Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thankyou Valve

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 5, 2005 3:43:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge scratch
on the CD. No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 

Cheers Valve, now *thats* service

More about : thankyou valve

Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:43:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

rob wrote:
> I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
> getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
> reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge scratch
> on the CD. No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
> minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>
> Cheers Valve, now *thats* service

Better hope steamKILLER doesn't notice this thread...
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:43:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:43:35 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
>getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
>reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge scratch
>on the CD.

There are tools that can fix that (e.g. GameDoctor), provided that it
doesn't penetrate the data layer. But anyway...
Related resources
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:35:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Raymond Martineau wrote:

> There are tools that can fix that (e.g. GameDoctor), provided that it
> doesn't penetrate the data layer. But anyway...

Data layer penetration is a gamers worst nightmare.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 4:39:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

rob wrote:

<snip>

i recognize steam was good for you in this specific situation
but how about the others?
do you think you are the only one buying and playing pc games?
until valve released steam neither broadband or even internet
connection was requirement to play a single player pc game but
now they are making it MANDATORY
why? is there any real reason for it?
no there isn't
internet connection is not like a good graphic card or more
memory that can improve the actual gameplay
valve made internet connection mandatory to apply a system to
give them more power and with power comes more profits

steam should always be an option not a requirement to play pc
games

valve with steam is EXCLUDING pc gamers without broadband or
internet connection
you had your life much easier cause of steam but other gamers
have their life much difficult cause of steam

other pc gamers are being EXCLUDED cause of steam
other pc gamers are being left out cause of steam
other pc gamers are having problems with steam

so stop being selfish!
so stop being self-centered!
so stop looking only for yourselves!

steam yes but only for those that choose it
let pc gamers choose it
you choose it fine
but give the possibility to other do the same
let pc gamers choose!
and valve is not letting that happen
many don't have steam system requirements and valve is not
letting them have any alternative
valve is not letting you choose
you are forced to accept steam
and that is wrong! wrong! wrong!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:13:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 5 Sep 2005 00:39:39 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>steam should always be an option not a requirement to play pc
>games

You don't like it, don't buy it. There is no "requirement" to play
a Steam game.

>you had your life much easier cause of steam but other gamers
>have their life much difficult cause of steam
>
>other pc gamers are being EXCLUDED cause of steam

Valve is under no obligation to support anyone they don't choose to
support. If they don't want those customers, it is their choice.

Try running Battlefield 2 on a GeForce Ti4400 and you'll come right
up against another exclusion; it won't even load despite the card
being able to run a brand new game like Fable or Advent Rising.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:24:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

<flightlessvacuum@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125905757.127005.269970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Raymond Martineau wrote:
>
>> There are tools that can fix that (e.g. GameDoctor), provided that it
>> doesn't penetrate the data layer. But anyway...
>
> Data layer penetration is a gamers worst nightmare.
>

And a DVD collector... I've had to buy a few games twice because of this,
and Quake three times. CD's/DVD's are not quite indesdtructable!
McG.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:27:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125905979.661747.27560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> rob wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> i recognize steam was good for you in this specific situation
> but how about the others?
> do you think you are the only one buying and playing pc games?
> until valve released steam neither broadband or even internet
> connection was requirement to play a single player pc game but
> now they are making it MANDATORY
> why? is there any real reason for it?
> no there isn't

Product and installation validation. The game, once validated, can be
played offline. Permanently. No further updates.
McG.

> internet connection is not like a good graphic card or more
> memory that can improve the actual gameplay
> valve made internet connection mandatory to apply a system to
> give them more power and with power comes more profits
>
> steam should always be an option not a requirement to play pc
> games
>
> valve with steam is EXCLUDING pc gamers without broadband or
> internet connection
> you had your life much easier cause of steam but other gamers
> have their life much difficult cause of steam
>
> other pc gamers are being EXCLUDED cause of steam
> other pc gamers are being left out cause of steam
> other pc gamers are having problems with steam
>
> so stop being selfish!
> so stop being self-centered!
> so stop looking only for yourselves!
>
> steam yes but only for those that choose it
> let pc gamers choose it
> you choose it fine
> but give the possibility to other do the same
> let pc gamers choose!
> and valve is not letting that happen
> many don't have steam system requirements and valve is not
> letting them have any alternative
> valve is not letting you choose
> you are forced to accept steam
> and that is wrong! wrong! wrong!
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:44:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <F5BSe.8601$iM2.833613@news.xtra.co.nz>, rob wrote:
> I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
> getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
> reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge scratch
> on the CD. No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
> minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>
> Cheers Valve, now *thats* service

I take it you had to rebuy the game?

Or did your old HL1 CD key get you a free HL1 Steam version?

Smid
September 5, 2005 7:13:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Smid" <smidllllllNichSpammo.removelstoo@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:slrndhoiul.3us.smidllllllNichSpammo.removelstoo@dominique-derval.ftel.co.uk...
> In article <F5BSe.8601$iM2.833613@news.xtra.co.nz>, rob wrote:
>> I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife,
>> after
>> getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
>> reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge
>> scratch
>> on the CD. No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>> minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>>
>> Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>
> I take it you had to rebuy the game?
>
> Or did your old HL1 CD key get you a free HL1 Steam version?
>
> Smid
>

No further purchase necessary. The CD key from his old (scratched) game is
proof of purchase so Valve will then let him download that game as many
times as he likes for free. What do you mean by Steam version? Yes it runs
through Steam/no it isn't HL: Source. It's the original game (plus the
higher rez patch now also freely available through Steam).
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 9:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1125905979.661747.27560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> rob wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> i recognize steam was good for you in this specific situation
> but how about the others?
> do you think you are the only one buying and playing pc games?
> until valve released steam neither broadband or even internet
> connection was requirement to play a single player pc game but
> now they are making it MANDATORY
> why? is there any real reason for it?
> no there isn't
> internet connection is not like a good graphic card or more
> memory that can improve the actual gameplay
> valve made internet connection mandatory to apply a system to
> give them more power and with power comes more profits
>
> steam should always be an option not a requirement to play pc
> games
>
> valve with steam is EXCLUDING pc gamers without broadband or
> internet connection
> you had your life much easier cause of steam but other gamers
> have their life much difficult cause of steam
>
> other pc gamers are being EXCLUDED cause of steam
> other pc gamers are being left out cause of steam
> other pc gamers are having problems with steam
>
> so stop being selfish!
> so stop being self-centered!
> so stop looking only for yourselves!
>
> steam yes but only for those that choose it
> let pc gamers choose it
> you choose it fine
> but give the possibility to other do the same
> let pc gamers choose!
> and valve is not letting that happen
> many don't have steam system requirements and valve is not
> letting them have any alternative
> valve is not letting you choose
> you are forced to accept steam
> and that is wrong! wrong! wrong!
>


Hook Line and Sinker!!!!
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:27:28 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>
>s****k***** wrote in message
>news:1125905979.661747.27560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> rob wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> i recognize steam was good for you in this specific situation
>> but how about the others?
>> do you think you are the only one buying and playing pc games?
>> until valve released steam neither broadband or even internet
>> connection was requirement to play a single player pc game but
>> now they are making it MANDATORY
>> why? is there any real reason for it?
>> no there isn't
>
>Product and installation validation. The game, once validated, can be
>played offline. Permanently. No further updates.
>McG.

Try advancing your computer clock 1 year in off-line mode. Seems as if
Valve has sneaked some sort of time-limit back in with one of their
Steam "updates". Dangling on Valve's umbilical cord is such a
wonderful single-play experience....

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:24:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"KCB" <kcbaird@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:RbydnTXa4aqBBYHeRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>
> "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:431c8ad3.2013774@news.verizon.net...
>> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:27:28 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>s****k***** wrote in message
>>>news:1125905979.661747.27560@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>> rob wrote:
>>>>
>>>> <snip>
>>>>
>>>> i recognize steam was good for you in this specific situation
>>>> but how about the others?
>>>> do you think you are the only one buying and playing pc games?
>>>> until valve released steam neither broadband or even internet
>>>> connection was requirement to play a single player pc game but
>>>> now they are making it MANDATORY
>>>> why? is there any real reason for it?
>>>> no there isn't
>>>
>>>Product and installation validation. The game, once validated, can be
>>>played offline. Permanently. No further updates.
>>>McG.
>>
>> Try advancing your computer clock 1 year in off-line mode. Seems as if
>> Valve has sneaked some sort of time-limit back in with one of their
>> Steam "updates". Dangling on Valve's umbilical cord is such a
>> wonderful single-play experience....
>
> It's not a time limit forced by Valve, the server can't validate you
> simply because YOUR TIME STAMP IS SO FU*KED. Ever try to get Windows
> Updates with your clock set a year ahead? OMG, it must mean that
> Microsoft has sneaked some sort of time limit in with one of their Windows
> "updates".
> It DOES mean that, right John?
>>
>> John Lewis
>> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
>
With someone who only wants the single player game, maybe doesn't have
internet access (took machine to Moms house to use the cable to validate,
lets say), they should never have to need their clock straight FOR any
server.
McG.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:53:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

Johnny Bravo wrote:

> You don't like it, don't buy it. There is no "requirement"
> to play a Steam game.

yes there is
you are FORCED to use steam if you buy half-life 2 retail!
you are FORCED to use a internet technology when buying a
retail game!
that is NOT admissible!
steam is an internet technology which has no place in the
retail channel
if valve only wants to sell its games by the net then do it
only via steam but if it wants to sell its games in retail
then do it WITHOUT steam and in a PROPER way
we want a PROPER retail version STEAM FREE of half-life 2!
i've been telling this since the beginning
steam has no place in retail
steam in retail is DECEIVING and DAMAGING costumers
we demand steam being out of the retail channel

germany authorities even declared half-life 2 retail package
illegal and against consumer rights
vivendi left valve and stoped publishing there game in retail
cause of steam being infecting the retail market
all are saying the same!
steam has no place in retail!
we want steam out of retail!

> Valve is under no obligation to support anyone they don't
> choose to support. If they don't want those customers, it
> is their choice.

that's the only thing you steam fanatics know how to reply
"valve can choose how to sell its products"
can't you do any better?
is that the best you can do?
stop that LOUSY EXCUSE! stop it!
if its to write this don't write at all cause it a complete
waste! WORTHLESS WASTE mister bravo!

> Try running Battlefield 2 on a GeForce Ti4400 and you'll
> come right up against another exclusion; it won't even load

wrong mister bravo!
wrong! wrong! wrong!
what did i told you!!!!
i told you a better graphic card and more memory are totally
acceptable system requirements cause they improve gameplay
cause they make the game BETTER!
cause they make the game experience much better for us!
you need a powerful hardware to run demanding software and
we know that is true and we accept this
a better graphic card makes playing the game better for the
gamer but internet connection is only there to favour valve!
internet connection in a SINGLE-PLAYER game is a requirement
so valve can IMPOSE a system like steam in pc games so they
can have more control and with more control comes more money
and don't even try to deny this
internet connection required in a single player game is all
motivated by money not by more quality to us pc gamers
you can say valve has all the right to do it but don't even
imply internet connection for a SINGLE-PLAYER game is a
requirement for us pc gamers
does doom3 have this requirement? NO!
does farcry have this requirement? NO!
does riddick have this requirement? NO!
does painkiller have this requirement? NO!
does even battlefield 2 which is a multiplayer game have
this requirement? NO! NO! NO!
none of them have this requirement!
so why only valve games have this requirement?
so why is valve games any different?
cause its there to FAVOUR valve and not to benefit the game
itself or us pc gamers!

ITS A DAMN HYPOCRISY SAYING INTERNET CONNECTION FOR A SINGLE
PLAYER GAME IS A REAL REQUIREMENT!
HYPOCRISY!
HYPOCRITE YOU ARE MISTER BRAVO!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:13:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:27:28 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Product and installation validation. The game, once validated, can be
>played offline. Permanently.

In theory. Both times I actually needed to use Half-life 2 offline
mode, it failed to work due to (intentional/unintentional?) bugs in
the Steam offline system.

Then of course there is the case if you need to re-install the game,
like when upgrading your OS, or re-installing Windows (that happens
time to time when Windows gets cluttered).
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:16:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:10:20 -0400, "KCB" <kcbaird@comcast.net> wrote:

>It's not a time limit forced by Valve, the server can't validate you simply
>because YOUR TIME STAMP IS SO FU*KED.

Errr, why should the update system care what your "time stamp" is? It
checks for version numbers, not time stamps, RIGHT?

I can update System Shock 2 offline, no matter what my system clock is
saying. The wonders of modern technology!
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:00:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message > It's the original
game (plus the
> higher rez patch now also freely available through Steam).

Regarding that patch, do you have to do anything to enable it other than
download it? I d/led it and loaded up a HL:Source savegame but it looked
exactly the same.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:09:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

One Punch Mickey thought about it a bit, then said...
>
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message > It's the original
> game (plus the
> > higher rez patch now also freely available through Steam).
>
> Regarding that patch, do you have to do anything to enable it other than
> download it? I d/led it and loaded up a HL:Source savegame but it looked
> exactly the same.

It only works with the original HL, BS, and OF games. HL:Source does not
use the high-def pack (ironic, isn't it? ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 1:23:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In article <1125929245.27836.0@damia.uk.clara.net>, Shawk wrote:
>
> "Smid" <smidllllllNichSpammo.removelstoo@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:slrndhoiul.3us.smidllllllNichSpammo.removelstoo@dominique-derval.ftel.co.uk...
>> In article <F5BSe.8601$iM2.833613@news.xtra.co.nz>, rob wrote:
>>> I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife,
>>> after
>>> getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
>>> reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge
>>> scratch
>>> on the CD. No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>>> minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>>>
>>> Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>>
>> I take it you had to rebuy the game?
>>
>> Or did your old HL1 CD key get you a free HL1 Steam version?
>
> No further purchase necessary. The CD key from his old (scratched) game is
> proof of purchase so Valve will then let him download that game as many
> times as he likes for free. What do you mean by Steam version? Yes it runs
> through Steam/no it isn't HL: Source. It's the original game (plus the
> higher rez patch now also freely available through Steam).

Ah yeah, I meant HL: Source. Ah well, I've played HL enough times anyway,
I should go back and do System Shock 2 instead...

Smid
September 6, 2005 2:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Q0cTe.12940$R5.958@news.indigo.ie...
>
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message > It's the original
> game (plus the
>> higher rez patch now also freely available through Steam).
>
> Regarding that patch, do you have to do anything to enable it other than
> download it? I d/led it and loaded up a HL:Source savegame but it looked
> exactly the same.
>

I dont have the Source version - sorry. Dont know if it applies to or works
with that. Just as an experiment have you tried starting a new game rather
than a save-game? The forums at Steampowered might be the place to look if
no-one can answer that here.

It works fine with the original HL, OpFor & BS - after clicking on the
higher rez link and then starting a game from Steam it downloads everything
it needs and updates.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:05:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
news:jvfqh1tflhjkrcje6rbf34p39or87kmrcc@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:27:28 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Product and installation validation. The game, once validated, can be
>>played offline. Permanently.
>
> In theory. Both times I actually needed to use Half-life 2 offline
> mode, it failed to work due to (intentional/unintentional?) bugs in
> the Steam offline system.
>
> Then of course there is the case if you need to re-install the game,
> like when upgrading your OS, or re-installing Windows (that happens
> time to time when Windows gets cluttered).
>
Though a little beside the point, I just built a new system and moved the
complete Steam collection over to the new drive. No re-installing that
although the opsys is a fresh install. After I moved the folder, I simply
deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file in the new location, then doubleclick
the Steam.exe file, log into Steam and in a few seconds it's done. Whole
process was around 20 minutes on my LAN. 11.9 gigs total.
Of course, I don't know if I can play any of the games offline. After I
moved it all then logged in, I found that all the games were 100% and ready
for offline mode. And had defaulted to "do not update these files". I ran
HL2 with the LAN turned off, but not all the rest of the collection. Some
of them, the multiplayer games, you'd expect would default to automatically
keep up to date and not want to play in offline mode. Didn't try them
though.
That it didn't work in offline mode dependably for someone is a problem.
McG.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:56:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, One Punch Mickey wrote:

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message > It's the original
> game (plus the
> > higher rez patch now also freely available through Steam).
>
> Regarding that patch, do you have to do anything to enable it other than
> download it? I d/led it and loaded up a HL:Source savegame but it looked
> exactly the same.

Sorry, but we are not talking about HL:Source here, but the original HL.
HL:Source was one huge dissappointment anyway as neither HL Uplink nor the
great models from HL2 were incooperated. But there is a mod project going
on to rebuild HL in HL2 which will be probably much better than HL:Source.

P.S.: It recently occurred to me that with their back-catalog Valve kills
the HL second-hand market similar as they do it with Steam for HL2 :( ...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
September 6, 2005 3:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:05:44 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Though a little beside the point, I just built a new system and moved the
>complete Steam collection over to the new drive. No re-installing that
>although the opsys is a fresh install. After I moved the folder, I simply
>deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file in the new location, then doubleclick
>the Steam.exe file, log into Steam and in a few seconds it's done. Whole
>process was around 20 minutes on my LAN. 11.9 gigs total.
>Of course, I don't know if I can play any of the games offline.

Of course you can't just move it and play it offline immediately,
otherwise it would be the easiest thing in the world to pirate.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> Spake Unto All:

>P.S.: It recently occurred to me that with their back-catalog Valve kills
>the HL second-hand market similar as they do it with Steam for HL2 :( ...

Or, put another way, one can put a negative spin on absolutely
everything.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:44:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> Spake Unto All:
>
> >P.S.: It recently occurred to me that with their back-catalog Valve kills
> >the HL second-hand market similar as they do it with Steam for HL2 :( ...
>
> Or, put another way, one can put a negative spin on absolutely
> everything.

Well I bought my original HL second hand from a friend and I do buy second
hand games occasionally. So there...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:52:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Highlandish wrote:

> > But there is a mod project going on to rebuild HL in HL2 which will be
> > probably much better than HL:Source.
>
> Black Mesa: Source ?

Exactly. Has some nice pictures up already...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 6 Sep 2005 00:53:46 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Johnny Bravo wrote:
>
>> You don't like it, don't buy it. There is no "requirement"
>> to play a Steam game.
>
>yes there is

You are not required to play half-life 2.

<snip irrelevant conclusions drawn from false premise>
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 7:32:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Kevin Steele wrote:

> It only works with the original HL, BS, and OF games. HL:Source does not
> use the high-def pack (ironic, isn't it? ;-)

It is, because they redid all the models for HL:Source, as some new idle
animations and the corrected "freeze-model-bug" shows. But then I didn't
like most of the high-def pack models in the first place, they messed up
most of the weapons graphically and/or logical and the best models were
the new humans, which of course taken from HL2 would have been better.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
September 6, 2005 7:51:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Smid" wrote in message

> I take it you had to rebuy the game?
>
> Or did your old HL1 CD key get you a free HL1 Steam version?

What shawk said, its the full game and no money required.

I simply registered the CDkey off the original case in steam and downloaded
it. I'm pretty certain it downloads the next levels while your playing and
caches them.
September 6, 2005 7:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:51:54 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I'm pretty certain it downloads the next levels while your playing and
>caches them.

No it doesn't, Steam isn't that advanced.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
September 6, 2005 7:54:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 6 Sep 2005 00:53:46 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>you are FORCED to use steam if you buy half-life 2 retail!
>you are FORCED to use a internet technology when buying a
>retail game!
>that is NOT admissible!

No one is forcing you to buy it however.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 8:16:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Nice, hadn't seen that.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:28:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> in
Pine.LNX.4.58.0509061046560.11295@localhost
> Sorry, but we are not talking about HL:Source here, but the original
> HL. HL:Source was one huge dissappointment anyway as neither HL
> Uplink nor the great models from HL2 were incooperated. But there is
> a mod project going on to rebuild HL in HL2 which will be probably
> much better than HL:Source.

Black Mesa: Source ?

--
Efficiency is a highly developed form of laziness.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:02:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> in
YRdTe.41728$Nx.27409@tornado.texas.rr.com
> Though a little beside the point, I just built a new system and moved
> the complete Steam collection over to the new drive. No
> re-installing that although the opsys is a fresh install. After I
> moved the folder, I simply deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file in
> the new location, then doubleclick the Steam.exe file, log into Steam
> and in a few seconds it's done. Whole process was around 20 minutes
> on my LAN. 11.9 gigs total. Of course, I don't know if I can play any
> of the games offline. After I moved it all then logged in, I found
> that all the games were
> 100% and ready for offline mode. And had defaulted to "do not update
> these files". I ran HL2 with the LAN turned off, but not all the
> rest of the collection. Some of them, the multiplayer games, you'd
> expect would default to automatically keep up to date and not want to
> play in offline mode. Didn't try them though.
> That it didn't work in offline mode dependably for someone is a
> problem. McG.

I've formatted and reinstalled winxp a few times while steam was
installed on another drive, and I've never had to do anything to keep
steam and all the games installed, I make a shortcut on the desktop to
the steam.exe file, and let it check the net and I can play away. why do
you need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file?

--
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 1:04:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Quoth The Raven: Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> in
Pine.LNX.4.58.0509061251320.11295@localhost
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Highlandish wrote:
>
>>> But there is a mod project going on to rebuild HL in HL2 which will
>>> be probably much better than HL:Source.
>>
>> Black Mesa: Source ?
>
> Exactly. Has some nice pictures up already...

yeah I checked it out last week, latest is the dam level. I would have
thought by now there'd be some levels ready to play, this has been going
for a while now

--
Democracy is three wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for
supper

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:02:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
news:5qqqh1p11ip8mk4102rk0c3nvbfn6tnc89@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:05:44 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Though a little beside the point, I just built a new system and moved the
>>complete Steam collection over to the new drive. No re-installing that
>>although the opsys is a fresh install. After I moved the folder, I simply
>>deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file in the new location, then doubleclick
>>the Steam.exe file, log into Steam and in a few seconds it's done. Whole
>>process was around 20 minutes on my LAN. 11.9 gigs total.
>>Of course, I don't know if I can play any of the games offline.
>
> Of course you can't just move it and play it offline immediately,
> otherwise it would be the easiest thing in the world to pirate.

Well, I simply haven't tried it man :)  Not for anything but HL2 itself.
McG.

> --
> Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:06:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
news:431d776f$0$18640$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
> Quoth The Raven: McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> in
> YRdTe.41728$Nx.27409@tornado.texas.rr.com
>> Though a little beside the point, I just built a new system and moved
>> the complete Steam collection over to the new drive. No
>> re-installing that although the opsys is a fresh install. After I
>> moved the folder, I simply deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file in
>> the new location, then doubleclick the Steam.exe file, log into Steam
>> and in a few seconds it's done. Whole process was around 20 minutes
>> on my LAN. 11.9 gigs total. Of course, I don't know if I can play any of
>> the games offline. After I moved it all then logged in, I found that all
>> the games were
>> 100% and ready for offline mode. And had defaulted to "do not update
>> these files". I ran HL2 with the LAN turned off, but not all the
>> rest of the collection. Some of them, the multiplayer games, you'd
>> expect would default to automatically keep up to date and not want to
>> play in offline mode. Didn't try them though.
>> That it didn't work in offline mode dependably for someone is a
>> problem. McG.
>
> I've formatted and reinstalled winxp a few times while steam was installed
> on another drive, and I've never had to do anything to keep steam and all
> the games installed, I make a shortcut on the desktop to the steam.exe
> file, and let it check the net and I can play away. why do you need to
> delete the ClientRegistry.blob file?

Well, I don't know that I *had* to, it was simply suggested by one of our
regs that I do that before logging into Steam. so, I did. So it would work
fine just copying over the entire Steam folder and not delete the .blob
file? Cool.
McG.

>
> --
> Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
>
> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
>
September 7, 2005 4:00:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
news:f78qh1laivdhg31jsnkmf882tri4b77b0a@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:51:54 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I'm pretty certain it downloads the next levels while your playing and
>>caches them.
>
> No it doesn't, Steam isn't that advanced.


So the whole game is a 70-80Mb d/l !?!

The good old days huh
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:36:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:16:11 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:10:20 -0400, "KCB" <kcbaird@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>It's not a time limit forced by Valve, the server can't validate you simply
>>because YOUR TIME STAMP IS SO FU*KED.
>
>Errr, why should the update system care what your "time stamp" is? It
>checks for version numbers, not time stamps, RIGHT?

As you know, some products use the system time to believe that they are
running an outdated version, it the event that there is ne connection to
the patch server. Anti-virus packages are well known for this.

Time stamps can also be used to roll-back a defective patch. For example,
a buggered OMF:B patch creates a memory leak, and is recalled by putting a
later date stamp on an earlier version. If version checking is just left to
the numbers, rollback will not be as easily detected.

>I can update System Shock 2 offline, no matter what my system clock is
>saying. The wonders of modern technology!

That's because System Shock 2 uses a fully manual patching system. The
patch generally doesn't care about version numbers or previous file
contents, as long as you are not installing an incremental patch.
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:36:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:02:50 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>why do you need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file?

There are rare cases where you need to delete the file (e.g. the absolute
pathname for the main Steam directory changes.)

You'll also need to cycle around ClientRegistry.blob whenever you want to
do stuff involving multiple Windows accounts. Attempting to use the same
Steam account in this case will force a logout - probably for security
reasons.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:47:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> writes:

> I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
> getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
> reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge scratch
> on the CD. No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
> minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>
> Cheers Valve, now *thats* service

I uninstalled HL via Add/Remove Programs and to my surprise it wiped
out everything on that disk partition.

Cheers Valve, now *thats* service.

--
Niko Wellingk
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:59:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:43:35 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
>getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
>reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge scratch
>on the CD.

What do you expect if you use it as a frisbee or a beer coaster?

>No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>

After registering etc, etc, of course.....

For me just a 2 minute install from CD and 30 seconds to locate and
download the latest (pre-Steam) patch from my patch archives.

>Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>
>

For the self-crippled..........

John Lewis


- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:06:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:431f5293.14864724@news.verizon.net...
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:43:35 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>I'm probably the only guy in the world who hasn't finished Halflife, after
>>getting stuck on the alien world level. After finishing HL2 I decided to
>>reinstall HL and try again but imagine my horror when I found a huge
>>scratch
>>on the CD.
>
> What do you expect if you use it as a frisbee or a beer coaster?
>
>>No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>>minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>>
>
> After registering etc, etc, of course.....
>
> For me just a 2 minute install from CD and 30 seconds to locate and
> download the latest (pre-Steam) patch from my patch archives.

Half-Life1? yeah... HL2? 12 gigs in the Steam folder. All the games, all
up to date, and over 400 multiplayer maps for hl2dm :)  I am very happy I
didn't have to re-install all that stuff!
McG.

>
>>Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>>
>>
>
> For the self-crippled..........
>
> John Lewis
>
>
> - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:20:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, McGrandpa wrote:

> Half-Life1? yeah... HL2? 12 gigs in the Steam folder. All the games, all
> up to date, and over 400 multiplayer maps for hl2dm :)  I am very happy I
> didn't have to re-install all that stuff!

So if your harddrive dies, how long will it take you to download all of
these 12 gigs again? Compared to installing most of it from DVDs?

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
September 8, 2005 3:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0509081119020.27535@localhost...
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Half-Life1? yeah... HL2? 12 gigs in the Steam folder. All the games,
>> all
>> up to date, and over 400 multiplayer maps for hl2dm :)  I am very happy I
>> didn't have to re-install all that stuff!
>
> So if your harddrive dies, how long will it take you to download all of
> these 12 gigs again? Compared to installing most of it from DVDs?


Quite some time obviously hence the DVD or HD backups (I use another HD in
an ICYBOX). Steam doesn't necessarily make you complacent as you seem to
think. Folk that have the sense to have backups of their important (or not
easily replaced data) also have the sense to backup their Steam folder.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0509081119020.27535@localhost...
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Half-Life1? yeah... HL2? 12 gigs in the Steam folder. All the games,
>> all
>> up to date, and over 400 multiplayer maps for hl2dm :)  I am very happy I
>> didn't have to re-install all that stuff!
>
> So if your harddrive dies, how long will it take you to download all of
> these 12 gigs again? Compared to installing most of it from DVDs?
>
> --
> Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
> "The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships

I've backed up earlier. Guess now is a good time to do that fresh.
McG.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:04:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Shawk wrote:

> Folk that have the sense to have backups of their important (or not
> easily replaced data) also have the sense to backup their Steam folder.

So what was the big advantage of Steam again, compared to having a DVD in
the first place, when you are going to burn all the stuff yourself ;) ?

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
September 8, 2005 5:04:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0509081302520.27535@localhost...
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Shawk wrote:
>
>> Folk that have the sense to have backups of their important (or not
>> easily replaced data) also have the sense to backup their Steam folder.
>
> So what was the big advantage of Steam again, compared to having a DVD in
> the first place, when you are going to burn all the stuff yourself ;) ?
>

I guess the smiley means that you already know the for and against
arguments, don't really want to read them all over again, not advocating not
backing up data and you're teasing right?

I'll bite just a little anyway - I have the retail DVD of HL2 however my
backup includes all patches and d-loads since Nov04 including the free MP
game that was released afterwards. If needed (new hard-drive etc) I just
copy the folder across and sign in. No reinstallation or patching
required - suits me.

As an aside my Valve folder is 6.09GB. That includes HL2, HL2 MP, HL1,
OpFor, BS, CS:Source, Codename Gordon and Tim Coop. I dont have HL1:Source
or the SDK. McG must have a hell of of lot of map-packs for 12GB :-)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) Spake Unto All:

>>No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>>minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>
>After registering etc, etc, of course.....
>
>For me just a 2 minute install from CD and 30 seconds to locate and
>download the latest (pre-Steam) patch from my patch archives.

The LEGAL copy takes a bit longer to install from CD than your rip,
though.

>>Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>
>For the self-crippled..........

Seriously, what's wrong with you?
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:51:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:m360i1lvrudk4bmhqjfhqmu063rirnfa2r@4ax.com...
> Thusly john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) Spake Unto All:
>
>>>No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>>>minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :) 
>>
>>After registering etc, etc, of course.....
>>
>>For me just a 2 minute install from CD and 30 seconds to locate and
>>download the latest (pre-Steam) patch from my patch archives.
>
> The LEGAL copy takes a bit longer to install from CD than your rip,
> though.

From what I understand him saying he did, it was legitimate. He had a cd
that wouldn't work, used the key on Steam, and steam installed the game for
him. When I used my own Half-Life cd key from my original disk, Steam said
I had some kinda pack and wouldn't even take my key code for Opposing Force.
Instead, Steam then installed ALL the games from their backlog (no blue
shift though). Then I used my HL2 Collectors Edition key and Steam
installed a bunch of other stuff along with what i'd pre-cached.
So how did he not do it legal?
McG.

>
>>>Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>>
>>For the self-crippled..........
>
> Seriously, what's wrong with you?
>
>
!