Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DEMO - Starship Troopers released

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:04:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

new Starship Troopers FPS game DEMO released

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/starshiptroopers2/downloa...

game site
http://www.starshiptroopersgame.com/

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:43:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

Johnny Bravo wrote:

> There was already a game based on this mediocre movie.

starship troopers is a PERFECT concept for a FPS so i find
it a great idea doing a it now

unfortunately i haven't played the demo yet cause its too
big to download for me so i have to wait to get it from a
friend but i do hope its a good game cause we are in very
need for good FPSs...
since the beginning of the year the releases haven't been
that impressive
nevertheless and regardless of the demo i'll buy this game

i'm not a huge fan of the original starship troopers movie
but it is ok, now the sequel was HORRIBLE
but what i'm absolutely crazy about is the computer animated
series done some years ago called "roughnecks" which is so
fabulous a really masterpiece
a FPS with the visuals and graphics of "roughnecks" would be
the best ever game created

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Related resources
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:12:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 2 Sep 2005 23:04:49 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>game site
>http://www.starshiptroopersgame.com/

With blurbs by that well known game reviewer Casper Van Dien.
ROTFLMAO.

There was already a game based on this mediocre movie. We hardly
need a mediocre FPS based on a movie nearly a decade old.

(I'm going by the demo, which had average graphics, stuck to the
movie pretty much, horrible voice acting, repetitive gameplay, a
complete lack of any kind of players controlled squad AI which would
seem to be mandatory for a military shooter these days, and a complete
lack of AI soldier AI, they just stand in place and shoot.).
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:01:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Johnny Bravo wrote:

> There was already a game based on this mediocre movie. We hardly
> need a mediocre FPS based on a movie nearly a decade old.

The last Starship Troopers game and the upcoming one are based on the book,
not the movie.
September 4, 2005 1:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2nhkh19ttpa88a38tcrmvgffg8camtitu0@4ax.com...
> On 2 Sep 2005 23:04:49 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>game site
>>http://www.starshiptroopersgame.com/
>
> With blurbs by that well known game reviewer Casper Van Dien.
> ROTFLMAO.
>
> There was already a game based on this mediocre movie. We hardly
> need a mediocre FPS based on a movie nearly a decade old.

This does sound like a cool concept for an FPS. I'm downloading it at the
moment. Hopefully, I'll get to play it sometime this week.

turk
--
My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the smoke and
choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the "National Day of
Prayer," when prelates and pastors did their tremulous Martin Luther King
impersonations and urged people of mutually incompatible faiths to hold
hands, united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the
first place.
-- Richard Dawkins, The Devil's Chaplain (2004)
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> unfortunately i haven't played the demo yet cause its too
> big to download for me so i have to wait to get it from a
> friend

Better get searching for a friend, then.
September 4, 2005 7:47:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:01:08 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>The last Starship Troopers game and the upcoming one are based on the book,
>not the movie.

You haven't played the demo have you.

It is just like the film, which is bad for me as it was one of the
worst films ever IMO.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:47:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Andrew wrote:

> You haven't played the demo have you.

No, I thought I read a preview that said it was based on the book. Why would
they base a game on an 8-year-old movie?
*Looks at Fight Club game*

> It is just like the film, which is bad for me as it was one of the
> worst films ever IMO.

Hm, I love the movie.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:29:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:12:02 GMT, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

> With blurbs by that well known game reviewer Casper Van Dien.
>ROTFLMAO.
>
> There was already a game based on this mediocre movie. We hardly
>need a mediocre FPS based on a movie nearly a decade old.
>
> (I'm going by the demo, which had average graphics, stuck to the
>movie pretty much, horrible voice acting, repetitive gameplay, a
>complete lack of any kind of players controlled squad AI which would
>seem to be mandatory for a military shooter these days, and a complete
>lack of AI soldier AI, they just stand in place and shoot.).

Does it take about 150 rounds of ammo to kill every enemy, like the
silly ass movie?

Lets invade a planet and bring .22 pea shooters to attack!
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 12:30:39 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>
>> It is just like the film, which is bad for me as it was one of the
>> worst films ever IMO.
>
>Hm, I love the movie.
>

If you're a masochist, the movie has a sequel.
---------------------------------------------
Thanks.


MCheu
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Andrew wrote:

> You haven't played the demo have you.

Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up the
camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and kept
jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for this game.
Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship Trooper fan.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:47:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

MCheu wrote:

> If you're a masochist, the movie has a sequel.

I see it playing on Starz all the time, yet I have never watched more than
15 minutes of it.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:53:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ypadnZ2dnZ2BeGKcnZ2dnUdjh96dnZ2dRVn-0J2dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Johnny Bravo wrote:
>
>> There was already a game based on this mediocre movie. We hardly
>> need a mediocre FPS based on a movie nearly a decade old.
>
> The last Starship Troopers game and the upcoming one are based on the
> book, not the movie.
>
Wasn't the squad-based RTS game (with no in-game save) released a few years
back, based on the flick...right down to the box art? I do have some vague
memory of different types of armor in the game, but could be mistaken.
IMHO, the game that came closest to the book was "Terra Nova"....which some
of us still fondly remember.
September 5, 2005 1:30:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:29:13 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does it take about 150 rounds of ammo to kill every enemy, like the
>silly ass movie?

Yup :-(
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:29:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:46:34 -0600, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>
>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>
>Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up the
>camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and kept
>jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for this game.
>Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship Trooper fan.

I'd shell out $50 for a decent ST FPS based on the book. Nothing
like having some REAL weapons around in the future. :) 
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:33:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:39:03 -0400, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>If you're a masochist, the movie has a sequel.

Different director, much smaller budget etc. It is like comparing
Terminator 3 to Terminator 2 or 1. Poor sequel does not make the
original bad.

ST movie appeared before 9/11, yet it depicted so well in every level
how America acts in such a crisis situation.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:37:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:29:13 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does it take about 150 rounds of ammo to kill every enemy, like the
>silly ass movie?

Depends which weapon you use. If you use the basic weapon with
unlimited ammo, yes it can take ages to shoot even one enemy down,
even though I noticed that sometimes they did go down quickly
depending where you shot even with the basic weapon.

If you use e.g. shotgun in close encounters, it takes only a few shots
to bring down a bug.
September 5, 2005 1:05:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 2005-09-05, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:29:13 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Does it take about 150 rounds of ammo to kill every enemy, like the
>>silly ass movie?
>
> Depends which weapon you use. If you use the basic weapon with
> unlimited ammo, yes it can take ages to shoot even one enemy down,
> even though I noticed that sometimes they did go down quickly
> depending where you shot even with the basic weapon.

Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem and put it down for good. :) 

--
Toby.
Add the word afiduluminag to the subject
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:51:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:33:26 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:39:03 -0400, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>If you're a masochist, the movie has a sequel.
>
>Different director, much smaller budget etc. It is like comparing
>Terminator 3 to Terminator 2 or 1. Poor sequel does not make the
>original bad.

Compared to the book, the movies are utter drek. The original
proposal wasn't even connected to ST, that was added later and other
than a few bits of eye candy and a bit of a rewrite to satirize the
book, there isn't really much to connect them.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>
> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up the
> camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and kept
> jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for this
> game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship Trooper
> fan.
>
>

Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well .. 'runs'
isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full speed and
good, camera responds to the mouse just fine. Characters/action/shooting is
like molasses.
Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP Pro
SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
McG.
September 5, 2005 5:33:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>> Andrew wrote:
>>
>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>
>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up the
>> camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and kept
>> jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for this
>> game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship
>> Trooper fan.
>>
>>
>
> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full
> speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP Pro
> SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
> McG.
>

'Glad' to hear that - thought it was my PC....
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:33:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1125923341.47182.0@demeter.uk.clara.net...
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>
>> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>>> Andrew wrote:
>>>
>>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>>
>>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up
>>> the camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and
>>> kept jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for
>>> this game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship
>>> Trooper fan.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
>> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full
>> speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
>> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
>> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP
>> Pro SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
>> McG.
>>
>
> 'Glad' to hear that - thought it was my PC....
>
>
>
So what are your rigs specs? If a 64 bit cpu, that could be it... that
engine could have some problems with them.
McG.
September 5, 2005 6:10:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p %WSe.224612$0f.117500@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
> news:1125923341.47182.0@demeter.uk.clara.net...
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>>
>>> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>>>> Andrew wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>>>
>>>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up
>>>> the camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish
>>>> and kept jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link
>>>> for this game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a
>>>> Starship Trooper fan.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
>>> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full
>>> speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
>>> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
>>> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP
>>> Pro SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
>>> McG.
>>
>> 'Glad' to hear that - thought it was my PC....
>>
> So what are your rigs specs? If a 64 bit cpu, that could be it... that
> engine could have some problems with them.
> McG.

Nah - 'just' an AMD XP2800 Barton here. Graphics, sounds etc are great -
movement/camera like through molasses - tried first part of demo and didn't
want to try the rest. Not on my buy list currently unless someone comes up
with a tweak so I can see how the game should be.

Rest of specs are NF7-S(2), 1.5GB PC3200 (running dual), 9800Pro, Audigy 2
ZS
September 5, 2005 7:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>> Andrew wrote:
>>
>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>
>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up the
>> camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and kept
>> jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for this
>> game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship
>> Trooper fan.
>>
>>
>
> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full
> speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP Pro
> SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
> McG.

I can't even get it to run. Gets to the point where it loads the level,
presents the Objects, then has a "Start mission" button towards the bottom
right. When I click that, it just freezes up.

AMD FX-53, ATI 800XT-PE, 2GB ram.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:14:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

The only thing I liked about this demo was that Nvdia ad with the bugs
before the game boots up. But then it doesn't take much to entertain me!


"Toby" <google@asktoby.com> wrote in message
news:slrndhnv2j.4iu.google@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de...
> On 2005-09-05, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:29:13 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Does it take about 150 rounds of ammo to kill every enemy, like the
>>>silly ass movie?
>>
>> Depends which weapon you use. If you use the basic weapon with
>> unlimited ammo, yes it can take ages to shoot even one enemy down,
>> even though I noticed that sometimes they did go down quickly
>> depending where you shot even with the basic weapon.
>
> Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem and put it down for good. :) 
>
> --
> Toby.
> Add the word afiduluminag to the subject
> field to circumvent my email filters.
> Ignore any mail delivery error.
September 5, 2005 7:25:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p 86dnSniPanfCoHeRVn-3Q@giganews.com...

> I can't even get it to run. Gets to the point where it loads the level,
> presents the Objects, then has a "Start mission" button towards the bottom

Doh! "Objectives", not Objects.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:33:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1125925517.9391.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net...
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p %WSe.224612$0f.117500@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>> news:1125923341.47182.0@demeter.uk.clara.net...
>>>
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>>>
>>>> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>>>>> Andrew wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>>>>
>>>>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up
>>>>> the camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish
>>>>> and kept jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link
>>>>> for this game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a
>>>>> Starship Trooper fan.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
>>>> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is
>>>> full speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
>>>> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
>>>> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP
>>>> Pro SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
>>>> McG.
>>>
>>> 'Glad' to hear that - thought it was my PC....
>>>
>> So what are your rigs specs? If a 64 bit cpu, that could be it... that
>> engine could have some problems with them.
>> McG.
>
> Nah - 'just' an AMD XP2800 Barton here. Graphics, sounds etc are great -
> movement/camera like through molasses - tried first part of demo and
> didn't want to try the rest. Not on my buy list currently unless someone
> comes up with a tweak so I can see how the game should be.
>
> Rest of specs are NF7-S(2), 1.5GB PC3200 (running dual), 9800Pro, Audigy 2
> ZS
>
>
>

The only thing i see about 'low framerate' is to do with sound issues. I am
using the onboard soundchip and you an Audigy2 ZS. Well, I'll play with
that part and see what happens.
McG.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:40:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1125925517.9391.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net...
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p %WSe.224612$0f.117500@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>> news:1125923341.47182.0@demeter.uk.clara.net...
>>>
>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>>>
>>>> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>>>>> Andrew wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>>>>
>>>>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up
>>>>> the camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish
>>>>> and kept jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link
>>>>> for this game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a
>>>>> Starship Trooper fan.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
>>>> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is
>>>> full speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
>>>> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
>>>> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP
>>>> Pro SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
>>>> McG.
>>>
>>> 'Glad' to hear that - thought it was my PC....
>>>
>> So what are your rigs specs? If a 64 bit cpu, that could be it... that
>> engine could have some problems with them.
>> McG.
>
> Nah - 'just' an AMD XP2800 Barton here. Graphics, sounds etc are great -
> movement/camera like through molasses - tried first part of demo and
> didn't want to try the rest. Not on my buy list currently unless someone
> comes up with a tweak so I can see how the game should be.
>
> Rest of specs are NF7-S(2), 1.5GB PC3200 (running dual), 9800Pro, Audigy 2
> ZS
>
>
>

sound was already set to low, so I set it to high :)  It ran better. Still
need to fiddle with the settings. This one feels like a 3D arcade shooter.
McG.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:20:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p 86dnSniPanfCoHeRVn-3Q@giganews.com...
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:J2WSe.224027$0f.88083@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>
>> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:y72dnTLYu9wPGobeRVn-iw@comcast.com...
>>> Andrew wrote:
>>>
>>>> You haven't played the demo have you.
>>>
>>> Just download it and played it. Yuck. How did they manage to screw up
>>> the camera on an FPS game. Everytime I moved the camera was sluggish and
>>> kept jerking around. Thank steamkiller for providing the demo link for
>>> this game. Now I know to avoid buying it. I might have being a Starship
>>> Trooper fan.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well ..
>> 'runs' isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full
>> speed and good, camera responds to the mouse just fine.
>> Characters/action/shooting is like molasses.
>> Running it on an X2 4800+ 2 gigs PC3200 in dual channel and 6800GT, XP
>> Pro SP2. I got the rig, but the game doesn't seem to believe it.
>> McG.
>
> I can't even get it to run. Gets to the point where it loads the level,
> presents the Objects, then has a "Start mission" button towards the bottom
> right. When I click that, it just freezes up.
>
> AMD FX-53, ATI 800XT-PE, 2GB ram.
>
>
could be sound settings/drivers, could be video. setting my sound from low
to high in the game options menu made it go faster.
McG.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:18:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:14:41 -0700, "bunboy" <bunboy@cox.net> wrote:

>The only thing I liked about this demo was that Nvdia ad with the bugs
>before the game boots up. But then it doesn't take much to entertain me!

Yet the game didn't entertain you as much as the ad, that's saying a
lot. :) 
September 6, 2005 9:52:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:14:41 -0700, "bunboy" <bunboy@cox.net> wrote:

>The only thing I liked about this demo was that Nvdia ad with the bugs
>before the game boots up. But then it doesn't take much to entertain me!

That was by far the best bit of the demo :-)
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:29:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

DocScorpio wrote:
> I originally read ST when it was first published and didn't much like it.

Wow, the book was published in 1959.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:44:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:51:38 GMT, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:33:26 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:39:03 -0400, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>If you're a masochist, the movie has a sequel.
>>
>>Different director, much smaller budget etc. It is like comparing
>>Terminator 3 to Terminator 2 or 1. Poor sequel does not make the
>>original bad.
>
> Compared to the book, the movies are utter drek. The original
>proposal wasn't even connected to ST, that was added later and other
>than a few bits of eye candy and a bit of a rewrite to satirize the
>book, there isn't really much to connect them.

Who cares? I rate the movie based on its own merits, not how closely
it follows a book. Satirizing the world (described in the book, or the
world we are living in) was one of the best parts of the ST movie. If
it didn't have that, then it probably would have been as painful to
watch as the ST movie sequel.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:47:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:34:01 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Ive downloaded, installed and TRIED to play the Demo. It .. well .. 'runs'
>isn't the proper word. It crawls, in slow motion. sound is full speed and
>good, camera responds to the mouse just fine. Characters/action/shooting is
>like molasses.

On my machine (AMD XP 1.8GHz (2000+) with 768Mb RAM and 256Mb ATI
Radeon x800 Pro) it ran quite smoothly on 1280x1024 resolution and
everything maxxed _except_ the shadows, which I turned off. With
shadows turned on, the game ran quite slowly and also the mouse didn't
respond fast.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:49:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:10:27 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:


>Nah - 'just' an AMD XP2800 Barton here. Graphics, sounds etc are great -
>movement/camera like through molasses - tried first part of demo and didn't
>want to try the rest. Not on my buy list currently unless someone comes up
>with a tweak so I can see how the game should be.

Try disabling the shadows. On my machine (AMD XP 2000+) it meant a lot
to the performance, everything else could be maxxed out.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:52:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:05:39 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-09-05, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:29:13 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Does it take about 150 rounds of ammo to kill every enemy, like the
>>>silly ass movie?
>>
>> Depends which weapon you use. If you use the basic weapon with
>> unlimited ammo, yes it can take ages to shoot even one enemy down,
>> even though I noticed that sometimes they did go down quickly
>> depending where you shot even with the basic weapon.
>
>Here's a tip: Aim for the nerve stem and put it down for good. :) 

Yes, seeing the movie I thought that would be the ticket, the only
problem is I can't really tell where the "nerve stem" is. ;)  I presume
it is somewhere where the head of the bug connects to the rest of its
body, that's where I recall the ST movie scientist shot the bug when
demonstrating its weakness.
September 6, 2005 2:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:aleqh1h5ujrcsif88rkde956cnd5pl8ni6@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:10:27 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
>
>>Nah - 'just' an AMD XP2800 Barton here. Graphics, sounds etc are great -
>>movement/camera like through molasses - tried first part of demo and
>>didn't
>>want to try the rest. Not on my buy list currently unless someone comes
>>up
>>with a tweak so I can see how the game should be.
>
> Try disabling the shadows. On my machine (AMD XP 2000+) it meant a lot
> to the performance, everything else could be maxxed out.
>

Tried that and it did improve thanks. Also put 'up' sound quality as per
McG and that also improved it (wierd). Camera still has an element of
'floating' though. That seems to be in the game and not something I can
change.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly riku <riku@none.invalid.com> Spake Unto All:

>it follows a book. Satirizing the world (described in the book, or the
>world we are living in) was one of the best parts of the ST movie. If
>it didn't have that, then it probably would have been as painful to
>watch as the ST movie sequel.

Agreed. Making ST as if it was a WWII-style propaganda recruiting
movie from that future fascist world was a stroke of genius. It,
together with the sometimes frantic carnage (silly though it was -
present-day Abrams or A10 Warthogs had crushed those Arachnids with
ease) made the movie one of the best recent sci-fi's. I mean, after
that, what have there been? Star Wars?

ST2 was only the feature-length pilot for the TV-series, wasn't it?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:13:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1125997719.19372.0@echo.uk.clara.net...
>
> "riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:aleqh1h5ujrcsif88rkde956cnd5pl8ni6@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:10:27 +0100, "Shawk"
>> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Nah - 'just' an AMD XP2800 Barton here. Graphics, sounds etc are great -
>>>movement/camera like through molasses - tried first part of demo and
>>>didn't
>>>want to try the rest. Not on my buy list currently unless someone comes
>>>up
>>>with a tweak so I can see how the game should be.
>>
>> Try disabling the shadows. On my machine (AMD XP 2000+) it meant a lot
>> to the performance, everything else could be maxxed out.
>>
>
> Tried that and it did improve thanks. Also put 'up' sound quality as per
> McG and that also improved it (wierd). Camera still has an element of
> 'floating' though. That seems to be in the game and not something I can
> change.

Yeah, when I thought about that stuff while reading their readme, i figured
the shadows were the worst of it. The sound was about half and shadows the
other half. I just set them down a notch, didn't disable em. Game still
looks good and its even playable right now :) 
McG.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126013392.146831.142920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> DocScorpio wrote:
>> I originally read ST when it was first published and didn't much like it.
>
> Wow, the book was published in 1959.
>

<still laughing at that one! :)  >

I read my very first book in 1961. It was thrilling! It took me almost a
year to wade through! It was "Tarzan" by Edgar Rice Burroughs :o )))
McG.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:14:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gGnTe.42501$Nx.28633@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1126013392.146831.142920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> DocScorpio wrote:
>>> I originally read ST when it was first published and didn't much like
>>> it.
>>
>> Wow, the book was published in 1959.
>>
>
> <still laughing at that one! :)  >
>
> I read my very first book in 1961. It was thrilling! It took me almost a
> year to wade through! It was "Tarzan" by Edgar Rice Burroughs :o )))
> McG.
>
I don't recall when I read my first book (think it was "Kit Carson" in the
Beal book series), but I read my first sci-fi novel, Lester Del Rey's
(pseud. Philip St. John) "Rocket Jockey" in 1952. I was a big fan of those
Winston sci-fi novels. After I read "Rocket Jockey," there was no turning
back. Sci-fi was the only fiction I read for the next decade or so. The
sad part is that a great many of those novels had us colonizing the solar
system by the 1970's. What a joke! It's a human disgrace that we landed on
the moon nearly 40 years ago and literally have done nothing since.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <ge5oh1d59p4i1o61qphd4kma3224hf7n80@4ax.com>, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:33:26 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:39:03 -0400, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>If you're a masochist, the movie has a sequel.
> >
> >Different director, much smaller budget etc. It is like comparing
> >Terminator 3 to Terminator 2 or 1. Poor sequel does not make the
> >original bad.
>
> Compared to the book, the movies are utter drek. The original
> proposal wasn't even connected to ST, that was added later and other
> than a few bits of eye candy and a bit of a rewrite to satirize the
> book, there isn't really much to connect them.

If people liked the movie for what it was and look for to a game with
gameplay like the movie's action scenes, how does the book matter in
any way?

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 4:01:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> wrote in message
news:qppTe.17628$QN4.7781@trnddc02...
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gGnTe.42501$Nx.28633@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>
>> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1126013392.146831.142920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>
>>> DocScorpio wrote:
>>>> I originally read ST when it was first published and didn't much like
>>>> it.
>>>
>>> Wow, the book was published in 1959.
>>>
>>
>> <still laughing at that one! :)  >
>>
>> I read my very first book in 1961. It was thrilling! It took me almost
>> a year to wade through! It was "Tarzan" by Edgar Rice Burroughs :o )))
>> McG.
>>
> I don't recall when I read my first book (think it was "Kit Carson" in the
> Beal book series), but I read my first sci-fi novel, Lester Del Rey's
> (pseud. Philip St. John) "Rocket Jockey" in 1952. I was a big fan of
> those Winston sci-fi novels. After I read "Rocket Jockey," there was no
> turning back. Sci-fi was the only fiction I read for the next decade or
> so. The sad part is that a great many of those novels had us colonizing
> the solar system by the 1970's. What a joke! It's a human disgrace that
> we landed on the moon nearly 40 years ago and literally have done nothing
> since.
>
we haven't exactly 'done nothing' man! We simply didn't keep pace with the
scifi writers predictions :)  I'd be happy to see us driving cars that don't
burn stuff, like in Back To The Future!
McG.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:20:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Dan Stephenson wrote:
> In article <ge5oh1d59p4i1o61qphd4kma3224hf7n80@4ax.com>, Johnny Bravo
> <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> Compared to the book, the movies are utter drek. The original
>>proposal wasn't even connected to ST, that was added later and other
>>than a few bits of eye candy and a bit of a rewrite to satirize the
>>book, there isn't really much to connect them.
>
>
> If people liked the movie for what it was and look for to a game with
> gameplay like the movie's action scenes, how does the book matter in
> any way?
>

Are you suggesting that some people actually *liked* that movie?

<boggle!>
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 12:47:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Briarroot wrote:
> Are you suggesting that some people actually *liked* that movie?

I liked it. I loved all the sarcastic social commentary.

Crippled guy: "The Mobile Infantry is what made me the man I am today!"

Knight37
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:13:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Did you ever read any of L. Ron Hubbard's sci-fi works? I read one:
Battlefield Earth. In the forward, L. Ron. Hubbard goes on and on about what
a genius he is (inventing the sci-fi genre, etc.). The book wasn't bad, but
it didn't hold a candle to say, Isaac Asimov or Bradbury.

--
there is no .sig
"DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> wrote in message
news:qppTe.17628$QN4.7781@trnddc02...
>
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gGnTe.42501$Nx.28633@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>
>> "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1126013392.146831.142920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>
>>> DocScorpio wrote:
>>>> I originally read ST when it was first published and didn't much like
>>>> it.
>>>
>>> Wow, the book was published in 1959.
>>>
>>
>> <still laughing at that one! :)  >
>>
>> I read my very first book in 1961. It was thrilling! It took me almost
>> a year to wade through! It was "Tarzan" by Edgar Rice Burroughs :o )))
>> McG.
>>
> I don't recall when I read my first book (think it was "Kit Carson" in the
> Beal book series), but I read my first sci-fi novel, Lester Del Rey's
> (pseud. Philip St. John) "Rocket Jockey" in 1952. I was a big fan of
> those Winston sci-fi novels. After I read "Rocket Jockey," there was no
> turning back. Sci-fi was the only fiction I read for the next decade or
> so. The sad part is that a great many of those novels had us colonizing
> the solar system by the 1970's. What a joke! It's a human disgrace that
> we landed on the moon nearly 40 years ago and literally have done nothing
> since.
>
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Doug wrote:

> Did you ever read any of L. Ron Hubbard's sci-fi works? I read one:
> Battlefield Earth. In the forward, L. Ron. Hubbard goes on and on about what
> a genius he is (inventing the sci-fi genre, etc.). The book wasn't bad, but
> it didn't hold a candle to say, Isaac Asimov or Bradbury.

Might want to look for better SF and fantasy writers. I'd suggest Neal
Stephenson, Robert Silverberg, Bruce Sterling, Harlan Ellison, Harry
Harrison, Ray Bradbury, Philip Jose Farmer, the great Alfred Bester...
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:19:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

knight37 wrote:
> Briarroot wrote:
>
>>Are you suggesting that some people actually *liked* that movie?
>
>
> I liked it. I loved all the sarcastic social commentary.
>
> Crippled guy: "The Mobile Infantry is what made me the man I am today!"
>

<laughter!>

There was a good movie in there somewhere, struggling to get out.
Unfortunately it didn't!
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:24:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly "knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>
>Briarroot wrote:
>> Are you suggesting that some people actually *liked* that movie?
>
>I liked it. I loved all the sarcastic social commentary.
>
>Crippled guy: "The Mobile Infantry is what made me the man I am today!"

I think many don't get that the whole movie is a political satire,
exactly like Robocop (from the same director) and that it's *supposed*
to play like a propaganda movie from the future. The whole format
reminds me of WWII and cold war propaganda movies like John Mills'
"Ice Cold In Alex" (and, although less so, of modern propaganda movies
like 'Rules of Engagement' for that matter). It isn't supposed to
portray war realistically, it's supposed to portray war as a rousing
adventure.
!