No PC audio coming through the HT receiver when set to the PC input

Before I just recently went to Win7, on XP I was piping audio out through an S/PDIF adapter mini-card to my HT receiver in the next room. On Win7, even though audio on the pc is just fine on it's own stereo speakers, the receiver doesn't get a signal from the pc. No wiring has changed, nothing hardware, only the OS AND the sound driver. On XP, with my ASUS mobo, I was using the ASUS recommended Realtek sound driver. On Win7 I'm using Micrsoft's built-n High Definition Audio driver. So I tried installing the latest Realtek driver. Not only still no sound to the receiver but also no sound on Skype. Unacceptable, so I uninstalled the Realtek and at least Skype works.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 44 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 383MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2A-VM HDMI (Socket AM2 )
Graphics
ASUS VH235 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5570 (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Hard Drives
313GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA)
977GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FAES-22W7A0 ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
3 answers Last reply
More about audio coming receiver input
  1. On the lack of audio to the HT receiver, I've now spoken with the techs from:
    ASUS - the maker of my mobo and s/pdif adapter card
    ONKYO - the maker of the receiver
    MICROSOFT - the OS
    No one had any idea...
  2. rootazoid said:
    the receiver doesn't get a signal from the pc

Well, NOW it does. Rambling process of discovery ahead... Going to Control Panel/Sound/Playback I do see "Digital Audio S/PDIF". Then clicking it, I see it's ENABLED but not default (which I wouldn't want). It shows it's using MS HD Audio Device. Then, under Advanced, there's a Test button. Doing the Test, I do get sound out of my living room receiver/speakers setup. Yay.

So it's not the hardware - the port, the wire, the receiver, the speakers. Good, but I pretty much knew that.

Still though, I get no sound out those living room speakers when playing any media on the PC - no mp3 sounds, no wavs, no audio on videos. So it must be some other Win7 setting. Is it that I have to make the S/PDIF the Default? Testing that...

YES, S/PDIF as the Default does get audio in the living room. :pt1cable:

But then there's no sound out the PC's own speakers! :pfff: Back on XP I don't think there was anything special I had to do to get simultaneous sound out both sets of speakers. I don't want to have to be switching the Default in the Sound Control Panel whenever I want PC media out in the living room. But that's a different question. I'll research it and if no answers come up I'll post a different question/thread.

Now, I wonder if I can make my own post the Best Answer and close the thread...
  3. Nope, cannot make my own post the Best Answer.

Then there's this, not simultaneous playback but better than nothing...

Auto-Switch Speakers (Audio Devices) Based On Primary Monitor
    http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/auto-switch-speakers-audio-devices-based-on-primary-monitor/
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Audio Windows XP Windows 7