Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. Ball Puzzle

OK not sure if anyone here has played this or tried it but I've
since sorted out the bug problem in the game by reinstalling
it and seems to have fixed my problem........

I'm stuck on a puzzle..

12 balls numbered 1 - 12

You have to place them on a set of scales to find out
one unique weighted ball. You can either do it by
moving 8 onto the scales 4 each side or the whole lot
and then use trial and error....

Damn frustrating and there's 50 more puzzles to go including
the tower of hanoi. Thankfully one I can solve .

"Kissing Lettuce" <sittingbythepool@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> OK not sure if anyone here has played this or tried it but I've
> since sorted out the bug problem in the game by reinstalling
> it and seems to have fixed my problem........
>
> I'm stuck on a puzzle..
>
> 12 balls numbered 1 - 12
>
> You have to place them on a set of scales to find out
> one unique weighted ball. You can either do it by
> moving 8 onto the scales 4 each side or the whole lot
> and then use trial and error....
>
> Damn frustrating and there's 50 more puzzles to go including
> the tower of hanoi. Thankfully one I can solve .

It would be easier if you knew the odd ball to be heavier or lighter, but
not knowing will just add another step. Put 4 on each side. If they don't
balance, you know the odd ball is among them. Take the 4 off the heavy side
and put the 4 remaining on that side. If they still don't balance,you have
a lighter odd ball on the light side. If the second set of 4 brings it into
balance, then you know that your odd ball is heavier and is among the 4 you
took off the scale. Now that you know which group of 4 holds your ball,
split this group with 2 on each side of the scale. If your odd ball is
light, split the light side again, with one on each side. If your odd ball
is heavy, do it with the 2 on the heavy side. There, you've found your one
unique weighted ball. If, at the beginning, the 4 on each side do balance
then you know that the odd ball is among the 4 you haven't scaled yet.
Putting that 4 on the scale against either group of balanced balls will tell
you whether your odd ball is heavier or lighter, then proceed from there as
above.

KCB wrote:

> "Kissing Lettuce" <sittingbythepool@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> > OK not sure if anyone here has played this or tried it but I've
> > since sorted out the bug problem in the game by reinstalling
> > it and seems to have fixed my problem........
> >
> > I'm stuck on a puzzle..
> >
> > 12 balls numbered 1 - 12
> >
> > You have to place them on a set of scales to find out
> > one unique weighted ball. You can either do it by
> > moving 8 onto the scales 4 each side or the whole lot
> > and then use trial and error....
> >
> > Damn frustrating and there's 50 more puzzles to go including
> > the tower of hanoi. Thankfully one I can solve .
> >

> It would be easier if you knew the odd ball to be heavier or lighter, but
> not knowing will just add another step. Put 4 on each side. If they don't
> balance, you know the odd ball is among them. Take the 4 off the heavy side
> and put the 4 remaining on that side. If they still don't balance,you have
> a lighter odd ball on the light side. If the second set of 4 brings it into
> balance, then you know that your odd ball is heavier and is among the 4 you
> took off the scale. Now that you know which group of 4 holds your ball,
> split this group with 2 on each side of the scale. If your odd ball is
> light, split the light side again, with one on each side. If your odd ball
> is heavy, do it with the 2 on the heavy side. There, you've found your one
> unique weighted ball. If, at the beginning, the 4 on each side do balance
> then you know that the odd ball is among the 4 you haven't scaled yet.
> Putting that 4 on the scale against either group of balanced balls will tell
> you whether your odd ball is heavier or lighter, then proceed from there as
> above.

Wouldn't you know it?

Tried this game again after a good night and day away from the PC
and it worked.... Though I tried a different tactic from what you suggest
which by the way works perfectly. Thankyou

What I did was put 6 balls in each scale and then one side was lighter
then the other so I took out all the balls from the lighter side and then
split the ones on the heavy side and did another weighing....

Did one more after that and in two weighings I got the right one. The
correct ball goes into your inventory and is marked "white ball, Unique specimen
very hard to find"