goddamnit

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
Can I use my HDD with XP installed on it, on a new mobo and cpu, or do I have to re-install the OS?
I mean will XP safely detect the new hardware or will it crash....
I'm pretty sure it wont work due to HAL etc but I would like confirmation.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Im pretty sure it wont work. During installation the OS makes all kinds of HW detection and installs proper chipset drivers etc.

When I made my new computer a few weeks back, I had my old HD connected as slave. When I first turned on the PC, it started booting on the slave, since the master was not formatted. During load of the OS I got the BSOD or something equivalent.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
you can try... but windows will toss a hissy fit of large magnitude!
i tried when i replaced my motherboard, and i ended up having to reinstall ALL the drivers for the hardware, and it still didnt run properly. In the end it was easier to reinstall windows from scratch, allthough u could well do a reinstall over the top of the old one, and keep all your programs/link/setup etc.

<b><font color=green>A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing! :lol: </b></font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, this is one of the new "features" of Windows XP to encourage people to "upgrade" from Windows98SE. With 98SE, all you had to do was remove all devices from device manager and let Windows redetect them, but in XP you have to reload the OS from scratch.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehehe
win2k just tosses a hissy fit and tries to reinstall them for you, usually getting it wrong and THEN crashing terminally! :smile:

<b>"True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth."</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, that was only a minor improvement over the Win98SE actually working after a motherboard change, WinXP is supposed to force you to reregister, etc.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>