Death to the Gaming Industry!

Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>Very interesting article about how the gaming industry is choking the life
>out of itself. I can see some flaws in his arguments but it's still an
>excellent read.
>
>http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3

Well... It's a bit amusing to have an article which decries emphasis
on surface on such a glitzy site. I've also heard talk like "In other
words: There is no room in this industry for niche product. There is
no room for creativity or quirky vision. It's hit big, or don't try.",
almost verbatim, in the music industry.

Fact of the matter is that the hits will always be biggest - it's that
way in music, in movies, and in books - but once the market is big
enough, there'll be room for 'indie'.

Arguably there already is.

Although cutting out publishers is, IMO, a good idea. If one can pull
it off.

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Very interesting article about how the gaming industry is choking the
>>life out of itself. I can see some flaws in his arguments but it's
>>still an excellent read.
>>
>>http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3
>
> Well... It's a bit amusing to have an article which decries emphasis
> on surface on such a glitzy site. I've also heard talk like "In other
> words: There is no room in this industry for niche product. There is
> no room for creativity or quirky vision. It's hit big, or don't try.",
> almost verbatim, in the music industry.
>
> Fact of the matter is that the hits will always be biggest - it's that
> way in music, in movies, and in books - but once the market is big
> enough, there'll be room for 'indie'.
>
> Arguably there already is.
>
> Although cutting out publishers is, IMO, a good idea. If one can pull
> it off.

Music has an advantage that it doesn't cost millions to produce a record.
So indies can exist and can stand up directly against the "industry".

Movies, though, you do have a point there. The problem is, however, that
there is no exact equivalent to the indie movie industry in the game
business. Everything is sold in the same market. With films you have indie
film theaters that specialize in indie films. You also have "direct to
video" markets.

The advantage that indie game developers have is an expanding direct-to-
customer delivery system, and Steam and its eventual clones are exactly the
right way for indie developers to make money selling to niche markets
and/or taking risks on "creative" games. The problem is, this is only for
PC games, and ignores the millions of installed console base. If only the
big players can make games for consoles, the vast majority of gamers aren't
getting those "niche" games on their platform.

I read something recently but I don't think it was a very reliable source,
but they said that Xbox Live for the 360 is supposed to have a
micropayments system so that a mod-developer could put out a product and
get paid for it through the Live system. If that is true, and if you don't
have to go through a lot of hoopla to get your mod out there, that could
really be an opportunity for indie developers to cater to the console
market. However, you're still confined to making "enhancements" to existing
product in existing genres.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>You say they sell anyway, but is that a good thing?

For the industry? Definately.

>If the only triple-A titles we get offered are Franchise Sequel 4, we have
>to buy something, right? Either that or give up gaming.

Sure. But as things stand today, both you and I have backlog of games to
play, so the industry is meeting our needs. Maybe one day that won't be
true for either of us, but if the majority of gamers becomes uninterested
in buying Franchise Sequel 4, companies will try to find something that
will interest them.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Quaestor wrote:
<snip>
> So, until I get rich, all those ideas and designs are going to be
> nothing but that, ideas. And the market for PC games will continue to
> deteriorate as the suits dominate it. I've got a feeling I have
> already bought my last performance PC, since it doesn't look like
> there is going to be anything to run on them anymore, the current
> raft of games in development (some of which I beta) being nothing but
> whizbang-graphics-trash.
>
> And we started out with such potential, 30 long years ago. :(

Ah, don't get so down--the market for innovational, thoughful games was
around 20-30 years ago, and it's still around today, and probably even a lot
bigger. And I'm convinced that where there's a market, someone will make
products for it and find a way to get it to them, which is why I'm not too
downhearted at what's mostly found on the shelves of the EB's of the world
nowadays. :)
--
chainbreaker

Knight37 wrote:
> Very interesting article about how the gaming industry is choking the life
> out of itself. I can see some flaws in his arguments but it's still an
> excellent read.
>
> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3

I wouldn't worry about the industry. It may have an anti-innovation
attitude with some people, but it will also do what is necessary to
survive, and if that forces normally "safe" companies to take risks and
try different things, then that's what you'll see.

GFree <neon@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> I wouldn't worry about the industry. It may have an anti-innovation
> attitude with some people, but it will also do what is necessary to
> survive, and if that forces normally "safe" companies to take risks and
> try different things, then that's what you'll see.

That's the whole point though, the situation is actually encouraging
companies not to take risks, not to try different things. Publishers are so
adverse to new ideas that even a blockbuster idea like The Sims took years
of rejection before it was finally grudgingly given the green light.
Imagine how many developers just don't even bother trying truely NEW things
and instead attempt to just make another FPS with maybe 1 or 2 new ideas
(or none).

Even games that get touted as truely unique, like Psychonauts, a) don't
sell that well, and b) are still more or less confined to a genre, in this
case, platformer action game.

Katamari Damacy is probably the most unique game I've seen in recent years,
but if you look at it, the graphics couldn't have taken that long to
develop because they are so simplistic. It's like even when they had this
great idea for a game, they cut corners on graphics so that they could
produce the game cheap. In case it tanked.

Now, can you imagine a game with Killzone 2 or Gears of War graphics but
with totally new and unique gameplay? I doubt we'll ever happen again.

What's also annoying is that every new console generation we get the same
old games rehashed again except with better graphics. Sometimes LITERALLY
the same game. But other times, just a clone. I mean, really, do we really
think that Dead or Alive 4 is going to innovate gameplay? Or that Quake 4
is going to innovate gameplay? Or Project Gotham Racing 3? Notice how all
of these games are sequels of sequels of sequels.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

GFree <neon@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:
> I wouldn't worry about the industry. It may have an anti-innovation
> attitude with some people, but it will also do what is necessary to
> survive, and if that forces normally "safe" companies to take risks and
> try different things, then that's what you'll see.

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>That's the whole point though, the situation is actually encouraging
>companies not to take risks, not to try different things.

But that won't and can't cause the death of the gaming industry. Given a
choice between becoming innovative or dying, companies will choose to
innovate. Companies foolish enough not to innovate will die and make
room any number of eager wannabes. Games get more and more expensive
to produce because game companies are in competition with each other.

It's important to remember that when companies spend more and more money
to improve the graphics, sound or whatever of their games, they are hoping
to create games that can compete better in marketplace then those of
their competitors. If it wasn't helping them be competitive, then they
wouldn't be doing it. If increasing innovativeness was what necessary
to increase the appeal of their games then they'd be doing that instead.

The reality isn't an either/or situation. In order to compete
companies need to improve the technical quality (eg better graphics)
while maintaining certain level of innovation. Even Electronic Arts
with it's NFL monopoly couldn't get away with just updating rosters and
changing a 5 to 6 when it released Madden 2006.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
db //

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

It all reaches equilibrium. Eventually people will stop buying me-too
games that resemble stuff they have played before, and they will demand a
certain level of innovation. What I worry more about is the wholesale
slaughter of genres like the turn-based wargame, space simulators, and the
adventure game. People just aren't getting much contact with these game
genres, and I don't see them easily working their way back into the industry
forefront.

Knight37 wrote:

>Even games that get touted as truely unique, like Psychonauts, a) don't
>sell that well, and b) are still more or less confined to a genre,

This is one of the problems, the idea that every game has the potential,
and therefore MUST, be another UO, with millions of units sold.

Well, actually that's two problems.

The first is the idea of units sold (as the original article pointed
out). For years I kept trying to convince Origins (creators of UO) that
what they had was a Service. But EA made them stick to the idea that
they were in a packaged-sales business, that holding onto monthly fees
from satisfied customers was not as important as selling more boxes
(though their profit from boxes what probably about equal to only one
month's fee anyway). I totally failed to convince them of any such thing.

But the second problem, that a game has to have "something for
everyone," is just as big a killer. There is nothing wrong with a
genre. I am a SF writer, and I readily accept that my novels are not
going to sell millions of copies (unless I get a hit movie deal). Right
now I am engaged in a search for a new game, something in the fantasy
midieval mmorpg line, with factional pvp (wars). The only game I found
that made a clear statement that it would stick to exactly that was
Dragon Empires, which died soon after going into early beta. Dark &
Light is done by french guys (apparently the language is their excuse
for not communicating with their mostly english-speaking fans), and they
occasionally drop hints that they will not have 2 factions, but 2 plus
"neutrals," pk, and will not respond to demands for clarification. No
telling whether they are going to give what I want. Darkfall makes the
same claim as everyone else, that "pk will have a tough time," but we
have heard this before and it never worked out that way.

It's not about there being pk (I kicked a lot of pk butt in UO for over
5 years, and would expect to do more, if needed), it's what they do to
make pk successful, by eliminating from the game what it is that should
make it a factional pvp (war) game, the factional restrictions (so you
know who can attack you and who can't). Where will I ever find the game
I want to play?

microsoft stabs the industry in the back two ways: by doing all these
same things as a distributor, and by paying developers to hard-code a
requirement into their games for a certain operating system (BF2
requires XP, though rumor has it it can be tricked into playing on
win2k). I will not have XP on any system of mine, it being so
completely ridden through with ratware that I have no confidence of
being able to stop it all. I run win2k, and am considering "linspire"
and other linux emulators for when this no longer suffices. It may well
be that billgates alone will kill the PC game, all because there is some
part of the computer world that he feels he doesn't yet control.

>do we really
>think that Dead or Alive 4 is going to innovate gameplay? Or that Quake 4
>is going to innovate gameplay? Or Project Gotham Racing 3? Notice how all
>of these games are sequels of sequels of sequels.

That is "Branding," the practice of trying to scrape more bux from an
existing name. More importantly, these rehashes are just rehashes.
Nothing new in the way of function. Players are partly at fault,
demanding certain standards (in mmorpg a vocal minority always manage to
get things included like stealth, pvp stealing, pking, bards, rogues,
everything that flies in the face of what the majority of players
want). In the case of Quake, I played for years, was one of the top
sought-after clan players, but I will never play another id game because
of their policy of killing last year's game to promote this year's game
by releasing source code so as to enable cheaters to have a field day
pissing everyone off on established servers. In that case the
"creative" company killed themselves as far as I'm concerned.

So I went on to Tribes, again climbed the ladder of respectability
(sought by the top clans), and quit for another reason, because I didn't
care for the shittalk and nasty behavior that my own "teammates" kept
dumping on everyone (when you get to a certain age that stuff gets old
too?). At least in mmorpg, if you get tired of the shittalkers, there
IS something else to do.

I have, for some years, thought it would take some $10-12 million to
develop a first-class mmorpg (the big stick of games for some time) and
launch it (the article agrees with this). But it could be done for
less, with enough knowhow. If I could interest investors, who knows?
If anyone really dedicated and willing to stand up to the suits could
bring a really good design to market they could once again be the new
killer ap that would justify people spending money on machines,
connections, and the games. I do not know if this is ever going to happen.

And now I look at this hot new machine and wonder, what did I spend all
that money for? This winter I am gearing up for another round of P&P
roleplaying. I have not had a 20-sided die in my hand for 15 years, and
yet that is what I'm going back to. The promise of the computer has failed.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi

KAOS

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 04:53:33 +0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) dared speak in front of ME:

>It's important to remember that when companies spend more and more money
>to improve the graphics, sound or whatever of their games, they are hoping
>to create games that can compete better in marketplace then those of
>their competitors. If it wasn't helping them be competitive, then they
>wouldn't be doing it.

In other words, *WE* are killing the quality of the games - by
accepting rehashed, derivative content with better Glitz instead of
deamanding improved content.

>If increasing innovativeness was what necessary
>to increase the appeal of their games then they'd be doing that instead.

Ashley Simpson and Lindsey Lohan are proof of both the truth and the
despair of your argument.

--
The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
the conservative adopts them.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Quaestor <no-spam@my.place> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>Knight37 wrote:
<snip>
>>do we really
>>think that Dead or Alive 4 is going to innovate gameplay? Or that Quake 4
>>is going to innovate gameplay? Or Project Gotham Racing 3? Notice how all
>>of these games are sequels of sequels of sequels.
>>

>That is "Branding," the practice of trying to scrape more bux from an
>existing name.

I would say it's not quite this, but a recognition that people WILL buy
sequels if they liked the original, and to a great extent, they'll do it
automatically, assuming that what they liked originally will be there
again.
<cue that "review" of Tomb Raider: AoD from someone who not only didn't
have it, hadn't even seen it, but just _knew_ it was a 5 star game.>

Unfortunately this does tend to have the unfortunate effect that corners
get cut and quality suffers in a product they KNOW they're liable to
sell well based only on it being a sequel and not it's own merits.

Xocyll

chainbreaker wrote:

>Quaestor wrote:
><snip>
>

>>So, until I get rich, all those ideas and designs are going to be
>>nothing but that, ideas. And the market for PC games will continue to
>>deteriorate as the suits dominate it. I've got a feeling I have
>>already bought my last performance PC, since it doesn't look like
>>there is going to be anything to run on them anymore, the current
>>raft of games in development (some of which I beta) being nothing but
>>whizbang-graphics-trash.
>>
>>And we started out with such potential, 30 long years ago. :(
>>

>Ah, don't get so down--the market for innovational, thoughful games was
>around 20-30 years ago, and it's still around today, and probably even a lot
>bigger. And I'm convinced that where there's a market, someone will make
>products for it and find a way to get it to them, which is why I'm not too
>downhearted at what's mostly found on the shelves of the EB's of the world
>nowadays. :)

OK. :)

--
Godwin is a net-nazi

chainbreaker wrote:

>And he seems to completely ignore direct internet game sales by indie devs,
>a very nice little ace in the hole that takes those guys he says is
>strangling the industry completely out of the equation.

What all games have been distributed entirely or primarily by DL? How
much money have they made?

I know, Dragon Empires was talking about OL distribution. That is dead.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi

Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote:
>In other words, *WE* are killing the quality of the games - by
>accepting rehashed, derivative content with better Glitz instead of
>deamanding improved content.

Well, that's one way to look at it, if you think current games don't
have enough improved content. However, I'd disagree. Most games are
evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but most, especially the big
budget games, do try innovate in order to stay competive. Dungeon Siege
2 isn't just Dungeon Siege 1 with better graphics.

Ross Ridge

--

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in

> Very interesting article about how the gaming industry is choking the
> life out of itself. I can see some flaws in his arguments but it's
> still an excellent read.
>
> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/3

I found the following article about shareware games more interesting. If
the big producers lack innovation, that's where the new ideas will come
from.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/14
What we need is a better grapewine so that everyone who would be interested
in buying one of these will find out it exists.

nostromo

Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com>, Sat, 03 Sep 2005 03:00:10 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>Katamari Damacy is probably the most unique game I've seen in recent years,

Shame it's PS2 only & will be lost on 99% of the crowd playing on that
platform. Sometimes devs' decision just boggle the mind...hang on - just had
a look at the screenies - maybe it is well targeted at its audience after
all ;-p

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Why does there have to be so many new games?

I think the issue partly depends on whether you consider games to be
like movies with little replay value. Most of the games I enjoy have
great replay value. In the conventional sense of the word "game", a
game is something that you don't just play for a while, put down,
and by another. I suppose maybe that has something to do with the
particular gamer's upbringing.

Why would you not expect, for example, a football simulation game
and its sequels/add-ons to continue under the same title for many
years?

Quaestor <no-spam@my.place> once tried to test me with:

> And now I look at this hot new machine and wonder, what did I spend
> all that money for? This winter I am gearing up for another round of
> P&P roleplaying. I have not had a 20-sided die in my hand for 15
> years, and yet that is what I'm going back to. The promise of the
> computer has failed.

RPGs is in the same boat as CRPGS. New and Improved D&D 3.5!! ShadowRun 4!!
It's the same situation. Brand names, minor upgrades, not real innovation.
But at least a good DM can cut through all that bullshit and deliver a
fantastic experience regardless of the rules.

In article <Xns96C69033CAACBknight37m@130.133.1.4>,
Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
> RPGs is in the same boat as CRPGS. New and Improved D&D 3.5!! ShadowRun 4!!
> It's the same situation. Brand names, minor upgrades, not real innovation.
> But at least a good DM can cut through all that bullshit and deliver a
> fantastic experience regardless of the rules.

The indie RPG scene, however, is alive and well. Games like Dogs in the
Vineyard, Sorcerer, and My Life With Master definitely qualify as real
innovation.

- Damien

Knight37 wrote:

>Quaestor <no-spam@my.place> once tried to test me with:
>

>>And now I look at this hot new machine and wonder, what did I spend
>>all that money for? This winter I am gearing up for another round of
>>P&P roleplaying. I have not had a 20-sided die in my hand for 15
>>years, and yet that is what I'm going back to. The promise of the
>>computer has failed.
>>

>RPGs is in the same boat as CRPGS. New and Improved D&D 3.5!! ShadowRun 4!!
>It's the same situation. Brand names, minor upgrades, not real innovation.
>But at least a good DM can cut through all that bullshit and deliver a
>fantastic experience regardless of the rules.

The players of my NWN weekly say the same thing.
http://quaestor-universe.org/Outlands-description.htm And yet I cannot
help but realize I could run so much better a game with P&P, dice, and a
lot of good verbal storytelling.

Maybe I'm too picky?

--
Godwin is a net-nazi

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> once tried to test me with:

> And he seems to completely ignore direct internet game sales by indie
> devs, a very nice little ace in the hole that takes those guys he says
> is strangling the industry completely out of the equation.

His article is console-centric. There's no direct internet sales to the
100+ million console owners. Basically, the PC indie devs are such a tiny
fraction of the market it's negligible on the scale he's using.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> once tried to test me with:
>> And he seems to completely ignore direct internet game sales by indie
>> devs, a very nice little ace in the hole that takes those guys he says
>> is strangling the industry completely out of the equation.
>His article is console-centric. There's no direct internet sales to the
>100+ million console owners. Basically, the PC indie devs are such a tiny
>fraction of the market it's negligible on the scale he's using.

With XBox Live Arcade, there are direct net sales to console users.

The night before last I bought "Bookworm" for a $10 download. (It's by
Popcap Games, www.popcap.com, who also offer Bookworm as a free web
game and a $20 PC download). And I'm number 12 on the worldwide
highscore table! It's the eighth small indie game I've bought so far
for my xbox.

--
Lucian

"Lucian Wischik" <lu.nn@wischik.com> wrote in message
> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>>"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> once tried to test me with:
>>> And he seems to completely ignore direct internet game sales by indie
>>> devs, a very nice little ace in the hole that takes those guys he says
>>> is strangling the industry completely out of the equation.
>>His article is console-centric. There's no direct internet sales to the
>>100+ million console owners. Basically, the PC indie devs are such a tiny
>>fraction of the market it's negligible on the scale he's using.
>
> With XBox Live Arcade, there are direct net sales to console users.

Somewhat under 10% of Xbox owners have Xbox Live (I believe there are 2
million Live users, and about 22-23 million Xboxs). 2 million is probably
not a real big market

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Thomas Palm <Thomas.Palm@chello.removethis.se> once tried to test me
with:

> I found the following article about shareware games more interesting.
> If the big producers lack innovation, that's where the new ideas will
> come from.
> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8/14
> What we need is a better grapewine so that everyone who would be
> interested in buying one of these will find out it exists.

I've played some of those games and they are okay as mild diversions but
lack the real meat that most commercial games i'm into provide. The only
company I know of that consistantly makes the kinds of games I like on a
shareware budget is Spiderweb Software.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.