents you from connecting to the server.

I am using Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 on my router.

Any suggestions on ways to troubleshoot this or what might be going wrong?

G

My VPN knowledge is based around Juniper devices, but the first log you show says it's dropping https or port 443, is the remote computer trying to connect with SSTP rather than PPTP that you have configured

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You problem is it is not PORT 47 it is PROTOCOL 47 which is GRE. NAT really only can deal with PROTOCOLS 1(icmp), 6(tcp),17(UDP)

The router needs to have special features to be able to deal with pptp. The best VPN to run is SSL on port 443 or tunnel it through SSH on port 22. Openvpn is a free software that supports both