Power Supply Questions

lethic

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
I've just built myself a new system and Im not familiar with power supplies at all. I have a Enermax 305-B case, that came with a 350Watt Power supply. The power supply is not enermax and it only has one fan.

I wasnt worried about anything until I started using ASUS PC probe which showed my +12V reading as 13 and over. On the advice from someone on the CPU board, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and it shows me at 12.40. Since Im clueless about this, Im not sure if I should be aiming for 12.00 and below, or what my range is for safe usage. Will upgrading the power supply help?

Here is my setup. A 48x CD-RW, a 34x CDROM, a 40gig 7200rpm harddrive, ASUS A7V333 Motherboard, floppy drive, AMD XP2000+ CPU, Raedon7500 agp card, 512 megs of crucial 2100 ram. Im using four 80mm case fans, and Im planning on adding a 120mm in the future. Can my 350W PS support this or should I be looking for 400+ and what power supplies would you all recommend for my setup. Thanks a lot!

-Jarek

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't need a new power supply. Most 12v circuits are made to handle 13.8v Better a little over than a little under as far as stability is concerned.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>