Sign in with
Your question

Help! Strange power problems

Tags:
  • Power
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 19, 2002 8:35:13 AM

Since I added a new Network card, and rewired the power in my house (not sure which caused the problem), I've had a very strange problem occur.

Basically, when I first switch on the Computer, having had the power turned off at the plug, it will appear to boot, but no signal is sent to the monitor, and there are no error beeps, it appears to check the periferals as usual. If I then hit reset, it does the same again. If I hit reset a second time, it boots normally.

If it hasn't been switched off at the Plug, just on the PC, it'll boot normally.

It is as if there is a check on a part of the system which is live whenever the system is plugged in (rather than when switched on), which is overcome by rebooting twice.

Anyone seen this behaviour before ?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte one (GA-5MX?), and the system has:

Mitsumi CD-Rom, Aopen CD-RW, two Seagate Barracuda IV Hard Drives, a Floppy Drive, AGP GeForce 2 MX400 Graphics Card, Creative PCI 16bit Sound Card, and two PCI Netgear Network Cards.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChrisWheeler on 09/19/02 01:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : strange power problems

September 19, 2002 6:09:08 PM

Probably a wierd IRQ conflict that the computer eventually configures? Did you try changing slots for the card?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!