Sign in with
Your question

I think I need amplification only.

Last response: in Components
September 20, 2002 4:41:08 PM

I just upgraded my system. My old motherboard had sound on board and provided enough amplification to drive my passive speakers to whatever voume I wanted. I want to continue to use those speakers. My new motherboard seems to require amplified speakers because I can barely hear anything. Is it possible to buy something that just amplifies the output? Short of that, what is a card that provides decent quality (don't need anything special) output that will drive my passive (unamplified) speakers? Thanks.

John A

More about : amplification

a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2002 7:42:19 AM

YOu must really love those things. You could get a set of Altec Lansing ATP3's for $40 that would rattle your windows, or you can spend your money on some solution to make your old speakers work.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 21, 2002 5:12:05 PM

The speakers have some sentimental value. They are the massive Kenwoods I had from college. Do sound cards produce amplified output? Maybe I could just get a sound card.

John A
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2002 5:21:36 PM

Some of the old ISA soundcards had 3w-5w amplifiers built in.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 21, 2002 5:32:04 PM

Thanks crash. I may be out of luck though. No ISA slot on my mobo.

John A
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2002 6:41:43 PM

You could get a mini 12v automotive amplifier/equaliser and fit it to a bay cover...

September 21, 2002 11:02:53 PM

Just picked up a used stereo amp at a garage sale for $5. Put some RCA adapters on the speaker wires and the line out cord and I'm back in business. Sounds great.

John A
September 24, 2002 7:14:19 PM

For the record in case anyone is wondering.

No current computer consumer audio solutions include on board amplifiers and they are all meant to be used with powered speakers or low impedance headphones from radio shack or best buy. They output the very minimum power signal to run those devices with decent quality. Much the same as a sony discman.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 09/24/02 03:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 25, 2002 4:34:39 PM

Thank you. That's what I've been assuming. I now have three different amps I got at garage sales that make up for this fact. The kids think the 25 pound passive speakers are cool.

John A
!