Sign in with
Your question

Converting part of wired network to wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 2, 2012 3:08:04 PM

ve got a Verizon FIOS router in my basement. Part of my home network is wired with 1000 base-T nics, IPs assigned through DHCP. I would like to add two computers two floors upstairs to the network wirelessly. The computers are probably about 100ft away from the router.

The computers should be able to access the other computers on the network as well as the internet just as though they were wired.

Is this possible to do? If so, what kind of equipment do I need to get the best performance? Any brands/suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: the computers upstairs are connected to each other through nic's (they used to be part of the wired network) is it possible to get a single "wifi hub/router" to connect both back into the network?
September 2, 2012 3:25:23 PM

As long as you have wired access points near those computers, and those lead back to the router, you can simply as more routers and configure them as wireless APs (no routing). Add as many as you like.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wire...

Of course, it makes sense to provide some channel separation too, w/ channels 1, 6, and 11 being ideal since they don’t overlap (although wireless APs are tolerant of other wireless AP on the same channel, they just aren’t as efficient).
m
l
Related resources
!