Can connect via-Ethernet, but not USB.

xotrog

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
So, I've had my current setup for about 2 1/2 months and everything has been fine. I've been connecting via USB to an SB5101 motorola modem, but last night around 11pm I was disconnected from everything and my computer made that sound when a USB device is connected or disconnected. I unplug it and plug it back in, but I still can't connect to anything. I go through the process of resetting the modem, unplugging everything, shutting everything down, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for the modem, etc. It registers when I plug it in, but I get a code 10 (device cannot start) when I try other drivers it says the driver isn't supported/intended for the current OS. The driver I've been using for it is 2.4.7.3 (http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21177) if that helps at all. This wouldn't be a big deal, but when I connect via-Ethernet I need to plug it into my router which basically eliminates the possibility of gaming for me as I rubberband everywhere before being disconnected, my USB doesn't do that to me as it's directly plugged in.

Specs:
(All of my drivers are up-to-date, I just made sure of that.)
Sabertooth Z77
Intel i5-2500k @3.4gHz
EVGA GTX 670
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Corsair HX750w

Apologies if I forgot anything, was too derp with my English or if I wasn't clear enough with anything.
Edit: Apologies if there's already a thread like this or if I'm in the wrong section. :D

Solution
In that case you will have to find a solution to a bad driver. So since a simple ununstall didn't do it there is probably something left over from the old driver i the system. Possibly registry entries or bad leftover files in the system. I would tell you to try a registry cleaner but those usually cause more damage then do good. But if you have one in mind that seems reliable giving it a shot might work.

Have you tried looking for a firmware update for the modem? Possibly one that is native to win7?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You could try doing a system restore to a date before this all happened, if somrthing went corrupt you may be able to get it working. If the driver is not for your os you could try installing it in compatibility mode for an older os version.
Actually I think that the best solution to your problem at this point is to replace your modem with something newer (and better). You don't have to spend a load of money there are many low cost options that will do a great job.

xotrog

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Unfortunately the earliest restore point I have is 13 hours AFTER it started happening and I'm trying to solve this without getting a new modem/router. :/

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
In that case you will have to find a solution to a bad driver. So since a simple ununstall didn't do it there is probably something left over from the old driver i the system. Possibly registry entries or bad leftover files in the system. I would tell you to try a registry cleaner but those usually cause more damage then do good. But if you have one in mind that seems reliable giving it a shot might work.

Have you tried looking for a firmware update for the modem? Possibly one that is native to win7?

Solution

xotrog

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

I managed to fix it. I went into the modem via the address they give you and disabled my USB switch, restarted, enabled and it started working again, kind of strange if you ask me. At least it's fixed, even if such a simple solution makes me look dumb. lol Thanks for your help, though. :D