Trouble getting media server to work

P-Stew

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
The nuts and bolts:
I have a Samsung TV that I have been using to view media from my desktop through Samsung's DLNA software, PC share manager. This setup has been fine for the past two years. A few days ago, I started my PC, started the media server, turned on the TV and the TV told me that no media server could be found. I did the usual restarting of devices and reinstalled the software, but had no luck. I tried using Samsung's live chat feature and that was even less helpful.

Eventually I installed the software on my netbook and found that I could share from that computer and the TV was recognizing it. At this point I realized that my desktop was not finding my TV as a connected device. I then tried sharing through WMP and PS3 Media Server and neither program (running on my desktop) was able to find a connected device, either my TV or PS3. I had been thinking the issue was my TV but now I am wondering if something is up with my PC. I made no significant changes to the computer between the time it was working and now. There were a couple of Windows updates, but I don't believe that they changed anything significant.

I run XP on my desktop and it is connected to my router via ethernet cable. The PS3 is wireless and the TV is downstairs and is connected via ethernet to a bridged router. I realize that the issue would seem to be that the devices and my PC are not on the same network, however I only have one network in my home. And according to my router, they all appear on the network together. I googled the hell out of this issue but could find no answer that alleviated my troubles.

I would appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

vincent25

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I'm having the same trouble. I have a Marantz and Samsung tv that my laptop suddenly can't see anymore. DLNA stopped working with my phone to these devices too. I did notice a new virtual switch on my network map between wired devices and the router. Can't tell if this is causing the problem... Anything like that on your network map?

P-Stew

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Checked the workgroup name and it has not changed, but good idea. I also removed everything and it had no effect. The rights on the files are not an issue because the software itself will not detect my TV and that's before I even try to share any particular files.

I am not seeing any new virtual switch here, so I doubt that's my problem.