Microphone Connection Issue

B O Scribble

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I just placed an order for parts to build a new desktop computer and my wife's one request was that it had a microphone built-in, like a laptop. I couldn't find anything to fit that requirement so I ordered a standalone plug-in microphone. Her reason for needing that is to dictate work notes.

The issue is, she uses a program over her works network (web based login, not sure if that matters). From what I can tell it is similar to a remote desktop login accept she is not connecting to a specific computer just a program on the server. When she does this on a desktop computer with an external microphone she is unable to dictate b/c the network does not carry the drivers for the microphone (I am assuming this part). She told me that some of her colleagues that use a laptop with a built-in microphone are able to use the dictation feature. If it were a driver issue wouldn't the laptop suffer similar to the plug-in microphone to a desktop?

Any ideas/thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. If there is a better forum category for this thread, would an admin be able to move it?

There is not desktop that has a built-in mic. Some monitors may have that. But a mic does not need any drivers, it just transmits sound to the input on the sound card.

You need to find out what the program requirements are. Having a built in or a stanalone mic should not matter. What may be the issue is that the mic is not working or configured. Have you tested it outside of that program?

If you have a broken car and your friends have 3 cars that work, and those 3 people own dogs, would you assume that buying a dog will fix your car? That's the same thing that thinking that a built-in mic is the reason the other people can work. It "MAY" be that, but doubt it. You can get a web cam with a mic to hang over the monitor, that would use a USB connection instead of the mic in on the sound card. That may help.

B O Scribble

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Thank you for the reply. Your analogy is perfect, and trust me I tried explaining numerous times that just b/c the mic is built into the laptop is not the reason it is working for others. And if you have a girlfriend or a wife, you know that if they feel they are 100% correct you are never going to win that battle. Best thing for me to do is agree with what she is saying and tell her I will look into the built in mic. I just might have to use this analogy on her. Thanks again.