RIMM 8 device vs. RIMM 4 device

Mr_Roboto

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
I've seen RD RIMM chips that are "4-device" and some that are "8-device". I think that ECC chips are "9-device". What does this mean exactly and which should I get if I mainly want fast RAM for playing games? Are the "4-device" chips faster or slower than the others?

P.S. - The setup I just bought is a 2.53 Ghz P4 processor and a GA-8IHXP Gigabyte motherboard. The RAM I'm using now is Kingston KVR1066X16-4/128 which is "4-device". I noticed that the reviews done in Tomshardware.com used 8-device Kingston. If anyone knows about this please let me know, any information you can provide will be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001

8x the size of the module for a total size of the stick
4X the size of the module for a total size of the stick

At the end i have speak with a horny lady

Mr_Roboto

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
I see now, the number of devices on a stick of memory is just the number of chips. The RAM I've got has 4 32meg chips on each stick of memory. According to that article at hardware central that means there are fewer banks than if it were 8 device, and more banks is more better. Thanks for the info guys.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
4 chip and 8 chip, 8 chip spreads the heat over a larger area, which was important for overclocking before faster chips were introduced.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>