  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 10, 2005 4:39:29 AM

What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
console games both fine)

More about : favorite hand weapons

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:21:43 PM

> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
> console games both fine)

No question.
The RC-P90 from Goldeneye . One in each hand...goodnight Vienna.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:24:08 PM

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
> console games both fine)

No such thing as "console" here :)

Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo, the
pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool. Grenade
launchers are good in general :)  The variety of weaps and their respective
properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days. In the
above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM
etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time
favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the
games!
McG.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 10, 2005 3:24:09 PM

> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo, the
> pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool. Grenade
> launchers are good in general :)  The variety of weaps and their
> respective properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days.
> In the above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game (SP,
> MPDM etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all
> time favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in
> ALL the games!
> McG.

The one that sticks out for me is HL's Crossbow as well. It's one-shot
kill, and that *thunk* sound when releasing the arrow is strangely
satisfying.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 4:02:10 PM

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>console games both fine)

Depends on the game, and most games I have no favorite.
Off the top of my head:
Red Faction: tossup between the silenced pistol and the sniper rifles.
Oni: Plasma Rifle, no question about it.
NOLF: sniper rifle
GTA: VC+SA: Chain gun
Half-Life: The alien swarm gun thing, because it had infinite ammo,
albeit a very small "clip"
Unreal: The blaster pistol - same reason

Xocyll
September 10, 2005 8:11:10 PM

>> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo,
>> the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool.
>> Grenade launchers are good in general :)  The variety of weaps and their
>> respective properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days.
>> In the above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game
>> (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my
>> personal all time favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to
>> see that in ALL the games!
>> McG.
>
> The one that sticks out for me is HL's Crossbow as well. It's one-shot
> kill, and that *thunk* sound when releasing the arrow is strangely
> satisfying.

The crossbow in HL2 is *good*, but c'mon now, red-hot rebar?!?!? The
enemies do tend to stick around better when its used on em! ;)  I'm playing
the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I sure hope my Barney
Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!
McG.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 9:38:31 PM

Alai wrote:
> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
> console games both fine)

Guns.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 9:38:32 PM

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Alai wrote:
>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>> console games both fine)
>
> Guns.

With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
McG.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:39:42 PM

Quoth The Raven: Alai <iamhere@overthere.net> in
TcydnXLyK4MvEL_eRVn-ow@comcast.com
> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc
> or console games both fine)

well that all depends on the game designer as to how effective, visually
and audibly, the weapon is. my fave is still doomII's double barrel
shotgun for one shot kills, and the way it makes you dodge while
reloading for the next kill
--
Writing is like getting married. One should never commit oneself until
one is amazed at one's luck. - Iris Murdoch

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
September 10, 2005 10:56:46 PM

> "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Alai wrote:
>>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>>> console games both fine)
>>
>> Guns.
>
> With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
> McG.

Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
With - Original Dooms shotgun
September 10, 2005 10:56:47 PM

>> "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Guns.
>>
>> With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
>> McG.
>>

> Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
> With - Original Dooms shotgun

Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:27:57 AM

Quoth The Raven: redTed <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> in
blzUe.2886$Q%2.1278@newsfe1-win.ntli.net
>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc
>> or console games both fine)
>
> No question.
> The RC-P90 from Goldeneye . One in each hand...goodnight Vienna.

the golden gun from goldeneye!

--
Orchestras only need to be sworn at, and a German is consequently at an
advantage with them, as English profanity, except in America, has not

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:29:00 AM

i used to love the bee gun in HL1
--
I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, they are
more screwed up than you think.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:29:01 AM

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>i used to love the bee gun in HL1
> --
> I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, they are
> more screwed up than you think.
>
> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Wow, I'd forgot about that one. It was really fun and in some situations
the only one that didn't run out of ammo :)
McG.
September 11, 2005 1:41:35 AM

Thus spake "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
11:24:08 GMT, Anno Domini:

>"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>> console games both fine)
>>

>No such thing as "console" here :)
>
>Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In Halo, the
>pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are cool. Grenade
>launchers are good in general :)  The variety of weaps and their respective
>properties are usually fitted well to the gameplay these days. In the
>above mentioned games, it will depend on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM
>etc) as to what becomes the 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time
>favorite weapon is the scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the
>games!
>McG.

This is a really stoopid thread, but, if you can't beat em...:

- BFG2000
- any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
memory)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 11, 2005 1:41:36 AM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message

> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
> memory)

Wandering OT but I'm looking forward to trying sniper elite...
September 11, 2005 3:15:11 AM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
wrote:

>What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>console games both fine)

The cannon from Serious Sam.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 3:37:43 AM

Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
4hh5i1hfg69gl39s41prhdnip66q9b4867@4ax.com
> Thus spake "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
> 11:24:08 GMT, Anno Domini:
>

>> "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
>>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action
>>> games?(pc or console games both fine)
>>>

>> No such thing as "console" here :)
>>
>> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In
>> Halo, the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are
>> cool. Grenade launchers are good in general :)  The variety of
>> weaps and their respective properties are usually fitted well to the
>> gameplay these days. In the above mentioned games, it will depend
>> on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the
>> 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time favorite weapon is the
>> scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the games!
>> McG.
>
> This is a really stoopid thread, but, if you can't beat em...:
>
> - BFG2000
> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out
> in memory)

I've come across some terrible sniper rifles, like in FARCRY, man you
had to hold your breath, crouch as low as possible and you still
wondered all over the place. even after adding some hacks it was hard to
use.

--
People will believe anything if you whisper it.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 3:38:41 AM

Quoth The Raven: McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> in
m%zUe.1011$h02.487@tornado.texas.rr.com
> "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>> i used to love the bee gun in HL1
>> --
>> I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others, they are
>> more screwed up than you think.
>>
>> Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
>>

> Wow, I'd forgot about that one. It was really fun and in some
> situations the only one that didn't run out of ammo :)
> McG.

precisely, and as they homed in on the enemy, it was the cheatenist
weapon ever!

--
The most effective answer to an insult is silence.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
September 11, 2005 3:38:42 AM

Blood1's Flare Gun.

rms
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:05:07 AM

Quoth The Raven: Alai <iamhere@overthere.net> in
6sadnVpOTcuveL_eRVn-jg@comcast.com
>> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In
>> Halo, the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are
>> cool. Grenade launchers are good in general :)  The variety of
>> weaps and their respective properties are usually fitted well to the
>> gameplay these days. In the above mentioned games, it will depend on
>> the map, type of game (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the
>> 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time favorite weapon is the
>> scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the games!
>> McG.
>
> The one that sticks out for me is HL's Crossbow as well. It's
> one-shot kill, and that *thunk* sound when releasing the arrow is
> strangely satisfying.

and being the only descent scoped weapon made it ideal, especially
second fire mode with explosives

--
Psssst! Hey you! Look out! Behind you!

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
September 11, 2005 5:59:11 AM

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> With ammo or without? Hmm? ;)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
>> With - Original Dooms shotgun
>
> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
> feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.

Yeah - right click to hold it back a little longer - let go and bang! Loads
more power behind the swing...
September 11, 2005 10:02:44 AM

"Shawk" wrote

> Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench

The force in the JK games. I love getting stormtroopers in a choke grip and
flinging them off someplace high

> With - Original Dooms shotgun

Quake2s plasma rifle
September 11, 2005 10:02:45 AM

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Shawk" wrote
>
>> Without - HL1's crowbar or wrench
>
> The force in the JK games. I love getting stormtroopers in a choke grip
> and flinging them off someplace high

never played em..

>> With - Original Dooms shotgun
>
> Quake2s plasma rifle

yeah - nice gun..
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:21:18 PM

Quoth The Raven: Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> in
ug06i198r9h5t1lbnr5fr4eseiu23rif3s@4ax.com
> GTA: VC+SA: Chain gun

damn, i have seen that one
--
Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went
nuts. - Stephen Wright

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 1:27:00 PM

Quoth The Raven: rob <roball@xtra.co.nz> in
7dFUe.10426$iM2.949319@news.xtra.co.nz
> The force in the JK games. I love getting stormtroopers in a choke
> grip and flinging them off someplace high

YES! and push as well, just shove them off a ledge to their deaths

--
Girlfriend pregnant ! (M)arry, (I)gnore, (A)bort

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
September 11, 2005 4:43:59 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote:

>|What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>|console games both fine)

DukeNukem = Pipe Bombs, Shrink Gun.
Kingpin = Flamethrower

Pluvious
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 4:54:37 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

>> The trick is to use the thermal vision. One hit kill, through a wall.
>>
>> I know someone who made an 11-hit kill with one railgun shot - all he did
>> was aim at the massive heat blob for that many kills. Unfortunately, half
>> of the blob were teammates.
>>
> What "thermal vision"? In a Quake game?!

He must be talking about the rail gun in Red Faction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction

Dennis
September 11, 2005 5:12:20 PM

> DukeNukem = Pipe Bombs, Shrink Gun.
> Kingpin = Flamethrower
>

> Pluvious

Woohoo!~ some oldies yet goodies. Devastator from Duke 3D was cool too.
It actually *looked* very cool.
September 11, 2005 5:48:28 PM

> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
> feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.

The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as in
Half-Life.

Now the military knife in OF was as worthless as the knife in Serious Sam.

The only memorable melee weapons, for me, are in Riddick: EfBB and a few
from SS2. The lightsaber in the Jedi Knight series were a given, and as
mentioned above, the Force powers were much more fun to use. (BTW, I
recently tried replaying JKII and ended up quitting about halfway through.
Just got dull after a while.)
September 11, 2005 6:12:03 PM

> I'm playing the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I sure
> hope my Barney Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!

Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow. Only
one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if you find the
one nest tucked away.

Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That and
Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved holding down the
fire button on that one and have it charge up in the guy's hand until he
could barely hold on to it and then it would let out a respectable energy
burst (for a self-recharging weapon).
September 11, 2005 6:25:06 PM

Minigun from AvP2. Shredded anything that moved.

Bow in the Thief series. Very versatile.

Plasma Rifle in Doom 3. I love the little recharging whine when you drop in
a new cell. In comparison, the BFG was overkill. And since I'm on Doom 3, I
tended to like the Grabber in RoE better than the Gravity Gun in Half-Life
2. Seemed more realistic that you only had a few seconds to hold and throw
an object. Also deflected stuff really well.

Electric Alien Bug in Opposing Force. Same concept as the Hornet Gun in
Half-Life, but with a faster rate of fire.

Stakegun in Painkiller. "Splat!" :)

Acid Gun in Will Rock. "Shoonk...Brrrrrrrt...Pop!" Good times.

Land Shark Gun and the Topsy Turvy Bombs in Armed & Dangerous. Just fun
little weapons.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 6:26:21 PM

Quoth The Raven: stoic <foo@foo.com> in
u787i1lkb0k25dr1jsuev88vpjb58gq4b6@4ax.com
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
> wrote:
>
>> What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc
>> or console games both fine)
>>

> The cannon from Serious Sam.

yeah, i did the ammo cheat with that one, and played bowling with the
buggers as they came in swarms

--
Contrary to popular belief ostriches never stick their heads in the
sand.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
September 11, 2005 7:24:04 PM

Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
23:37:43 +1000, Anno Domini:

>Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
>4hh5i1hfg69gl39s41prhdnip66q9b4867@4ax.com
>> Thus spake "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005
>> 11:24:08 GMT, Anno Domini:
>>

>>> "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> No such thing as "console" here :)
>>>
>>> Crossbow, magnum revolver, gravity gun in the HL type games. In
>>> Halo, the pistol and sniper rifle. In Far Cry most of the weaps are
>>> cool. Grenade launchers are good in general :)  The variety of
>>> weaps and their respective properties are usually fitted well to the
>>> gameplay these days. In the above mentioned games, it will depend
>>> on the map, type of game (SP, MPDM etc) as to what becomes the
>>> 'favorite' weapon. But my personal all time favorite weapon is the
>>> scoped crossbow. Would love to see that in ALL the games!
>>> McG.
>>
>> This is a really stoopid thread, but, if you can't beat em...:
>>
>> - BFG2000
>> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out
>> in memory)
>
>I've come across some terrible sniper rifles, like in FARCRY, man you
>had to hold your breath, crouch as low as possible and you still
>wondered all over the place. even after adding some hacks it was hard to
>use.

I recall it being quite useable, with no hacks...hmmm...might have to run it
(still have it installed) to see what you mean. The best one was the
nightvision one in RTCW - that rocked! The SOF one was just too easy - you
could virtually play the whole game with it if you cheated with ammo.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 11, 2005 7:26:03 PM

Thus spake "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:00:03
+0100, Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>
>> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
>> memory)
>>

>Wandering OT but I'm looking forward to trying sniper elite...

Hmmm...do tell pls? Any links? Man, I love a nice sniper rifle (could you
tell? ;) . Actually, one fps I loved but forgot to mention is Serious Sam - I
*know* there was some gnarly weapons in that one but they just escape my
memory (apart from the sniper rifle which had GREAT sound & kick :) .

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 11, 2005 7:26:04 PM

> Thus spake "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:00:03
> +0100, Anno Domini:
>

>>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>>> - any sniper rifle in any fps (SOF, RTCW, Wolf:ET, OpFlash stand out in
>>> memory)
>>>

>>Wandering OT but I'm looking forward to trying sniper elite...
>
> Hmmm...do tell pls? Any links? Man, I love a nice sniper rifle (could you
> tell? ;) . Actually, one fps I loved but forgot to mention is Serious Sam -
> *know* there was some gnarly weapons in that one but they just escape my
> memory (apart from the sniper rifle which had GREAT sound & kick :) .

http://pc.ign.com/articles/637/637015p1.html

This is a preview. The game seems to be third person for moving around and
first person for taking the shots, binoculars etc. I'd have preferred first
person thoughout obviously but as a sniping fans this is the only game that
seems to have been made specifically for us so far and beggars can't be
choosers eh?

Current favourite sniper rifle is the commando in Counter-Strike Source.
Pick a perch and back up the rest of the team... nice.
September 11, 2005 7:31:05 PM

Thus spake stoic <foo@foo.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:15:11 -0400, Anno
Domini:

>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
>wrote:
>
>>What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>>console games both fine)
>>

>The cannon from Serious Sam.

Bingo! THAT'S the one! :) ))

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 11, 2005 7:31:06 PM

> Thus spake stoic <foo@foo.com>, Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:15:11 -0400, Anno
> Domini:
>
>>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:39:29 -0700, "Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>What are some of your favorite hand-held weapons in action games?(pc or
>>>console games both fine)
>>>

>>The cannon from Serious Sam.
>
> Bingo! THAT'S the one! :) ))

LOL! Yeah, I'm like Highlandish there, I cheated and used it for bowling
:)
It was fun. The croteam put some fun stuff in the game.
McG.

> --
> A killfile is a friend for life.
>
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 9:46:13 PM

The Painkiller. Handheld food processor/projectile/beam weapon.

Oh, and the sparq beam in System Shock.
September 12, 2005 1:05:28 AM

"Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote in message news:D g1u5u$5e2$1@news.tamu.edu...
>> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I
>> could feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
>
> The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as in
> Half-Life.

You could well be right - been a long time.... a very long time...
September 12, 2005 1:05:29 AM

> "Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote in message news:D g1u5u$5e2$1@news.tamu.edu...
>>> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I
>>> could feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
>>
>> The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as
>> in Half-Life.
>>

> You could well be right - been a long time.... a very long time...

He is. I'm replaying those two games now using Steam(new widescreen mode
for my laptop looks sweet!) and it was Opposing Force that had wrench.
September 12, 2005 1:17:31 AM

Thus spake "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>, Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:31:35
+0100, Anno Domini:

>http://pc.ign.com/articles/637/637015p1.html
>
>This is a preview. The game seems to be third person for moving around and
>first person for taking the shots, binoculars etc. I'd have preferred first
>person thoughout obviously but as a sniping fans this is the only game that
>seems to have been made specifically for us so far and beggars can't be
>choosers eh?

Kewl. I love this paragraph:

"Where handling a sniper rifle in most War games is a simple matter of
zooming in and lining up the cross hairs, Sniper Elite takes combat to the
next level. When starting a single player mission it is important to take
note of the difficulty setting. There are four levels of expertise that
adjust five separate variables of realistic sniping. Each bullet is affected
by gravity, wind, posture, heart rate, and breathing making lining up the
perfect kill at the highest difficulty setting an art form that requires
careful consideration. It is also possible to change the level of enemy A.I.
and adjust the blast radius of a grenade from realistic (8 yards) to
Hollywood (20 yards)."

YUM! :) )) And this one has sold me:

"Each level includes a running tally of scored points that can be uploaded
and compared with other Snipers. Extra points are given for covert kills,
long range headshots, and the badass technique of lining up troops for
multiple kills with the same bullet. This adds a completely separate
dimension to sniping. Anyone can complete a series of basic mission
objectives but having statistics for accuracy, longest shot, and a
four-for-one bonus gives the single player game a competitive aspect."

This sounds great. Hope the execution is anywhere near these promises.

>Current favourite sniper rifle is the commando in Counter-Strike Source.
>Pick a perch and back up the rest of the team... nice.

He, he - why I loved Covert Ops in Wolf:ET so much ;)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 12, 2005 4:15:22 AM

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

>>> The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as
>>> in Half-Life.
>>>

>> You could well be right - been a long time.... a very long time...
>
> He is. I'm replaying those two games now using Steam(new widescreen mode
> for my laptop looks sweet!) and it was Opposing Force that had wrench.

Thanks both. Starting to get the itch to play them all through again now...
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:00:06 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:48:28 -0500, "Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote:

>> Ooh, that new wrench from blue shift was really cool. I felt that I could
>> feel the heaviness of the wrench while wielding it.
>
>The wrench was in Opposing Force. Blue Shift used the crowbar again, as in
>Half-Life.
>
>Now the military knife in OF was as worthless as the knife in Serious Sam.
>
>The only memorable melee weapons, for me, are in Riddick: EfBB and a few
>from SS2. The lightsaber in the Jedi Knight series were a given, and as
>mentioned above, the Force powers were much more fun to use. (BTW, I
>recently tried replaying JKII and ended up quitting about halfway through.
>Just got dull after a while.)

Which one do you mean?

Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight
or
Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast?

Just curious, because frankly, despite how everyone else seemed to
love DK2:JF I never really warmed up to it. Oh sure, it was Star Wars
(which is a plus in my book; Lucas brainwashed me well), the
technology behind the huge levels were great and the story and even
some parts of the levels were interesting. That was enough to get me
to play through the game several times, but doing so sometimes felt
like a chore (Must... play... Star Wars game!) Iits poor graphics
(even for the time) and poor pacing and atmosphere meant it never
really absorbed me as its predecessor did. Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi
Outcast failed in other areas (largely gameplay), but it felt a lot
more like being in the Star Wars universe, and even though JK2-JO's
gameplay ultimately was as repetive and unappealing as *its*
predecessor, it still was much more fun for me than DF2:JK

So to hear someone (maybe) say that they too found DF2:JK boring,
well, it makes me think I'm not completely insane.

Of course, if you meant JK2:JO, ignore the above :-)

Incidentally, the best FPS weapon, bar none, was the Doom chainsaw.
When you got that puppy, ooooh yeah, you knew you were gonna have fun.
Remember when you first came across it in E1M3 and the thing slowly
lifts into view? You *know* you grinned like a maniac. No weapon since
then has matched that feeling.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:10:16 PM

Quoth The Raven: Sketch <no@nah.nut> in dg1vi2$7ki$1@news.tamu.edu
>> I'm playing the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I
>> sure hope my Barney Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!
>
> Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow.
> Only one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if
> you find the one nest tucked away.
>
> Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
> However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That and
> Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved holding
> down the fire button on that one and have it charge up in the guy's
> hand until he could barely hold on to it and then it would let out a
> respectable energy burst (for a self-recharging weapon).

or the alt fire on the phaser in elite force, it turned into a
disruptor, or was that the compression rifle?

--
Is reading in the bathroom considered multi-tasking?

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
September 12, 2005 3:20:40 PM

I meant JK2: JO. I never finished DF2:JK. There was some puzzle I couldn't
figure out, and I didn't have the sense to look up a walkthrough or a cheat
online at the time. Then, IIRC, I had a harddrive crash on me, plus I was in
the middle of a big website project, and I never got around to reloading it
and replaying it. The original AVP occupied my time from then on. Much more
engaging for my post-undergraduate, I-need-a-FPS-fix mindset at the time.

JK: JA's only saving graces were the dual-sabers and the acrobatic moves you
could pull off. Probably was more fun on an Xbox with a controller.
September 12, 2005 3:27:22 PM

> Thanks both. Starting to get the itch to play them all through again
> now...

Just did that myself a few weeks ago. OF is still as solid as ever (my
fourth time through it), but BS just felt like a semi-polished mod.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:11:33 PM

I loved the sniper rifle from UT. I got good enough with it that I
could snap off head shots while running and jumping. We used to play
LAN games at an office I worked in (only during lunch hour, of
course), and after a couple of times, the game became "keep Nick from
getting the sniper gun."

</boast>

The DOOM shotgun was great, too.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Mon, 12 Sep 2005
09:10:16 +1000, Anno Domini:

>Quoth The Raven: Sketch <no@nah.nut> in dg1vi2$7ki$1@news.tamu.edu
>>> I'm playing the HL games over and Blue Shift for the first time. I
>>> sure hope my Barney Calhoon can use the crossbow!!!
>>
>> Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow.
>> Only one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if
>> you find the one nest tucked away.
>>
>> Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
>> However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That and
>> Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved holding
>> down the fire button on that one and have it charge up in the guy's
>> hand until he could barely hold on to it and then it would let out a
>> respectable energy burst (for a self-recharging weapon).
>
>or the alt fire on the phaser in elite force, it turned into a
>disruptor, or was that the compression rifle?

The phaser it was - concentrated disruptor beam that drained the phaser in
like 1.5 secs. But it was nice :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

September 12, 2005 8:27:49 PM

Quoth The Raven: Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
7bu9i1dmeinv1ml3f1l1pel9368fkggv52@4ax.com
> Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>, Mon, 12 Sep
> 2005 09:10:16 +1000, Anno Domini:
>
>> Quoth The Raven: Sketch <no@nah.nut> in dg1vi2$7ki$1@news.tamu.edu
>>>
>>> Sorry to disappoint, but Barn doesn't get to play with the crossbow.
>>> Only one alien weapon, too, the Snarks. And even then it's only if
>>> you find the one nest tucked away.
>>>
>>> Opposing Force replaced the crossbow with the military sniper rifle.
>>> However, the .357 Magnum with the laser sight made up for it. That
>>> and Unreal 2's recharging sidearm are two of my fav's. I loved
>>> holding down the fire button on that one and have it charge up in
>>> the guy's hand until he could barely hold on to it and then it
>>> would let out a respectable energy burst (for a self-recharging
>>> weapon).
>>
>> or the alt fire on the phaser in elite force, it turned into a
>> disruptor, or was that the compression rifle?
>
> The phaser it was - concentrated disruptor beam that drained the
> phaser in like 1.5 secs. But it was nice :)

it even had the enemy scream as they were atomically torn apart

--
When I was young, I kissed my first woman, and smoked my first
cigarette on the same day. I have never had time for tobacco since. -

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest