Installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM.

fishbulb1990

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hello all.

I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit RC 7100 build on my computer, of course it expires in June. I bought this computer from a friend who had it built and the guy put it on here. A local computer store is selling Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64-bit editions for a much much cheaper price than buying a retail version.

My question is, will I be able to perform a fresh and clean install of the OEM version on my computer now with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit RC 7100 build already installed? Is it just as simple as placing the disk in and letting it do its thing?

Thanks for the help.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
OEM versions are not for RETAIL sale. You need to buy a RETAIL version of windows 7 home premium or ultimate and do a CLEAN install by formatting your hard drive i.e. you have to totally remove your current RC version alongwith all programs installed.
As to your original question, no you'll not be able to do it.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Saran,
Ujaan: For your info, Nothing is ILLEGAL in the Paulthurrot's article!
First of all I don't seem to remember blaming you for anything!? Did I? Don't try to start war okey?
Before Commenting, Please try to Read the article fully!
You seem to have missed the line "Method #2: Registry hack" "This workaround is fully supported by Microsoft." on the article by "Paulthurrot". No LEGALLY done stuff requires kind of word like "HACK" "WORKAROUND" to describe, does it? Don't try to advice me what's LEGAL or not. Microsoft's own license does not permit this.
OgAAAAwIY_eaxdwT7_jMsGb2YE38PwnHn8mLTHE7v2qMaV956RTx2pIuCOU_7R65NkYwJ9LZp6dqeyrONA3wIAWBevYAm1T1UJdIBQE3t6IOxLZYhXAmJRDbHOYQ.jpg

saran008

Distinguished
Sorry Buddy! I am also not staring any war!

He says that Out of 3, It is our choice to choose!
most probably 1st one will easily work (Worked for me, I had XP previously, bought an upgrade of Win 7 Home pre, done a clean install following that, and first method, worked very well!

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
OEM versions are offered for sale retail all over creation. Some of the largest chain stores out there offer the OEM for those that are building a computer. I have used them for my build and have never had any issues. It is a license to use on a single system and cannot be transferred to a different computer once you have installed it.

fishbulb1990

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Yes, but my question is, should I go out and bu the retail copy OR pick up the OEM WITH an RC version of Windows 7 on the computer? Will any problems present, like aren't OEM copies meant to go on computers with no OS already installed or does it even matter?

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I would strongly recommend performing a clean install whether you are doing the OEM or Retail versions. I personally would not trust an upgrade of the RC version. Last time I did this, it took only 2-3 hours to reinstall my applications and copy my personal files over. For me that was cheap peace of mind. Given how cheap hard drives are these days, I will sometimes go out and purchase a new drive, do my clean install to it and then install the previous hard drive as a second drive. That way I can copy my files off of the old drive then reformat it to use for additional space in the system.

fishbulb1990

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Okay. SO, I will be presented with no problems when placing the disc of an OEM version in my drive with another version of Windows on the computer? Remember, this was just recently built and that RC copy was just put on there. I am not talking about upgrading the RC version, I am talking about being able to overrite the old OS with a copy of an OEM version. Another person above said it would be a waste of money to get an OEM, why?

I understand I would be doing a clean install, this computer has little to nothing important on it.

fishbulb1990

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

I thought it would be as simple as to buying the OEM version, putting the disc in, and installing it just like that. I don't know how to reformat the harddrive. Is this something I absolutley need to do before the process?

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
You should be able to delete the existing partition and create a new one. Every version of windows I have ever used allows you to do this on a full installation. I did not have to do this with Windows 7 as I went out and got an $80 hard drive and did an install, then added the original drive in as the second drive.

fishbulb1990

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Sorry for being a little computer-unfriendly guys. Excuse my somewhat irritating questions.

I will be picking up the OEM copy tomorrow. I read some guides on how to format and what-not, so I should not be presented with any problems based on what you guys have posted on this thread.

From what I read, I simply need to:

Start up my computer to desktop.
Insert the Windows 7 OEM disk.
Shut down the computer.
Restart the computer and boot from my DvD drive. (Pressing F11 to configure if it won't already do so.)
Follow the following instructions from there, very simple, very easy.

To clarify, this is all I have to do so I can leave you guys alone? :p

Additonal note: I am currently using a quad core processor and I have read that it could present some problems with Windows, any clafification on that?

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
"An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under that purchasing company's brand name. OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product."
For Example, say you brought a computer from DELL. Windows 7 came preinstalled in your pc & you can't install that OS with that particular key, which it's using to any other pc. That is an OEM version.
This is directly from Microsoft's Forum:
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carey Frisch
If you ever upgrade motherboard, OEM copy will no longer work! You probably have to purchase windows again, because Microsoft phone activation guys may or may not grant you another CD-Key! BUT with retail version it can be easily done by explaining your situation to Microsoft activation. Also in case of OEM you don't get any free technical support!
"Retail - you can install on any number of pcs but only one at a time and you can upgrade it and it won't ask you to re enter the cd key.
Oem - you can only install on one pc and it stays with that pc and if you do a big upgrade it will invalidate it and you have to call up & explain (which is of course uncertain).

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
"If you ever upgrade motherboard, OEM copy will no longer work! You probably have to purchase windows again, because Microsoft phone activation guys may or may not grant you another CD-Key!"

It is true you will have to reactivate.
It is also true that I have never had any of the Microsoft guys ever refuse to grant me an activation code.

ujaansona,
Is this something you have experienced personally?