Favorite hand weapons?

What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
console games both fine)
63 answers Last reply
More about favorite hand weapons

    > What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    > console games both fine)

    No question.
    The RC-P90 from Goldeneye . One in each hand...goodnight Vienna.

    "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
    > What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    > console games both fine)

    No such thing as "console" here :)

    Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo, the
    pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool. Grenade
    launchers are good in general :) The variety of weaps and their respective
    properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days. In the
    above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM
    etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time
    favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the
    games!
    McG.

    > Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo, the
    > pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool. Grenade
    > launchers are good in general :) The variety of weaps and their
    > respective properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days.
    > In the above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game (SP,
    > MPDM etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all
    > time favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in
    > ALL the games!
    > McG.

    The one that sticks out for me is HL's Crossbow as well. It's one-shot
    kill, and that *thunk* sound when releasing the arrow is strangely
    satisfying.

    "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >console games both fine)

    Depends on the game, and most games I have no favorite.
    Off the top of my head:
    Red Faction: tossup between the silenced pistol and the sniper rifles.
    Oni: Plasma Rifle, no question about it.
    NOLF: sniper rifle
    GTA: VC+SA: Chain gun
    Half-Life: The alien swarm gun thing, because it had infinite ammo,
    albeit a very small "clip"
    Unreal: The blaster pistol - same reason

    Xocyll

    >> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo,
    >> the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool.
    >> Grenade launchers are good in general :) The variety of weaps and their
    >> respective properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days.
    >> In the above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game
    >> (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my
    >> personal all time favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to
    >> see that in ALL the games!
    >> McG.
    >
    > The one that sticks out for me is HL's Crossbow as well. It's one-shot
    > kill, and that *thunk* sound when releasing the arrow is strangely
    > satisfying.

    The crossbow in HL2 is *good*, but c'mon now, red-hot rebar?!?!? The
    enemies do tend to stick around better when its used on em! ;) I'm playing
    the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I sure hope my Barney
    Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!
    McG.

    Alai wrote:
    > What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    > console games both fine)

    Guns.

    "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Alai wrote:
    >> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >> console games both fine)
    >
    > Guns.

    With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
    McG.

    Quoth The Raven: Alai <iamhere@overthere.net> in
    TcydnXLyK4MvEL_eRVn-ow@comcast.com
    > What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc
    > or console games both fine)

    well that all depends on the game designer as to how effective, visually
    and audibly, the weapon is. my fave is still doomII's double barrel
    shotgun for one shot kills, and the way it makes you dodge while
    reloading for the next kill
    --
    Writing is like getting married. One should never commit oneself until
    one is amazed at one's luck. - Iris Murdoch

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

    > "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Alai wrote:
    >>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >>> console games both fine)
    >>
    >> Guns.
    >
    > With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
    > McG.

    Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
    With - Original Dooms shotgun

    >> "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Guns.
    >>
    >> With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
    > With - Original Dooms shotgun

    Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
    feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.

    Quoth The Raven: redTed <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> in
    blzUe.2886$Q%2.1278@newsfe1-win.ntli.net
    >> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc
    >> or console games both fine)
    >
    > No question.
    > The RC-P90 from Goldeneye . One in each hand...goodnight Vienna.

    the golden gun from goldeneye!

    --
    Orchestras only need to be sworn at, and a German is consequently at an
    advantage with them, as English profanity, except in America, has not

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

    i used to love the bee gun in HL1
    --
    I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, they are
    more screwed up than you think.

    "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    >i used to love the bee gun in HL1
    > --
    > I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, they are
    > more screwed up than you think.
    >
    > Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

    Wow, I'd forgot about that one. It was really fun and in some situations
    the only one that didn't run out of ammo :)
    McG.

    Thus spake "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
    11:24:08 GMT, Anno Domini:

    >"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
    >> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >> console games both fine)
    >>

    >No such thing as "console" here :)
    >
    >Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo, the
    >pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool. Grenade
    >launchers are good in general :) The variety of weaps and their respective
    >properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days. In the
    >above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM
    >etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time
    >favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the
    >games!
    >McG.

    This is a really stoopid thread, but, if you can't beat em...:

    - BFG2000
    - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
    memory)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    "Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message

    > - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
    > memory)

    Wandering OT but I'm looking forward to trying sniper elite...

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    wrote:

    >What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >console games both fine)

    The cannon from Serious Sam.

    Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
    4hh5i1hfg69gl39s41prhdnip66q9b4867@4ax.com
    > Thus spake "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
    > 11:24:08 GMT, Anno Domini:
    >

    >> "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
    >>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action
    >>> games?(pc or console games both fine)
    >>>

    >> No such thing as "console" here :)
    >>
    >> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In
    >> Halo, the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are
    >> cool. Grenade launchers are good in general :) The variety of
    >> weaps and their respective properties are usually fitted well to the
    >> gameplay these days. In the above mentioned games, it will depend
    >> on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the
    >> 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time favorite weapon is the
    >> scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the games!
    >> McG.
    >
    > This is a really stoopid thread, but, if you can't beat em...:
    >
    > - BFG2000
    > - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out
    > in memory)

    I've come across some terrible sniper rifles, like in FARCRY, man you
    had to hold your breath, crouch as low as possible and you still
    wondered all over the place. even after adding some hacks it was hard to
    use.

    --
    People will believe anything if you whisper it.

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> in
    m%zUe.1011$h02.487@tornado.texas.rr.com
    > "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
    >> i used to love the bee gun in HL1
    >> --
    >> I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, they are
    >> more screwed up than you think.
    >>
    >> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
    >>

    > Wow, I'd forgot about that one. It was really fun and in some
    > situations the only one that didn't run out of ammo :)
    > McG.

    precisely, and as they homed in on the enemy, it was the cheatenist
    weapon ever!

    --
    The most effective answer to an insult is silence.

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Blood1's Flare Gun.

    rms
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: Alai <iamhere@overthere.net> in
    6sadnVpOTcuveL_eRVn-jg@comcast.com
    >> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In
    >> Halo, the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are
    >> cool. Grenade launchers are good in general :) The variety of
    >> weaps and their respective properties are usually fitted well to the
    >> gameplay these days. In the above mentioned games, it will depend on
    >> the map, type of game (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the
    >> 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time favorite weapon is the
    >> scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the games!
    >> McG.
    >
    > The one that sticks out for me is HL's Crossbow as well. It's
    > one-shot kill, and that *thunk* sound when releasing the arrow is
    > strangely satisfying.

    and being the only descent scoped weapon made it ideal, especially
    second fire mode with explosives

    --
    Psssst! Hey you! Look out! Behind you!

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
    >> With - Original Dooms shotgun
    >
    > Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
    > feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.

    Yeah - right click to hold it back a little longer - let go and bang! Loads
    more power behind the swing...
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Shawk" wrote

    > Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench

    The force in the JK games. I love getting stormtroopers in a choke grip and
    flinging them off someplace high

    > With - Original Dooms shotgun

    Quake2s plasma rifle
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "Shawk" wrote
    >
    >> Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
    >
    > The force in the JK games. I love getting stormtroopers in a choke grip
    > and flinging them off someplace high

    never played em..

    >> With - Original Dooms shotgun
    >
    > Quake2s plasma rifle

    yeah - nice gun..
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> in
    ug06i198r9h5t1lbnr5fr4eseiu23rif3s@4ax.com
    > GTA: VC+SA: Chain gun

    damn, i have seen that one
    --
    Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went
    nuts. - Stephen Wright

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: rob <roball@xtra.co.nz> in
    7dFUe.10426$iM2.949319@news.xtra.co.nz
    > The force in the JK games. I love getting stormtroopers in a choke
    > grip and flinging them off someplace high

    YES! and push as well, just shove them off a ledge to their deaths

    --
    Girlfriend pregnant ! (M)arry, (I)gnore, (A)bort

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote:

    >|What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >|console games both fine)

    DukeNukem = Pipe Bombs, Shrink Gun.
    Kingpin = Flamethrower

    Pluvious
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    >> The trick is to use the thermal vision. One hit kill, through a wall.
    >>
    >> I know someone who made an 11-hit kill with one railgun shot - all he did
    >> was aim at the massive heat blob for that many kills. Unfortunately, half
    >> of the blob were teammates.
    >>
    > What "thermal vision"? In a Quake game?!

    He must be talking about the rail gun in Red Faction.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction

    Dennis
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > DukeNukem = Pipe Bombs, Shrink Gun.
    > Kingpin = Flamethrower
    >

    > Pluvious

    Woohoo!~ some oldies yet goodies. Devastator from Duke 3D was cool too.
    It actually *looked* very cool.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
    > feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.

    The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as in
    Half-Life.

    Now the military knife in OF was as worthless as the knife in Serious Sam.

    The only memorable melee weapons, for me, are in Riddick: EfBB and a few
    from SS2. The lightsaber in the Jedi Knight series were a given, and as
    mentioned above, the Force powers were much more fun to use. (BTW, I
    recently tried replaying JKII and ended up quitting about halfway through.
    Just got dull after a while.)
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > I'm playing the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I sure
    > hope my Barney Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!

    Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow. Only
    one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if you find the
    one nest tucked away.

    Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
    However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That and
    Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved holding down the
    fire button on that one and have it charge up in the guy's hand until he
    could barely hold on to it and then it would let out a respectable energy
    burst (for a self-recharging weapon).
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Minigun from AvP2. Shredded anything that moved.

    Bow in the Thief series. Very versatile.

    Plasma Rifle in Doom 3. I love the little recharging whine when you drop in
    a new cell. In comparison, the BFG was overkill. And since I'm on Doom 3, I
    tended to like the Grabber in RoE better than the Gravity Gun in Half-Life
    2. Seemed more realistic that you only had a few seconds to hold and throw
    an object. Also deflected stuff really well.

    Electric Alien Bug in Opposing Force. Same concept as the Hornet Gun in
    Half-Life, but with a faster rate of fire.

    Stakegun in Painkiller. "Splat!" :)

    Acid Gun in Will Rock. "Shoonk...Brrrrrrrt...Pop!" Good times.

    Land Shark Gun and the Topsy Turvy Bombs in Armed & Dangerous. Just fun
    little weapons.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: stoic <foo@foo.com> in
    u787i1lkb0k25dr1jsuev88vpjb58gq4b6@4ax.com
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc
    >> or console games both fine)
    >>

    > The cannon from Serious Sam.

    yeah, i did the ammo cheat with that one, and played bowling with the
    buggers as they came in swarms

    --
    Contrary to popular belief ostriches never stick their heads in the
    sand.

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
    23:37:43 +1000, Anno Domini:

    >Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
    >4hh5i1hfg69gl39s41prhdnip66q9b4867@4ax.com
    >> Thus spake "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
    >> 11:24:08 GMT, Anno Domini:
    >>

    >>> "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> No such thing as "console" here :)
    >>>
    >>> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In
    >>> Halo, the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are
    >>> cool. Grenade launchers are good in general :) The variety of
    >>> weaps and their respective properties are usually fitted well to the
    >>> gameplay these days. In the above mentioned games, it will depend
    >>> on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the
    >>> 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time favorite weapon is the
    >>> scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the games!
    >>> McG.
    >>
    >> This is a really stoopid thread, but, if you can't beat em...:
    >>
    >> - BFG2000
    >> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out
    >> in memory)
    >
    >I've come across some terrible sniper rifles, like in FARCRY, man you
    >had to hold your breath, crouch as low as possible and you still
    >wondered all over the place. even after adding some hacks it was hard to
    >use.

    I recall it being quite useable, with no hacks...hmmm...might have to run it
    (still have it installed) to see what you mean. The best one was the
    nightvision one in RTCW - that rocked! The SOF one was just too easy - you
    could virtually play the whole game with it if you cheated with ammo.

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thus spake "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:00:03
    +0100, Anno Domini:

    >"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
    >
    >> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
    >> memory)
    >>

    >Wandering OT but I'm looking forward to trying sniper elite...

    Hmmm...do tell pls? Any links? Man, I love a nice sniper rifle (could you
    tell? ;). Actually, one fps I loved but forgot to mention is Serious Sam - I
    *know* there was some gnarly weapons in that one but they just escape my
    memory (apart from the sniper rifle which had GREAT sound & kick :).

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Thus spake "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:00:03
    > +0100, Anno Domini:
    >

    >>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
    >>> memory)
    >>>

    >>Wandering OT but I'm looking forward to trying sniper elite...
    >
    > Hmmm...do tell pls? Any links? Man, I love a nice sniper rifle (could you
    > tell? ;). Actually, one fps I loved but forgot to mention is Serious Sam -
    > *know* there was some gnarly weapons in that one but they just escape my
    > memory (apart from the sniper rifle which had GREAT sound & kick :).

    http://pc.ign.com/articles/637/637015p1.html

    This is a preview. The game seems to be third person for moving around and
    first person for taking the shots, binoculars etc. I'd have preferred first
    person thoughout obviously but as a sniping fans this is the only game that
    seems to have been made specifically for us so far and beggars can't be
    choosers eh?

    Current favourite sniper rifle is the commando in Counter-Strike Source.
    Pick a perch and back up the rest of the team... nice.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thus spake stoic <foo@foo.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:15:11 -0400, Anno
    Domini:

    >On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >>console games both fine)
    >>

    >The cannon from Serious Sam.

    Bingo! THAT'S the one! :)))

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Thus spake stoic <foo@foo.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:15:11 -0400, Anno
    > Domini:
    >
    >>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
    >>>console games both fine)
    >>>

    >>The cannon from Serious Sam.
    >
    > Bingo! THAT'S the one! :)))

    LOL! Yeah, I'm like Highlandish there, I cheated and used it for bowling
    :)
    It was fun. The croteam put some fun stuff in the game.
    McG.

    > --
    > A killfile is a friend for life.
    >
    > Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The Painkiller. Handheld food processor/projectile/beam weapon.

    Oh, and the sparq beam in System Shock.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote in message news:dg1u5u$5e2$1@news.tamu.edu...
    >> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I
    >> could feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
    >
    > The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as in
    > Half-Life.

    You could well be right - been a long time.... a very long time...
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > "Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote in message news:dg1u5u$5e2$1@news.tamu.edu...
    >>> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I
    >>> could feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
    >>
    >> The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as
    >> in Half-Life.
    >>

    > You could well be right - been a long time.... a very long time...

    He is. I'm replaying those two games now using Steam(new widescreen mode
    for my laptop looks sweet!) and it was Opposing Force that had wrench.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thus spake "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>, Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:31:35
    +0100, Anno Domini:

    >http://pc.ign.com/articles/637/637015p1.html
    >
    >This is a preview. The game seems to be third person for moving around and
    >first person for taking the shots, binoculars etc. I'd have preferred first
    >person thoughout obviously but as a sniping fans this is the only game that
    >seems to have been made specifically for us so far and beggars can't be
    >choosers eh?

    Kewl. I love this paragraph:

    "Where handling a sniper rifle in most War games is a simple matter of
    zooming in and lining up the cross hairs, Sniper Elite takes combat to the
    next level. When starting a single player mission it is important to take
    note of the difficulty setting. There are four levels of expertise that
    adjust five separate variables of realistic sniping. Each bullet is affected
    by gravity, wind, posture, heart rate, and breathing making lining up the
    perfect kill at the highest difficulty setting an art form that requires
    careful consideration. It is also possible to change the level of enemy A.I.
    and adjust the blast radius of a grenade from realistic (8 yards) to
    Hollywood (20 yards)."

    YUM! :))) And this one has sold me:

    "Each level includes a running tally of scored points that can be uploaded
    and compared with other Snipers. Extra points are given for covert kills,
    long range headshots, and the badass technique of lining up troops for
    multiple kills with the same bullet. This adds a completely separate
    dimension to sniping. Anyone can complete a series of basic mission
    objectives but having statistics for accuracy, longest shot, and a
    four-for-one bonus gives the single player game a competitive aspect."

    This sounds great. Hope the execution is anywhere near these promises.

    >Current favourite sniper rifle is the commando in Counter-Strike Source.
    >Pick a perch and back up the rest of the team... nice.

    He, he - why I loved Covert Ops in Wolf:ET so much ;)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

    >>> The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as
    >>> in Half-Life.
    >>>

    >> You could well be right - been a long time.... a very long time...
    >
    > He is. I'm replaying those two games now using Steam(new widescreen mode
    > for my laptop looks sweet!) and it was Opposing Force that had wrench.

    Thanks both. Starting to get the itch to play them all through again now...
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:48:28 -0500, "Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote:

    >> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
    >> feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
    >
    >The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as in
    >Half-Life.
    >
    >Now the military knife in OF was as worthless as the knife in Serious Sam.
    >
    >The only memorable melee weapons, for me, are in Riddick: EfBB and a few
    >from SS2. The lightsaber in the Jedi Knight series were a given, and as
    >mentioned above, the Force powers were much more fun to use. (BTW, I
    >recently tried replaying JKII and ended up quitting about halfway through.
    >Just got dull after a while.)

    Which one do you mean?

    Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight
    or
    Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast?

    Just curious, because frankly, despite how everyone else seemed to
    love DK2:JF I never really warmed up to it. Oh sure, it was Star Wars
    (which is a plus in my book; Lucas brainwashed me well), the
    technology behind the huge levels were great and the story and even
    some parts of the levels were interesting. That was enough to get me
    to play through the game several times, but doing so sometimes felt
    like a chore (Must... play... Star Wars game!) Iits poor graphics
    (even for the time) and poor pacing and atmosphere meant it never
    really absorbed me as its predecessor did. Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi
    Outcast failed in other areas (largely gameplay), but it felt a lot
    more like being in the Star Wars universe, and even though JK2-JO's
    gameplay ultimately was as repetive and unappealing as *its*
    predecessor, it still was much more fun for me than DF2:JK

    So to hear someone (maybe) say that they too found DF2:JK boring,
    well, it makes me think I'm not completely insane.

    Of course, if you meant JK2:JO, ignore the above :-)

    Incidentally, the best FPS weapon, bar none, was the Doom chainsaw.
    When you got that puppy, ooooh yeah, you knew you were gonna have fun.
    Remember when you first came across it in E1M3 and the thing slowly
    lifts into view? You *know* you grinned like a maniac. No weapon since
    then has matched that feeling.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: Sketch <no@nah.nut> in dg1vi2$7ki$1@news.tamu.edu
    >> I'm playing the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I
    >> sure hope my Barney Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!
    >
    > Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow.
    > Only one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if
    > you find the one nest tucked away.
    >
    > Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
    > However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That and
    > Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved holding
    > down the fire button on that one and have it charge up in the guy's
    > hand until he could barely hold on to it and then it would let out a
    > respectable energy burst (for a self-recharging weapon).

    or the alt fire on the phaser in elite force, it turned into a
    disruptor, or was that the compression rifle?

    --
    Is reading in the bathroom considered multi-tasking?

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I meant JK2: JO. I never finished DF2:JK. There was some puzzle I couldn't
    figure out, and I didn't have the sense to look up a walkthrough or a cheat
    online at the time. Then, IIRC, I had a harddrive crash on me, plus I was in
    the middle of a big website project, and I never got around to reloading it
    and replaying it. The original AVP occupied my time from then on. Much more
    engaging for my post-undergraduate, I-need-a-FPS-fix mindset at the time.

    JK: JA's only saving graces were the dual-sabers and the acrobatic moves you
    could pull off. Probably was more fun on an Xbox with a controller.
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Thanks both. Starting to get the itch to play them all through again
    > now...

    Just did that myself a few weeks ago. OF is still as solid as ever (my
    fourth time through it), but BS just felt like a semi-polished mod.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I loved the sniper rifle from UT. I got good enough with it that I
    could snap off head shots while running and jumping. We used to play
    LAN games at an office I worked in (only during lunch hour, of
    course), and after a couple of times, the game became "keep Nick from
    getting the sniper gun."

    </boast>

    The DOOM shotgun was great, too.

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

    Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Mon, 12 Sep 2005
    09:10:16 +1000, Anno Domini:

    >Quoth The Raven: Sketch <no@nah.nut> in dg1vi2$7ki$1@news.tamu.edu
    >>> I'm playing the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I
    >>> sure hope my Barney Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!
    >>
    >> Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow.
    >> Only one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if
    >> you find the one nest tucked away.
    >>
    >> Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
    >> However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That and
    >> Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved holding
    >> down the fire button on that one and have it charge up in the guy's
    >> hand until he could barely hold on to it and then it would let out a
    >> respectable energy burst (for a self-recharging weapon).
    >
    >or the alt fire on the phaser in elite force, it turned into a
    >disruptor, or was that the compression rifle?

    The phaser it was - concentrated disruptor beam that drained the phaser in
    like 1.5 secs. But it was nice :)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
    7bu9i1dmeinv1ml3f1l1pel9368fkggv52@4ax.com
    > Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Mon, 12 Sep
    > 2005 09:10:16 +1000, Anno Domini:
    >
    >> Quoth The Raven: Sketch <no@nah.nut> in dg1vi2$7ki$1@news.tamu.edu
    >>>
    >>> Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow.
    >>> Only one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if
    >>> you find the one nest tucked away.
    >>>
    >>> Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
    >>> However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That
    >>> and Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved
    >>> holding down the fire button on that one and have it charge up in
    >>> the guy's hand until he could barely hold on to it and then it
    >>> would let out a respectable energy burst (for a self-recharging
    >>> weapon).
    >>
    >> or the alt fire on the phaser in elite force, it turned into a
    >> disruptor, or was that the compression rifle?
    >
    > The phaser it was - concentrated disruptor beam that drained the
    > phaser in like 1.5 secs. But it was nice :)

    it even had the enemy scream as they were atomically torn apart

    --
    When I was young, I kissed my first woman, and smoked my first
    cigarette on the same day. I have never had time for tobacco since. -

    Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

PC gaming Games Consoles IBM Video Games