I'm getting old and lazy.

Just bought a fujitsu siemens home entertainment pc. Windows Media
Centre Extensions. Remote control etc.

Works out of the box.

How long before I wonder what a "driver" is?

Runs everything fine. 3.2 G Northwood CPU. 1 gig of ram. Wireless built
in. FX 5500 video.

Best thing was connecting up and having my HL2 suite up and running
within an hour or so just by connecting Steam : just as well - since I
don't have the "hardcopy" :-;

The ability to go straight to live tv, record on the fly etc is excellent.

Linux my ass.
14 answers Last reply
More about lazy

    x-no-archive: yes

    OldDog wrote:

    > finally threw in the towel and took the parts back for a refund

    please don't take this as an offence
    i don't like you for your past disgusting steam propaganda
    but what i will say has nothing to do with it...

    not everyone has what it takes to assemble his own pc
    its not a job for everyone and its definitely not like "lego"
    don't feel diminished by it but you should pay for someone to
    do it or buy a factory made pc known brand

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:48:48 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Just bought a fujitsu siemens home entertainment pc. Windows Media
    >Centre Extensions. Remote control etc.
    >
    >Works out of the box.
    >
    >How long before I wonder what a "driver" is?
    >
    >Runs everything fine. 3.2 G Northwood CPU. 1 gig of ram. Wireless built
    >in. FX 5500 video.
    >
    >Best thing was connecting up and having my HL2 suite up and running
    >within an hour or so just by connecting Steam : just as well - since I
    >don't have the "hardcopy" :-;
    >
    >The ability to go straight to live tv, record on the fly etc is excellent.
    >
    >Linux my ass.

    Must be kinda uncomfortable having said object between your
    fat fanny and the chair.

    John Lewis

    "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Just bought a fujitsu siemens home entertainment pc. Windows Media Centre
    > Extensions. Remote control etc.
    >
    > Works out of the box.
    >
    > How long before I wonder what a "driver" is?
    >
    > Runs everything fine. 3.2 G Northwood CPU. 1 gig of ram. Wireless built
    > in. FX 5500 video.
    >
    > Best thing was connecting up and having my HL2 suite up and running within
    > an hour or so just by connecting Steam : just as well - since I don't have
    > the "hardcopy" :-;
    >
    > The ability to go straight to live tv, record on the fly etc is excellent.
    >
    > Linux my ass.

    Last week, I went to my local Fry's store and bought a new motherboard, AMD
    3800 X2 cpu, case, nvidia 7800 GT video card, SATA HD, and ram. I spent 3
    days trying to get it up and running.

    But ran into the following issues:

    1. manuals that were vague and incomplete
    2. a motherboard CD that would load the drivers and then cause the system
    to reboot and then prompt me to pick from 2 versions of WinXP installed. I
    only installed WinXP once.
    3. video card wouldn't work with DVI cable. I had to use a VGA adapter
    on the video card and then a VGA cable.
    4. WinXP wouldn't recognize the keyboard. I spent 4 hrs on the phone
    with MS and tried 3 different keyboards.
    5. the harddrive CD tools would boot from startup, load a P/S 2 mouse
    driver, and then hang. I have a USB mouse!
    6. had to yank an old 3.5inch floppy off a computer in the closet so I
    could load the SATA/Raid drivers during WinXP install. (note: I tried
    installing WinXP without a floppy and ran into problems. Gigabyte
    recommended that I use a floppy).

    After 3 days and several phone calls to MS, Gigabyte, Western Digital and
    Fry's pc repair, I finally threw in the towel and took the parts back for a
    refund.

    Old-and-Stupid-Dog

    Thusly "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> Spake Unto All:

    >But ran into the following issues:

    You'd have had same same but different issues with linux.

    I've spent days trying to get linux machines to see a particular
    mouse, use a particular CD-ROM and, as recently as last week, to
    recognize my particular USB memory stick. Linuxites like to pretend
    that the hardware compatibility/driver thing is now in the distant
    past, but it's not - linux still is much harder to configure if you're
    building the system yourself than XP, and you run a much bigger risk
    of getting hardware you simply can't use.

    What Walter did - buy a name-brand pre-assembled pre-installed system
    - is not the optimal way to get maximum performance for your buck, but
    it will often save you a headache.

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > You'd have had same same but different issues with linux.

    You have my sympathies, but which Linux distribution(s) were you
    using? There is no one "Linux" -- by itself, Linux is just a
    kernel. Though it includes a myriad of drivers, the tools to configure
    the drivers are not the same across all distributions.

    Personally, I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now, and had very
    few problems with the hardware recognition. Mice, SATA drives, audio,
    USB drives have all worked without any effort on my part. The only
    tricky part is that the accelerated drivers for ATi or nVidia have to
    be installed seperately, since they are not distributed under open
    source compliant licenses (they are still available through the
    standard apt/synaptic interface).

    Other distributions, and I've used/tried quite a few, have not had as
    comprehensive and automatic hardware support.

    Nick

    --
    #include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
    int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

    "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> wrote in message

    > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Just bought a fujitsu siemens home entertainment pc. Windows Media Centre
    >> Extensions. Remote control etc.
    >>
    >> Works out of the box.
    >>
    >> How long before I wonder what a "driver" is?
    >>
    >> Runs everything fine. 3.2 G Northwood CPU. 1 gig of ram. Wireless built
    >> in. FX 5500 video.
    >>
    >> Best thing was connecting up and having my HL2 suite up and running
    >> within an hour or so just by connecting Steam : just as well - since I
    >> don't have the "hardcopy" :-;
    >>
    >> The ability to go straight to live tv, record on the fly etc is
    >> excellent.
    >>
    >> Linux my ass.
    >
    > Last week, I went to my local Fry's store and bought a new motherboard,
    > AMD 3800 X2 cpu, case, nvidia 7800 GT video card, SATA HD, and ram. I
    > spent 3 days trying to get it up and running.
    >
    > But ran into the following issues:
    >
    > 1. manuals that were vague and incomplete
    > 2. a motherboard CD that would load the drivers and then cause the
    > system to reboot and then prompt me to pick from 2 versions of WinXP
    > installed. I only installed WinXP once.
    > 3. video card wouldn't work with DVI cable. I had to use a VGA adapter
    > on the video card and then a VGA cable.
    > 4. WinXP wouldn't recognize the keyboard. I spent 4 hrs on the phone
    > with MS and tried 3 different keyboards.
    > 5. the harddrive CD tools would boot from startup, load a P/S 2 mouse
    > driver, and then hang. I have a USB mouse!
    > 6. had to yank an old 3.5inch floppy off a computer in the closet so I
    > could load the SATA/Raid drivers during WinXP install. (note: I tried
    > installing WinXP without a floppy and ran into problems. Gigabyte
    > recommended that I use a floppy).
    >
    > After 3 days and several phone calls to MS, Gigabyte, Western Digital and
    > Fry's pc repair, I finally threw in the towel and took the parts back for
    > a refund.
    >
    > Old-and-Stupid-Dog

    my own recent build went a little differently than yours. Sorry to hear
    about your woes. Really wish i could have helped out.
    I put together a new rig; AMD A64 X2 4800+ on a GA-K8NS-939Ultra (yep
    that's an nforce3 ultra with AGP, not PCI-e), 2 x 1g PC3200 in dual channel.
    Had to flash the bios FROM the bios with the bin on a floppy disk. It just
    didn't 'take' any other way nor would the bios pass control to an op sys
    until the bios was updated to recognize the X2 CPU. Did not use a sata
    drive so bypassed installing sata drivers completely. Install both Win
    64bit and xP Pro regular 32 bit, dual boot. All was ok except that DVD
    functions with ANY DVDRW drive would be corrupted data.
    Reformat, install only XP Pro 32 bit, get up to desktop, install nforce3
    drivers, all the latest ones. Found that the newest IdE driver would cause
    probs so installed the latest nvidia ide driver before that one. All cd/dvd
    stuff works perfect now. Rig is solid and stable, nothing overclocked. It
    runs rings around my P4 3.0E with 2 gigs.
    Using the same eVGA 6800GT i've been using since may. Put a Ti4600 in the
    P4 rig :)
    You might be an old dog, but you don't strike me as stupid. A little short
    on patience maybe. I also built this rig to a running state at the shop
    where I bought all the parts. I did this because the guy I buy from
    guarantees ALL the parts and labor for a full year himself *if* he
    supervises the build :) SO. This old dog knows that's a good thing and did
    just that :)
    Using the X2 on a 939 AGP board is something he hadn't done yet. We talked
    it over before ordering any parts. Gigabyte site says most all of their 939
    socket boards will work fine with the dual core CPU's with just a BIOS
    update. They were right about this one for sure.
    In a couple more months, i will probably get a PCI-e mobo, a new (either ATI
    or Nvidia) vid card, and a A64 3800+ or higher single core CPU.
    I hope you don't give up the new build completely. the end results here
    were well worth the 3 days of messing with it all to get it 'right' :)
    McG.

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > OldDog wrote:
    >
    >> finally threw in the towel and took the parts back for a refund
    >
    > please don't take this as an offence
    > i don't like you for your past disgusting steam propaganda
    > but what i will say has nothing to do with it...

    I'm not offended that you "dislike" me because of my opinion on Steam.

    > not everyone has what it takes to assemble his own pc
    > its not a job for everyone and its definitely not like "lego"
    > don't feel diminished by it but you should pay for someone to
    > do it or buy a factory made pc known brand

    I guess after 6 years of working on analog/digital computers on subs, 5
    years of going to college at night to earn my BS in EE, and several years of
    using & upgrading pcs that I just have to realize that I don't have what it
    takes to assembly my own pc. :-(

    ps Can't wait for the PS3 to come out so I can unpack it from the box. I
    just hope that my daughter is around so she can hook it up for me. :)

    <snip>
    > You might be an old dog, but you don't strike me as stupid. A little
    > short on patience maybe. I also built this rig to a running state at the
    > shop where I bought all the parts. I did this because the guy I buy from
    > guarantees ALL the parts and labor for a full year himself *if* he
    > supervises the build :) SO. This old dog knows that's a good thing and
    > did just that :)

    I thought about sticking it out for another couple of days. But it was
    coming down to either a bad motherboard, RAM stick, video card, and/or some
    obscure BIOS setting that I was unaware of. I started looking at how much
    I spent, my time, and decided enough was enough.

    Fry's did tell me that they would install WinXP and fix/swap out any bad
    parts. They only wanted about $65. I was tempted but decided to return
    the items.

    Plus I hear there's something new & better coming out next week. ;-)

    "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> writes:

    > 2. a motherboard CD that would load the drivers and then cause the system
    > to reboot and then prompt me to pick from 2 versions of WinXP installed. I
    > only installed WinXP once.

    Well, there could've been fault in one or more of the components you
    bought, but isn't this just asking for it? It's nice that companies
    include those CD thingies with hardware, you can use them as christmas
    tree decorations or something. But actually installing software from
    them? Old driver versions, possibly with viruses included? No thanks,
    I'll get mine from the net.

    > <snip>
    >> You might be an old dog, but you don't strike me as stupid. A little
    >> short on patience maybe. I also built this rig to a running state at the
    >> shop where I bought all the parts. I did this because the guy I buy from
    >> guarantees ALL the parts and labor for a full year himself *if* he
    >> supervises the build :) SO. This old dog knows that's a good thing and
    >> did just that :)
    >
    > I thought about sticking it out for another couple of days. But it was
    > coming down to either a bad motherboard, RAM stick, video card, and/or
    > some obscure BIOS setting that I was unaware of. I started looking at
    > how much I spent, my time, and decided enough was enough.
    >
    > Fry's did tell me that they would install WinXP and fix/swap out any bad
    > parts. They only wanted about $65. I was tempted but decided to return
    > the items.
    >
    > Plus I hear there's something new & better coming out next week. ;-)

    I heard that! :)
    McG.

    Hi,

    You have done the unconscionable. For punishment, you are sentenced to
    run HL2 on an FX5500.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Next quarterly reports we'll see
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | windfall profits from energy companies

    OldDog wrote:

    > Last week, I went to my local Fry's store and bought a new motherboard, AMD
    > 3800 X2 cpu, case, nvidia 7800 GT video card, SATA HD, and ram. I spent 3
    > days trying to get it up and running.
    >
    > But ran into the following issues:

    [snipped description of problems]

    > After 3 days and several phone calls to MS, Gigabyte, Western Digital and
    > Fry's pc repair, I finally threw in the towel and took the parts back for a
    > refund.
    >
    > Old-and-Stupid-Dog

    Why stupid? Only because You couldn't manage to have several components
    made by cheap-ass manufacturers with basically no quality control
    running together? Especially mainboards, RAM, PSUs and gfx cards are
    made with priority to featuritis and illuminated fans than on
    reliability and durability. Just look on how few BIOSes lock the ATA
    security function correctly so that it can't be used by viri to lock
    Your hard drive...

    I stopped building by myself years ago and only buy brandname (IBM and
    Dell in the past, now its HP), but not the el-cheapo consumer lines
    (like IBM Aptiva, HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario) but business products.
    My current computer (a HP xw8200 Dual XEON 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, 2x 250GB
    SATA, PNY Geforce 6600GT) would have cost me around 50-100EUR more(!) if
    I would have built the system by myself with generic components. So I
    not only saved some money, but I alos have a nice-looking system which
    is very quiet, extremely stable, and has a 3 year next business day
    warranty. And if something fails I don't have to talk to different
    manuafcturers which don't know what service really is and that are only
    busy in telling me that it's not the fault of their product but of a
    component from a different manufacturer.

    Self builing is IMHO ok if You do it for fun and out of interest, or if
    You need a config that's not available otherwise, or if You really like
    these modding thingies. But the old argument that only self-building
    gives You the best components available simply isn't true. And at least
    for me my sparse free time is much too valuable to waste it with
    non-working el-cheapo components...

    Benjamin

    x-no-archive: yes

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > I stopped building by myself years ago and only buy brandname

    in my opinion there are 3 big advantages to assemble yourself:

    1. you don't need to buy all parts to assemble a new pc
    cause you can use some parts from older computers if you
    have them like for example the case, the floppy, cd-rom
    reader, the hard disk etc and this will makes it cheaper

    2. you don't need to buy everything at the same time and
    you can buy each part when you have the money available
    like you can start by buying a motherboard now and next
    month the cpu and two months from now the memories etc
    so it will be easier on you if you are low on cash

    3. you will be able to run the computer even incomplete
    cause if you have the base you can at least boot and do
    the operating system install and use as far as you can
    go with the hardware you have and obviously wait until
    you can buy the rest and finish assemble

    all these are economical reasons
    but its obvious you don't have that problem so for you
    they are no advantages but for others with low income
    its really the best way to buy a new pc

    --

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:21:36 +0200, Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm.... that's odd..........
    >>
    >> I have a p4-3.2 based computer built out of so-called ( by your
    >> standards ) cheap components - actually very high quality ones --
    >> running flawlessly for the past 2+ years.
    >
    >Fine. You had luck.

    Nope. Just high quality components from reputable manufacturers.
    But I have been building PCs for the past 6 or 7 years and do have
    the benefit of professional electronics qualifications and electronics
    hardware building experience for a much longer number of years.
    Five of these PCs are distributed amongst my family members, all
    still running fine. Just need to blow out the dust and occasionally
    re-lubricate fans. I did have to replace 3 capacitors on a 5-year old
    motherboard about 6 months ago, but that was partly my fault. The
    capacitors were in a poorly-ventilated space next to the CPU; I had
    failed to install a case fan and the electrolyte had dried out. 2 IBM
    Deskstar disk failures..many of your (er) 'reputable' brand-name
    system builders were caught out by the Deskstar design problems.
    No loss of data.. the problem always started off as an intermittent
    failure to spin-up before becoming permanent. Enough warning to
    retrieve all data. Had to recover data and repair a Dell computer for
    a friend of mine with a 60 Gbyte Deskstar drive that failed in exactly
    the same way. Replaced with a 60 Gbyte Western Digital -- no
    further problems.

    John Lewis

PC gaming Fujitsu Siemens Video Games