Sign in with
Your question

Camp site wifi > Deliberant APC 2S-14 > ASUS RT-N66U

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 2, 2012 11:27:33 AM

Hello all,

First, I'm a complete, and I mean complete novice at networks - but have a meagre understanding of PC's generally.

I live (yes live) in my touring caravan and get my Internet over the site's wifi broadcast. Generally a direct link to my netbook is available, but there are places where I'm out of sight/range.

To overcome these occassions I have purchased a Deliberant APC 2S-14 antenna, ethernet cable output is routed into the caravan. I have also the ASUS RT-N66U router to broadcast the Internet wirelessly inside the caravan (once I get it!).

So far I have mounted the antenna, connected the end of the ethernet cable into my netbook's LAN socket (also done it wirelessly) and successfully logged into the web page.

I am completely phazed by it... a scan shows the site's signal (and others in the area) but I'm at a loss how to get the wifi Internet to connect to the Deliberant.

The site has provided me with an IP address...

My assumption is that once I get the Internet coming out of the the end of the Deliberant's RJ45 ethernet cable I can plug this into the ASUS input socket?

I'm sure there must be a networking guru within the community who would chuckle at the above and stick their head above the parapet?

Should anyone wish to reply, please remember the opening sentence.

Hopefully yours,

Laddie.
September 2, 2012 2:35:14 PM

Make sure you configure the Deliberant in Bridge Mode using Dynamic IP. You'll then have to select the appropriate SSID and wireless security information of the remote AP. Finally, make sure the ethernet end of the Deliberant goes into the WAN port of your ASUS router.

Only other possible complication might be if the remote AP is using the same network as your ASUS router (e.g., 192.168.1.x), in which case you’d need to change yours to something else (say 192.168.2.x), which you can do by simply changing the static LAN IP of the ASUS router to say, 192.168.2.1.
September 2, 2012 4:20:58 PM

eibgrad said:
Make sure you configure the Deliberant in Bridge Mode using Dynamic IP. You'll then have to select the appropriate SSID and wireless security information of the remote AP. Finally, make sure then ethernet end of the Deliberant goes into the WAN port of your ASUS router.

Only other possible complication might be if the remote AP is using the same network as your ASUS router (e.g., 192.168.1.x), in which case you’d need to change yours to something else (say 192.168.2.x), which you can do by simply changing the static LAN IP of the ASUS router to say, 192.168.2.1.

Good day Eibgrad,

Thank you for your courage and advice... in the Config/Network tab I have configured in Bridge Mode and Dynamic IP. The SSID of the site (remote AP?) has been put into Config/Wireless tab and Broadcast ticked. The security level of the AP is 'open'. This caused the SSID to appear on my netbook connections list, I can wirelessly connect to the Deliberant as well as via the LAN cable.

On the Deliberant's Status/Info tab I see the 'peer(s)' value change accordingly.

At this point I moved the Deliberant ethernet cable from the netbook to the WAN input of the ASUS, logged in via the wireless connection and went through the ASUS 'Quick Internet setup' procedure. I chose the 'Automatic IP (DCHP) option which eventually but sadly failed to see the Internet.

The caravan site lady provided me with an IP address from which I assume she has provided me with a fixed not dynamic option which may have contributed to the failure?

Would the Deliberant Status/Info page show a connection (peer) only when the ASUS is finally connected?

I thank you for your advice and hope you are not dis-heartened?
Best regards,
Laddie.
September 2, 2012 8:12:28 PM

If they require a static IP, and you used DHCP, then yes, that could be the problem. The wireless connection itself can be established even when TCP/IP is misconfigured since the wireless part happens at a lower level in the network stack. IOW, it will connect up your bridge and the remote AP just fine, but whether that establishes the TCP/IP connection above it is an entirely different matter. And that may require manually entering the static IP, gateway IP, DNS server(s), etc. A bit unusual that they don’t have a DHCP server, but you have deal with what they present you.
!