PSK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I use 2 sticks of 256 Kingmaxx PC2700 in my pc. It's rated at CL2.5 but I had hoped I could tweak it up to CL2.0. Unfortunately it is [-peep-] and can't hack the more aggressive timing. The best I can get stable is 2.5,3,3,6.I even upped the voltage to 2.7v and it managed to barely boot windows at CL2.0 but was highly unstable.

Should I try 2.9v or is that a bit harsh on the ram?
Could it do damage to the board at these voltages or is it just risking the ram?
Any opnions or suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance.

I wish I'd bought Samsung.

Cooldoud

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Theorically, the mainboard is safe, provided that your sticks dont burst throughout the mobo :)
If you remain very cautious, there should be no harm dealt while trying 2.9V, but you must be looking closely at the RAM temp, but that is a bit harsh => there is a little risk you might damage the RAM, but it should crash before burning. I suggest you post this in the OC forum, you'll get more reliable answers !

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If that memory has a copper spreader (which it should; that's all kingmax makes), and you have a side panel case fan blowing directly on the cpu/memory, then yeah. You can go to 2.9v, and it's not going to damage the memory.

But as far as overclocking, you're better off at 2.7 or 2.8, and just cooling it as best you can. Get those side panels off, and put a housefan blowing into that case, and see what you can get at 2.7v, first.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!