Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 runs in safe mode, freezes in Normal

Last response: in Windows 7
May 6, 2012 9:37:46 PM

When I try to start my laptop, windows 7 hangs after a few seconds and i can only move the mouse. Ctrl-alt-del
doesn't do anything either. It runs fine in safe mode though. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this and if you know any fixes. Thanks in advance!
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2012 9:46:34 PM

Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow or red flag issues?
What non-Windows OS programs/processes do you have that autostart when Windows starts?
Score
May 6, 2012 9:55:17 PM

WR2 said:
Have you checked Device Manager for any yellow or red flag issues?
What non-Windows OS programs/processes do you have that autostart when Windows starts?

i don't have any programs that autostart. what part of the device manager?
Score
Related resources
May 7, 2012 12:12:50 AM

Open device manager start>control panel>device manager> Now on the left side there a lot of tiny triangles click all of them and see if you have red or yellow flags on anything and put the flagged info on this sight and maybe we can help you.
Jim
Score
May 7, 2012 3:37:05 PM

papagym said:
Open device manager start>control panel>device manager> Now on the left side there a lot of tiny triangles click all of them and see if you have red or yellow flags on anything and put the flagged info on this sight and maybe we can help you.
Jim

No flags in the device manager. I tried a clean boot but it still froze after that. Restoring the system to a previous point when it was working also didn't help. Malware and anti-virus scans all came up clean as well. Also forgot my system specs in the first post. Its a brand new HP Pavilion g6 with an AMD processor and Radeon graphics. 4GB RAM and 500 GB hardrive.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 3:50:47 PM

have you installed any software recently or added any new hard ware.
unplug all Peripherals, except mouse and keyboard for testing.
are u running only one anti-virus if so which one.
Score
May 7, 2012 3:58:56 PM

the great randini said:
have you installed any software recently or added any new hard ware.
unplug all Peripherals, except mouse and keyboard for testing.
are u running only one anti-virus if so which one.

I installed various software programs but made no hardware changes. I did a system restore back to before I had installed any software and it still froze up with no third party software. I scanned for viruses with both Malwarebytes and AVG.
Score
May 7, 2012 4:02:50 PM

In safe mode

Run Msconfig

Check the services and startup tabs, uncheck any program or service that is something you installed, usually that means anything that is not from Microsoft

Reboot in normal mode, if it works, one of the software or service you were using is the problem

Otherwise it's most likely a driver issue

If you did install new software or drivers recently, see if you have a system restore point before those install, otherwise uninstall those software or rollback the drivers

If the mouse still work, and you can still use it to actually start applications and such on the PC, i'd guess the problem might be the keyboard or keyboard drivers, try a USB keyboard if you have one to rule it out.
Score
May 7, 2012 4:09:00 PM

I've already restarted with a clean boot and used system restore to go back to before I installed anything. Its still freezing. I'm trying to restore it to factory settings now, hopefully that works...
Score

Best solution

May 7, 2012 4:14:49 PM

I had a similar problem with my desktop running win7. I went into my BIOS and told it to change all my settings to my default values, and that did the trick. Not sure what setting was goofed, but now everything's humming along, so I'll leave good-enough alone.
May 7, 2012 4:16:23 PM

Alright, if the factory restore doesn't work, I'll try that.
Score
May 7, 2012 4:31:30 PM

so far so good with the factory settings restore, i'm updating windows now and it hasn't frozen up yet
Score
May 7, 2012 4:34:18 PM

Try this and see what happens.
Start>Control Panel>Administrative tools>system configuration. Click on the boot tab uncheck all boxes. (you may have a check in the safe boot box make sure it is not checked) Click on Apply now click the general tab and select the normal boot and then Apply and OK. Now reboot and see if it starts. Did it start?
If you have a problem try the same thing once more (make sure you used the Apply Button after resetting boxes in each Tab). If the thing does not start unplug everything except key board, mouse and your modem (ISP/DSL) and use the same two tabs but check the safe mode and network for the boot tab and Use the sensative startup key on the general tab.

The later process should just startup the minimal process.
Score
May 7, 2012 11:27:49 PM

ok so i tired a clean boot like you guys said and it still crashed. I've now done a factory restore and everhing seems fine. I've reinstalled everything but iTunes. could that have been the problem?
Score
May 8, 2012 1:44:30 PM

Unlikely if the factory restore solved it I'd say a BIOS setting was probably to blame, I'd give credit to Terrance on this one
Score
May 8, 2012 6:10:26 PM

dalaran said:
Unlikely if the factory restore solved it I'd say a BIOS setting was probably to blame, I'd give credit to Terrance on this one

Ok. whatever it was is fixed now. its not freezing up anymore. Thanks all.
Score
May 8, 2012 6:10:50 PM

Best answer selected by yoshiji.
Score
July 6, 2012 8:34:11 AM

Yoshiji said:
Best answer selected by yoshiji.

nActually I had this problem.
n1-tI disabled all “services” and “startups” through msconfig.
n2-tAfter restart the problem was solved so I enabled just Microsoft “services” and “startups” through msconfig and another restart.
n3-tThere was no problem so I enabled some necessary “services” and “startups” such as Antivirus and another restart.
n4-tThere is no problem right now.
n
Score
July 8, 2012 4:10:59 AM

how to you reset the bios in windows 7 I can;t figure it out?
Score
July 8, 2012 8:46:46 PM

It's not doable from windows, you have to enter the BIOS while the PC is booting (usually by pressing Del or Esc or one of the F Keys, it varies depending on the motherboard)

Read what's being displayed on screen while booting (before windows starts loading), if you can't figure it out look in your motherboard manual.
Score
August 25, 2012 2:43:12 PM

I'm experiencing this problem and would like to know if either solution will cause a loss of files or programs? This is a 3 yr old DELL laptop that has always been used on a lap desk and sometimes with a cooling fan. My previous laptop stopped working due to overheating. My fear is that this has gotten hot recently as I did not shut down for several days at a time.

Suggestions? It is working well in safe mode, but I want to try and clean it up.
Score
November 8, 2012 2:37:16 PM

Hi,
This thread has been very helpful for fixing my hp pavilion g6 as well - thanks!

The system restore worked best for me:
- Boot up, hit Esc for startup options
- Select "repair computer"
- Select "system restore"
- I chose a restore point immediately prior to two events:
"Configured IDT Audio (System)" and "HPSP Applying Updates (Install)"
Restarted normally and computer was working again.

I also checked out the other options -- in msconfig, no boot options were selected, nothing was wrong in the device manager. When I disabled all startup/services in msconfig, normal startup worked. Then when I re-enabled some services, startup froze again. In the interest of time I just went for restoring the system.

@ecsteward: There was no loss of files.
Score
November 25, 2012 10:57:06 AM

ssol said:
Actually I had this problem.
1- I disabled all “services” and “startups” through msconfig.
2- After restart the problem was solved so I enabled just Microsoft “services” and “startups” through msconfig and another restart.
3- There was no problem so I enabled some necessary “services” and “startups” such as Antivirus and another restart.
4- There is no problem right now.

i did step 1 then restarted, everything works great but now i dont know which ones to enable to get internet and all that, help?

Score
November 26, 2012 2:42:03 PM

Start by Reactivating any service that's by Microsoft Corporation
Everything else after that

Ideally activate a few services at a time, 5-10 and restart, if it still works reactivate a few more and restart again, once it stops working go back and deactivate one service at a time and restart until it starts working again at which point you'll know exactly which service is causing problems.

Reactivate everything else

Depending on the service your having issues with, if you don't need it just keep it disabled, if it's linked to something you need (some software or driver you use) try uninstalling and reinstalling the linked application.
Score
December 23, 2012 12:39:12 PM

My brand new laptop began to freeze just as you described with only my mouse responding on a page just before my icons loaded. I was able to get into safe mode where everything was fine. I started to take my laptop back for a return. After reading all comments above I decided to try the least troublesome fix. I ran restore in safe mode which offered to restore before my install of Itunes. That worked great for me. No more problems. My lap is an HP ProBook 4545s.
Score
December 28, 2012 5:06:15 AM

papagym said:
Jim

As yoshiji explained my computer has the same problem so as you said i followed the instruction and i had these images of yellow triangles no red ones

(please go to the url below to see how my device manager after opening is)

http://i48.tinypic.com/jij9ms.png

Score
January 1, 2013 6:37:42 AM

Dears

I had the same issue, and it has been solved by uninstalling Bonjour software, and iTunes is working fine with me.

Thank you.
Score
January 10, 2013 8:36:08 AM

papagym said:
Jim

hey im having the same problem as this guy but i have a red flag what do i do now
Score
January 10, 2013 2:40:27 PM

Right click on the item and choose Properties

In the window that appear you should see a text box with a more precise description of the problem

Then try googling it

Honestly these things can happen for a number of reasons
1- Bad or missing driver
2- Defective hardware
3- Conflicting hardware (one piece causing problems for another) on older computers this used to happen mostly because 2 peripherals where set to use the same resources (IRQ, DMA...) but with plug-and-play these days it's rare.
4- And probably a bunch of other things too

And there's no way to be sure that it's what is causing the freezing problem
Score
January 23, 2013 2:26:17 AM

Yoshiji said:
When I try to start my laptop, windows 7 hangs after a few seconds and i can only move the mouse. Ctrl-alt-del
doesn't do anything either. It runs fine in safe mode though. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this and if you know any fixes. Thanks in advance!

if ur problm is fi x then tell me the solution
Score
January 24, 2013 12:30:41 AM

Thanks for the help guys! I had a similar problem and was convinced my HD had bust (Got a blue screen error)! But after successfully starting in safe mode, realised it couldn't be. I reset BIOS defaults, which didn't work but disabling services etc in MSCONFIG has worked. Just working my way down the list now to see which service was causing the issue. Suspect AVAST maybe!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 12:35:14 AM

imnoexpert said:
Thanks for the help guys! I had a similar problem and was convinced my HD had bust (Got a blue screen error)! But after successfully starting in safe mode, realised it couldn't be. I reset BIOS defaults, which didn't work but disabling services etc in MSCONFIG has worked. Just working my way down the list now to see which service was causing the issue. Suspect AVAST maybe!

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.
Score
January 24, 2013 4:02:48 PM

papagym said:
Jim

I see the yellow flag on 3 things:
Base Systeme Device, Intel(R) Centrino Advanced-N +WiMax 6250, PCI Simple Communication Controller.
What can I do next? Please help me :na: 
Score
January 28, 2013 3:29:49 PM

Make sure your chipset drivers are installed and up to date. Check the manufacturer website for your PC (seems to be a laptop so they should have all you need)
Score
February 10, 2013 12:42:25 PM

Okay, read all of the above.

My problem.
Works in safe mode, not in normal.
Win7, fresh instal, basic drivers are the only things on my comp.
tried BIOS default option, didnt work.
tried taking one of my 2 RAM sticks out and trying both seperatly on different points, didnt do any difference.
ummm, tried disabling the Startup in msConfig and again, no difference.
So I'm guessing a Hardware failiure.
probably not Ram.
perhaps my hard drive? but would it work in safe mode if it were the HD. ?
and I have no idea how to be sure.
could it be the Graphics ... or motherboard.

HP probook 4515s.

any info would be MUCH abliged.
Score
February 16, 2013 7:47:22 AM

Same problem as you.
I can't boot normally, but can boot in safe mode and what not.
Got a blue screen while playing skyrim, still trying to repair it now.
Is it possible that it is my graphics card? (gtx 670 ftw 4GB)
Score
March 23, 2013 6:00:59 PM

Yoshiji said:

WOW !!! I am SUDDENLY having the exact same problem !!! I have been working on it ALL DAY. I have NONE of the issues posted below, & I have tried EVERYTHING (except a Factory Restore)... Its making me crazy !!! Did you ever FIX this problem ??? I am on SAFE MODE with NETWORKING, too. BUT you CANNOT UNINSTALL & Download & RINSTALL Programs on safe mode. Which RUINS my chance to avoid a factory restore. Please respond, Thank-you.
Score
March 24, 2013 1:14:46 AM

gosh! I also got the same problem and i still cant solve it!
Score
March 29, 2013 3:02:37 AM

Yoshiji said:

Score
April 9, 2013 5:31:32 PM

i also got the same problem i always check disk driveC through safemode and works fine and i never tried to reset my bios settings
Score
April 13, 2013 9:37:47 AM

I got this same problem after a Win 7 Critical update. Wouldn't start normal. Tried repairs, no good. Did restore to several set points. Got it to Safe Start but not Normal Start. Did the BIOS reset to defaults. That worked! I blaim Microsoft!
Score
April 13, 2013 11:35:41 PM

I had the same problem. The desktop freezes after a few seconds.. In safe mode, i renamed the .net 4 folder as well as skype, firefox and avast folders in program files. The problem got solved. I reinstated all but .net folders. Windows 7 works fine now. Probably an update to .net 4 is the cause.
Score
April 14, 2013 9:38:14 PM

mukundr said:
I had the same problem. The desktop freezes after a few seconds.. In safe mode, i renamed the .net 4 folder as well as skype, firefox and avast folders in program files. The problem got solved. I reinstated all but .net folders. Windows 7 works fine now. Probably an update to .net 4 is the cause.

do you mean microsoft .net framework?
thanks
Score
June 24, 2013 2:05:26 AM

Got a similar Problem

My Laptop is new!
Fujitsu windows 7 home Pre
6GB RAM, Intel i7

Was working beautifully but all of a sudden after exitting a game I was playing it would freeze and even got a black screen. I had to turn off by the power button, turned it on again a few times and gets to desktop then freezes, mouse can move around sometimes but keeps 'thinking' and nothing opens or runs. It runs fine in safe mode. I'm currently doing a diskchck...
Please help!
Score
June 24, 2013 3:32:58 AM

Great now upon starting the laptop up again it goes to a black screen with cursor... What the hell! I can't seem to find any help anywhere :( 
Score
June 24, 2013 5:50:43 AM

Tristan Wrench said:
Great now upon starting the laptop up again it goes to a black screen with cursor... What the hell! I can't seem to find any help anywhere :( 

did you try to update your drivers? especially the video card

Score
June 24, 2013 6:07:28 AM

I've manage to get past The Black Screen of Death by starting in safe mode and disabling intel HD Graphics Family. I get into normal mode but nothing really works at all and everything just freezes. Crtl, alt, delete doesn't instead I get
"Failure to display security and shut down options. The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch." can't get into device manager, just freezes..

Apparently I have the latest update for the driver already though? I've also got a restore DVD to update or reinstall drivers and utilities on the system but the pic just won't read it at all in normal mode...

What should I do?
Score
August 8, 2013 2:39:25 AM

Terrance said:
I had a similar problem with my desktop running win7. I went into my BIOS and told it to change all my settings to my default values, and that did the trick. Not sure what setting was goofed, but now everything's humming along, so I'll leave good-enough alone.

thnxx broo.. it did the trick... solved my problem toooo
Score
August 30, 2013 11:24:56 PM

i am also experiencing the same problm.:heink:  i was able to use the system after formatting the entire hdd and i started facing the problm as i restarted windows after installing the nvidia graphics driver and realtek sound driver and some othr stock drivers.... please help.. thanks in advance.
Score
December 17, 2013 1:57:44 AM

hello there,ur idea works,i just wnt to ask how i can knw which Program needs to be updated or rollback its driver,thx,sorry for my grammar
Score
!