HELP: 3C905B & Win2K Problem

G

I have a problem setting up 3com 3C905B-TX NIC in Windows 2000. Here's what's happening. I just build a new system w/
ASUS A7V-E
AMD Duron 750 MHz
PC133 256 meg
Gainward GeForceMX400 64MB
3com 3C905B-TX
running Windows 2000

The NIC is detected and supposedly working promptly under Win2K. The Device Manager indicates the NIC is working properly. However, it actually does not get me online... I have tried both Win2K driver as well as the one from 3COM site, and neither seems to work.

I have tried my friend's Intel NIC on my PC and it works properly. Also, my NIC works in Win98 Box.

The network uses DHCP and it seems there are some communication going on (I can see sent/received bits changing). Also, in system information window, it shows that the machine has been assigned an IP address.

I have been on this thing for past three days and would greatly appreciate if some of you can help out here.

TIA,
Kesh

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What is the IP address you are seeing? If it's got an IP address other than something in the range of 169.254.XXX.XXX your driver is working properly. You can look at all the settings on a DOS command window by typing ipconfig /all. Also, does the NIC show up in the device manager with a red or yellow mark?

When you say "won't get me online" what exactly do you mean? Do you have a cable or DSL connection? Are you using a router? Can you ping the router (or any other box for that matter?) Or if no router, can you ping the first hop at the CO? Are there any proxy servers you've got to setup in your browser?

Just wondering...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

>What is the IP address you are seeing?

I did see the IP 169.254.XXX.XXX of a sort (i'm away from the PC) and no red or yellow flags in device manager either.

>When you say "won't get me online" what exactly do you mean?

The PC is on a university network (10Mbps i think). I cannot see any PC in "Network Neighborhood," cannot use browsers, and cannot check email. Donno how to ping the first hop at the CO... and again not sure about proxy server, I usually let IE takes care of it.

rather frustrating...
kesh

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK - you're not getting an IP address from a DHCP server if you've got the 169.254.xxx.xxx, thats a default address windows uses if it can't get an IP address. You can try to see if you get an IP address at a DOS prompt by typing ipconfig /renew. This will either get you a proper address, or time out.

I didn't realize you're on a University lan. The "first hop at the CO" thing doesn't apply to you.

Does the school have some sort of setup instruction sheet they give students? Thats probably where they would tell you any special settings you need, such as proxy server etc.

If you've done everything in your power to set things up correctly, I would give the University help desk a call. It sounds to me like your room is not connected to the lan properly. They would probably send a tech over to check the termination at the box in your room, and check the comms closet where you're plugged into. Something sounds like it's not right. Good luck.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

The instruction given from the school is simply "Run the network auto-config exe file." ... which basically does not alter Win2K default network setting at all.

And, the lan connection works (yep, that was the first thing i questioned). The SMC(?) as well as Intel NICs work just fine on the same connection & PC.

I will check the ip using ipconfig command later. (currectly i have given up and using SMC NIC)

I'm pretty confident it's something to do with the card and/or win2k, though... oh, well...

jlanka, thx for your help anyway!!
kesh

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Oh, I see. Yeah you're right, it does sound like the NIC now. Did you get the latest W2K drivers from the 3COM website? But if you can use the other card it's probably a moot point anyway.

Never mind the stuff about the drivers, I just re-read your original post. Well I'm stumped. Only other thing I'd try would be to put it on a different lan to see what happens.
<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jlanka on 08/31/01 08:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Yea, some 3COM's really only like to talk to other 3Com's... and don't AutoSync well - didn't you say the net was 10mbs...

Try manually setting the Xmit speed to 10BaseT(10mbs) - Its a maybe??? I've got one I have manually set...

3Com does't play well with others - that Price maker thing...

<i>I got a gun for my wife, .... best trade I ever made.</i>

G

hmm, interesting...

I'll give it a try later.

thanks guys for the help!!

kesh