repairing dell notebook clone

phaet2112

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I purchased a powerpro III notebook from powernotebooks.com a little over 2 years ago. They advertise as clones of Dell notebooks. The problem is that something obviously mechanical has gone buggered, and is making loud noises at the back right corner of the machine. I suspect it is a fan or something to do with the hard drive

I would appreciate some advice on how to open the case myself (ideally by removing the keyboard, and replacing the offending fan or harddrive) while it is still functioning. The warranty conviently ended after 2 years, so it would be at least $100 w/o shipping for them to even look at it.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Could you tell me a bit more about your system? Namely: CPU, Memory, Graphics, Display size.

I'm not sure whether it is a 'clone' of a Dell or not (though the chassis is certainly not quite the same - though it is quite old), Are there fans in the 'back right' corner of your notebook? Where is your Hard Disk located?

If we can compare it to a Dell model notebook, (i mean same chassis) it is very simple to give you the address of the Online Instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble your machine.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

phaet2112

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I believe it is identical/near similar to the inspiron 5000. 600 mhz pIII, ati graphics, 15" active screen, 128 mb ram. The idea with powernotebook's computers is that they are identical to dell computers, except for the harddrive, processor, and ram, which they install themselves. They buy the laptop from the same manufacturer as dell does.

You know- I found a link on dell's site for the 5000, and surprisingly enough, they have some instructions. Ill bum around there to see what I can find any certified dell users who have had the same buzzing noise. It is not the hard drive, as it is located in the front left corner of the computer, but it is where the CPU fan is located. Doh :p

Thanks for the reply
:)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phaet2112 on 01/21/03 10:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
If the noise is indeed coming from the fans, then it could be the bearing seizing, or it is clogged with dust. You can clean it using compressed air (from a hardware store), Alternately, you could open your notebook up and oil the fans, alternately you could replace the fan entirely (call dell tech support for a replacement fan).

I'm sure it is your fan.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

phaet2112

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
There was little help on the dell forums, besides several people complaining of the fan not turning on (controlled by the dell bios not functioning properly).

However, the documentation was enough to open up my powercomputing clone, and besides an obvious, but fine, layer of dust on the fan, there didnt seem to be much wrong. After cleaning it off and replacing the cover, I wonder if it might have been the screws holding the thin metal plate with the fan on it. The screws might have worked themselves loose enough after 2 years operation to make the plate or fan vibrate, since the computer turns on fine now. Or it could have been the dust.

Thanks for all the suggestions.